SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Hopefully they will be able to accommodate everyone then. I never trust a government run operation.

I agree with you on that one. I was stationed at Homestead AFB back when Hurricane Hugo hit South Carolina, since our parent unit was there, we took a 10 vehicle convoy of M35 / M40 up there to help along with our refer boxes and field kitchen.

We set up at the armory near Shaw AFB, our food services cadre fed all the folks coming there for insurance, relief, shelter needs. The rest of us delivered food / chainsaw crews, etc.

They had us sleeping inside with some of the shelter residents, that was enough to convince me to not use that option unless absolutely necessary.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Good news - some of the folks unconcerned with this are still in the keys, riding out to the Southern Most Point and taking selfies and such.... That shot should get interesting in a day!

Key West cam

Well, that camera is offline. Hope the chicken is wingin' it ok.

However there are a couple folks on beach at Windjammer, and a dude flying a kite....

Breezy here.....

That dude is an idiot, watched him get dragged around several times and a couple of onlookers stop with a look of disbelief.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Miami bringing the homeless in with or without their cooperation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...s-as-irma-nears.html

Clearly a portion of them aren't rational, but invoking a Baker Act on a homeless person to force them into shelter isn't best.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Speaking of idiots...

Virginia Govenor Terry McAwful declared that because of Hurricane Irma a STATE OF EMERGENCY existed in the Commonwealth...

... starting yesterday. When the storm was more than 1,000 miles away. And not on a track to reach Virginia. Ever.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

Irma Churns along North Cuba Coast

https://www.wunderground.com/c...ong-north-cuba-coast

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well, the two couples in the campsites across from us decided to go back to Daytona: TODAY?!?

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Good news - some of the folks unconcerned with this are still in the keys, riding out to the Southern Most Point and taking selfies and such.... That shot should get interesting in a day!

Key West cam

Well, that camera is offline. Hope the chicken is wingin' it ok.

However there are a couple folks on beach at Windjammer, and a dude flying a kite....

Breezy here.....

Kite flying guy is gone but now there was a surfer just wrapping it up walking back to the resort. It boggles my mind when I see this. Every time I see someone surfing in pre-hurricane surf it's rough and choppy and looks very undesirable for surfing.

Here's a note from below the live webcam on their website. I'm guessing they are going to need to increase the budget for the renovations that begin today
quote:
The Windjammer is closing on September 9th for 3 weeks for our annual renovations. During this time the office is open from 9:00am-5:00pm to answer questions and book future stays. We open again on September 30th to visitors.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Speaking of idiots...

Virginia Govenor Terry McAwful declared that because of Hurricane Irma a STATE OF EMERGENCY existed in the Commonwealth...

... starting yesterday. When the storm was more than 1,000 miles away. And not on a track to reach Virginia. Ever.

Him as Governor IS an emergency!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Of course. I am just intrigued as to their natural instincts and ability to recognize these storms.

quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Yes, standby for snakes & gators to be spread into unusual areas. Maybe load that revolver with snake shot and hardcast.
[/QUOTE]

They haven't survived millions of years by just luck. Smile. They'll be here when we are all long gone.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
So I over prepared and it looks like Irma might travel west. Bought a generator at harbor freight. Just set it up and was going to do the couple of slow pulls on the starter to get oil up in the engine. It started on the first pull. Never even had a Honda engine start that easily.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
The military was going to try and get a C-130 in to evacuate the American's but I understand because of damage to the runway it didn't happen.

Given the C-130 is a rough surface capable aircraft, PJ airport must be destroyed.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had not watched any television coverage until this morning. It is overhyped and ridiculous. It seems to get worse every year.

There are some basic things you can do so you do not get hurt or die. Most injuries are AFTER the storm passes when people cut themselves with chain saws, fall off roofs and do heavy manual labor. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, site of the two HIGHEST storm surges ever to hit the United States. The surge was 27.8 feet in Pass Christian, Ms. That was the killer. The shelters are not located in surge areas, and you will be safe from the water. People were told to drive ten miles inland to be safe from the water and they made it out just fine. Those Forum members that have family in designated shelters will be miserable but safe.

Hurricane-force winds reached coastal Mississippi by 2 a.m. and lasted over 17 hours, spawning 11 tornadoes (51 in other states) and a 28-foot (9 m) storm surge flooding 6–12 miles (10–19 km) inland.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
To lighten the mood a little....

Up here in the Florida panhandle, we are very storm wary, and do not put a whole lot of confidence in hurricane forecasting due to some pretty big misses with Opal, Ivan! Katrina etc.

So as the forecast shifted a bit west, there are always a few outlier models that show more than will happen.

My panicky sister in law put on blast, group text, Facebook whatever, she said,
"The spaghetti noodles have shifted our way! The spaghetti noodles are moving west!"

It kinda made me hungry for Italian.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, as a 50+ year Florida resident, and someone who's seen numerous storms over the years, it important to remember that until this storm makes its turn northward, the weathermen and their computers are simply guessing where this thing is going. Sometime tonight or tomorrow morning we'll all begin to see where this thing will actually hit. Everyone hang in there, stay calm, and keep watching the NWS/NOAA updates.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the two couples in the campsites across from us decided to go back to Daytona: TODAY?!?

Yeah. It always surprises me how stupid some people can be.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The outlook for Orlando is now showing a bit more rain and a bit lower wind speed. I guess that makes sense if the projected track is now further west. The storm would be picking up more moisture from the Gulf and dropping it on us, while the concentration of higher winds will be further from us.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The outlook for Orlando is now showing a bit more rain and a bit lower wind speed. I guess that makes sense if the projected track is now further west. The storm would be picking up more moisture from the Gulf and dropping it on us, while the concentration of higher winds will be further from us.
Correct, but remember what Charlie did to us in the final hours before it came ashore. Wait for the turn, and then we'll have a much better idea of the potential storm track and impacts.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
quote:
Florida's Governor says they have 200 shelters open. Assuming each shelter could hold 1000 people, that's a very small percentage of the population. The governor keeps pledging with people to go to a shelter. Can he count? Or are people just not going?

Watching a local news report yesterday afternoon, Robert Morgan VoTech was being opened (previously unscheduled) as a shelter and before they were set up had 700 people in a line outside the gate.

Hopefully they will be able to accommodate everyone then. I never trust a government run operation.

Yet everyone wants them to run nation reciprocity.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Watching the track shift west I am leaning towards staying in Jax instead of evacuating west to Tallahassee. We'll decide tonight or tomorrow morning.

I rearranged the garage, moved the kayak and the motorcycle into the house (the bike looks awesome sitting in the living room) in order to fit both vehicles in the garage.

Once the storm makes its turn north we will be able to get some useful information instead of all the guesses. I expect that the proposed tracks will continue to shift west until the turn occurs.

Until then we are prepared for both options but it looks more and more like we will be staying here in Jax.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Yet everyone wants them to run nation reciprocity.

What's to run?

National reciprocity simply means a state-issued license to carry a concealed firearm is valid in every other state.

It is not a plan for a fed.gov issued license to carry a concealed firearm.

Nice is overrated