SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't want an electric car
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't want an electric car Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Read my whole post, don’t selectively quote me. Think about it and consider that I wasn’t even talking to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna stick my nose in where it wasn't invited, and make a respectful suggestion to stickman.

A couple people have indicated that they don't want to discuss electric bikes in this thread, because the thread is about electric cars.

I believe that they are correct. However, I am interested in hearing about electric bikes*. How about discussing these in a different thread?
*Actually, I'm really interested in an affordable adult tricycle with electric boost. I'm 87, I have not fully recovered from Guillain Barré, and my balance sucks (I can trip over a pebble). I no longer trust myself on a two-wheeler, so I sold my last motorcycle and my bicycles. I would really like to have a three-wheeler, maybe three or seven speed, that I can ride to get some exercise. Electric assist to get me back home if I run out of steam. There's an old railroad right-of-way with access to it in our gated community, that has been paved over for bicycles, pedestrians, joggers, etc., so I would have a safe place to ride if I could find a trike that I could afford.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Experience has taught me to give members a bit more leeway these days to work things out. It's a show of faith in the people here, who know what is expected of them. And, to be quite honest, members know that I am watching. I always hope that things will be worked out, without need of my intervention, but the time has come for me to tell you guys that that's the end of it.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Was at a car club meeting tonight. The guest speaker was a well known expert in vehicle performance modifications. He gave a good presentation up until he started down the road of all vehicles will be electric very soon and all of our old beloved muscle and classic cars will have to be converted.

There is of course a solution! You can get an electric motor that bolts right up to your standard transmission and a battery pack to power you down the road. Now your T-Bucket, '57 Chevy, '59 Thunderbird, '69 Super Bee, '70 Olds 442, '71 Corvette, etc can all be converted to electric. That got a lot of quiet and disgusted looks from those in attendance.

AND! it only costs $110K at the moment....

Yeah.... I'm sure people are dying to replace this

with this

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Such mods are sacrilegious. Thats an expensive way to ruin a beautiful classic car.

New tech done in this way is bullshit. It’s uncreative and infuriating.

I love EVs but don’t want to live in a world that bastardizes the classics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fisker Slashes Price Of Its Only Model By 39% In Last-Ditch Bid To Stay Solvent

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...tch-bid-stay-solvent

Electric carmaker Fisker is doing everything it can to try and not wind up roadkill on the EV highway amidst industry-wide price cutting and worldwide saturation in competition.

This week Fisker, which is rumored to be on the verge of considering bankruptcy and has seen its stock trade to pennies and be moved to the pink sheets, reduced the price of its only vehicle, the Ocean sport utility vehicle, by a stunning 39%, according to Bloomberg.

The discount applies only to the top end "Extreme" model of the Ocean, which, post-discount, is priced at $37,499. The price cut marks a $24,000 discount to the model's original MSRP.

Just days ago we wrote that Nissan was the latest to try and slash costs by 30% just to remain competitive in EVs. Similarly, we have noted that auto companies are slashing investment in EVs, as is the case with American auto manufacturers like Ford and GM. We wrote last month that Joe Biden's vision for EVs across America is in "full collapse".

As we wrote then: "...the higher costs are driving automakers away from EVs. And as battery material requirements are set to double by 2027, fulfilling these mandates will be increasingly difficult, putting Biden's ambitious EV strategy at risk."

Thinktanks like Brownstone have simply noted that when it comes to EVs, "the great reset didn't work".

Recall, a report from Consumer Reports last year found that electric vehicles have almost 80% more problems and are "generally less reliable" than conventional internal combustion engine cars.

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...nsumer-reports-finds

A new report from Consumer Reports found that electric vehicles have almost 80% more problems and are "generally less reliable" than conventional internal combustion engine cars. Good thing every major government around the world is subsidizing their use in the name of 'climate change', right?

Even worse than electric vehicles were plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, which were found to have 150% more issues than traditional ICE vehicles, CBS reported. Ordinary hybrids are the best of the breed, with about 25% less problems than gas cars, the study found.

The study encompassed information from over 330,000 vehicles produced from 2000 to 2023, including a limited number of reports on brand-new 2024 models.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The E-Ray Vette

It sounded stupid when I first took a course on it. AWD but only the front is electric driven, no plug in. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. You can drive electric only at low speeds (stealth mode) if you want. BTW, Stingrays are not getting MSRP or above anymore

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/e-ray

The E Ray, wah, wah, wahhhhhh

Roll Eyes

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely nowhere near considering any of the EVs, but there are a few that at least look decent.
Rivian has a solid good looking lineup, the new R2 & R3 can hopefully put a dent in Tesla Model 3/Y sales.

Will be nice if the prices start to creep down to comparable ICE pricing.

A bummer about Fisker, the Ocean is a decent looking SUV as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this here.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8853 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rimac is an outlier, being a limited run & a starting price of $2.2M
Still pretty awsome.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The most efficient animal on the planet is the condor.

I got wildebeest
Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I chimed in on this thread.

I still think it’s BS mandating EV’s.

I bought these because I think they are cool and fun to use. Not to save the planet from anything.

I was surprised to see the E bike vs EV dust up.

Regardless here’s my E fleet. Something for Stickman and others…

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3485 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PR64:
Been a while since I chimed in on this thread.

I still think it’s BS mandating EV’s.

I bought these because I think they are cool and fun to use. Not to save the planet from anything.

I was surprised to see the E bike vs EV dust up.

Regardless here’s my E fleet. Something for Stickman and others…

That bicycle is super cool.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Until the government is willing to give me $30,000 to build a garage to be able to charge my car off the street, $6,000 to upgrade my 100A service to 200A and $1,500 for a charger, they can kiss my ass and I'll continue to buy and drive good old fashioned gasoline cars.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be fair, 90% of the modern electric cars are still on the road today.

The other 10% have made it ALL the way home.

Posts: 7 | Registered: March 20, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
with this

It's a case by case basis, but one gorgeous classic car that would be fantastic with an EV replacement is a DeLorean. That PRV V6 is pure trash and any other engine swap get ludicrous in price while an EV powertrain would probably help it's weight distribution while actually getting a DeLorean to 88 mph...

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Biden promised to install thousands of EV chargers. Only 7 have been built.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
with this

It's a case by case basis, but one gorgeous classic car that would be fantastic with an EV replacement is a DeLorean. That PRV V6 is pure trash and any other engine swap get ludicrous in price while an EV powertrain would probably help it's weight distribution while actually getting a DeLorean to 88 mph...

Are the LS swaps really expensive for a DeLorean!? I guess the low production numbers for kits and the exclusivity of such a project could make it $$$$. Being rear engine probably does complicate things quite a bit.

You might actually be right that an EV conversion kit for a DeLorean would be less expensive than the alternatives. It is a very unique car.

I’ve always wanted a DeLorean but I think the ownership experience probably wouldn’t live up to my expectations.

I recently stumbled upon a YouTube channel where a person much like myself eager to find the deals and not scared to wrench on a car scooped up what appeared to be a clean Porsche 911 (996) in need of TLC only to discover coolant was slowly leaking into the engine. From the little bit of research I’ve done it seems rear engine sports cars are DAMN EXPENSIVE to fix, maintain and modify. Especially when there is a Porsche emblem involved.

With that said I still lust for a 996 Turbo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Until the government is willing to give me $30,000 to build a garage to be able to charge my car off the street, $6,000 to upgrade my 100A service to 200A and $1,500 for a charger, they can kiss my ass and I'll continue to buy and drive good old fashioned gasoline cars.

Don't forget the cost of charging is typically just as much or more than you would pay for gasoline...especially out here in California where PG&E gouges the hell out of us for electricity...and the fact that the battery of said EV will be dead long before a modern ICE car would ever give up the ghost.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Electric transportation simply isn’t ready for prime time in the US, or even the world at large for those of us that like to hit the road for more than a day or two. We make a week trip to Ocean City MD every summer. Not only is it not viable to load 4 people, a dog, and all our stuff into an electric anything, the charging infrastructure does not exist there. There’s no doubt that electric has potential for certain activities but for the average person? Not yet by a long shot. I am waiting to watch California either implode under the weight of mandated EV’s or the people to collectively admit it’s not working.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post