SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't want an electric car
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't want an electric car Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This morning about 9:30am my auto thermometer showed 12 Degrees. I rounded a curve on 4 lane Old Hickory & a Tesla was dead in a lane.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4284 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fella I know has one , he got to try it out in 10 inches of snow in iowa city last week.
He said it went up the steepest hill in town perfectly without a concern.

Better than some four wheel and all wheel drives that were slipping and a sliding àround ,
Some going backward

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
A fella I know has one , he got to try it out in 10 inches of snow in iowa city last week.
He said it went up the steepest hill in town perfectly without a concern.

Better than some four wheel and all wheel drives that were slipping and a sliding àround ,
Some going backward

Their regen is great for descending very steep very slippery hills. It's as controllable as my truck in 4LO and way more intuitive. Basically comes down to "never touch that brake pedal" while timingly switching into 4LO and then choosing right gear requires some brain activity. I don't mind, but many people don't bother learning this stuff (and end up in these "another pileup on Kingsbury grade" videos on youtube). So theoretically Trsla would save them from themselves, provided they don't forget to charge it in time.

Posts: 119 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now Volvo is pulling out of its deal with Chicom EV maker Polestar:

Volvo Cars shares surged more than 20% on Thursday after the Swedish automaker announced it will stop funding subsidiary Polestar Automotive.

These makers are all starting to realize this ain't working out

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Now Volvo is pulling out of its deal with Chicom EV maker Polestar

Polestar isn't a EV maker.

Polestar started as a tuner of Volvos, much like AMG produced tuned Mercedes. Like Mercedes buying AMG, Volvo bought Polestar to market as their performance brand. Greely is the PRC company that bought into Volvo and has taken over producing performance Volvos, marketed as Polestar...their first model was a hybird powdered car with both turbo charger and supercharger. As a reviewer said, "You'd better get the extended powertrain warranty with this one."

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Actually, Polestar IS an EV maker now, as currently that's all they produce! And they do build them in China, though they also build vehicles in other countries.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

Polestar isn't a EV maker.

The report I heard on the radio specifically stated that Volvo is cancelling their agreement/partnership or whatever they had with Polestar regarding EV's

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I’m in the same boat. I drive a lot for work. It might be 50 miles one day might be 400 or more another. And of course work has decided to try to push us to electrics. Car options this year are two electrics and two hybrid, anyone not doing field service can only get an electric. Of the two EV’s, the one they want us to pick only has 222 mile range (theoretically) and it’s small. The other is a Tesla model three which has even less storage for tools and equipment but has 340 miles range. If you take an electric, they’ll also provide a level two charger and 1500 bucks towards installing it and say that in two years the only options will be ev. Not sure how that’ll work with people who are renting or in a place where they can’t power a charger.

The charge payment card that they provide is only for ChargePoint, it looks like ChargePoint is mostly level one chargers and their level twos are about 25 mph charging. So there’s a good chance that I might have to stop and charge for a couple hours or more just to get home some days. Screw that mess.

My beater is a grand Cherokee diesel. I like being able to just stop, fill it up and keep driving.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
I’m in the same boat. I drive a lot for work. It might be 50 miles one day might be 400 or more another. And of course work has decided to try to push us to electrics. Car options this year are two electrics and two hybrid, anyone not doing field service can only get an electric. Of the two EV’s, the one they want us to pick only has 222 mile range (theoretically) and it’s small. The other is a Tesla model three which has even less storage for tools and equipment but has 340 miles range. If you take an electric, they’ll also provide a level two charger and 1500 bucks towards installing it and say that in two years the only options will be ev. Not sure how that’ll work with people who are renting or in a place where they can’t power a charger.

The charge payment card that they provide is only for ChargePoint, it looks like ChargePoint is mostly level one chargers and their level twos are about 25 mph charging. So there’s a good chance that I might have to stop and charge for a couple hours or more just to get home some days. Screw that mess.

My beater is a grand Cherokee diesel. I like being able to just stop, fill it up and keep driving.

We recently sold our GC Diesel after owning it for 10 years. It was a great suv for long trips. We ended up getting a Model Y long range to replace it and even though we’re still learning the nuances we are happy to make the switch.

I would strongly urge you to get the model 3 of the 2 choices you mentioned. By using the Tesla charging network (which you just have your business card tied to your Tesla account) there is no card needed when charging. That and the abundance of Tesla Super Charges across the US made that decision easy.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crash tests indicate nation’s guardrail system can’t handle heavy electric vehicles

BY MARGERY A. BECK
Updated 5:09 PM CST, January 31, 2024

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Electric vehicles that typically weigh more than gasoline-powered cars can easily crash through steel highway guardrails that are not designed to withstand the extra force, raising concerns about the nation’s roadside safety system, according to crash test data released Wednesday by the University of Nebraska.

Electric vehicles typically weigh 20% to 50% more than gas-powered vehicles thanks to batteries that can weigh almost as much as a small gas-powered car. And they have lower centers of gravity. Because of these differences, guardrails can do little to stop electric vehicles from pushing through barriers typically made of steel.

Last fall, engineers at Nebraska’s Midwest Roadside Safety Facility watched as an electric-powered pickup truck hurtled toward a guardrail installed on the facility’s testing ground on the edge of the local municipal airport. The nearly 4-ton (3.6 metric ton) 2022 Rivian R1T tore through the metal guardrail and hardly slowed until hitting a concrete barrier yards away on the other side...

Complete article:

https://apnews.com/article/ele...d0f63a6dd9357f663fce

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
A model 3 P weighs as much as my truck. The new EV trucks are even more ridiculous. 6000 lbs, 7000 lbs (Rivian). Meanwhile my 10 year old EV hatch weighs around 3300 lbs, IE the same as a gas car equivalent. I’m all for EV’s for local driving, daily driver type stuff, but anything else, meh. Plan on swapping mine out in another year or two for a newer one with more range but in my fleet it will remain the only electric. Weight is definitely something I look at when researching any possible vehicle. Physics is physics. In inclement weather you definitely notice the increase in weight and you notice it in the corners as well. Incredible what some of these things weigh. The weight alone rules it off my list. And it’s going to end up with us sane EV drivers having to pay a got damn EV tax because of the behomeths. When everyone is driving heavier vehicles they will tear the roads up that much quicker.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Hummer EV is just shy of 10k lbs
IIRC, the battery pack alone weighs about as much as a Civic

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15388 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Incredible what some of these things weigh. The weight alone rules it off my list. And it’s going to end up with us sane EV drivers having to pay a got damn EV tax because of the behomeths. When everyone is driving heavier vehicles they will tear the roads up that much quicker.
In many states, the annual registration fee is keyed to the vehicle weight.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tennessee has a $200/yr added registration fee to replace the lost gasoline tax. In TN 100% of gasoline tax goes to build & repair roads.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4284 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wish you could buy a nice car these days that does not have electric door locks and power windows.

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Let's not get carried away here...That's crazy talk! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8961 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I wish you could buy a nice car these days that does not have electric door locks and power windows.
My 1978 Mercedes 240D did not have electric door locks. They were vacuum operated. The driver's door was the "master" and the other three doors, the fuel filler flap, and the trunk, were all slaved to lock / unlock in sync with the driver's door.

The beauty of this system was that every few years a leak would develop in the plumbing, leading to the question that was never answered: When the vacuum leaks out, where does it go?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30741 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: The whole "push" is ripe with dishonesty. Green my ass!

‘Overcharged’: Major Study Reveals Alarming True Cost of Owning an EV, ‘Fueling’ Equal to $17.33 Per Gallon

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ng-true-cost-owning/

And even when asked about 60% of electric is still generated with those evil fossil fuels without a clue how to replace it, they blabber on

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

My 1978 Mercedes 240D did not have electric door locks. They were vacuum operated. The driver's door was the "master" and the other three doors, the fuel filler flap, and the trunk, were all slaved to lock / unlock in sync with the driver's door.

The beauty of this system was that every few years a leak would develop in the plumbing, leading to the question that was never answered: When the vacuum leaks out, where does it go?

My 240D had a golf tee blocking off the central locking. I think the transmission was also tied into the vacuum system & the door locks had an issue that caused odd shifting.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15388 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post