SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't want an electric car
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't want an electric car Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

https://www.denverpost.com/202...oulder-firefighters/

Electric vehicle catches fire, explodes in Boulder garage Saturday morning

No injuries were reported and the family evacuated safely, according to Boulder Fire-Rescue

I wonder how toxic the house and all the contents are now?

In my 30 year flying career I experienced at least one of every kind of emergency except a fire. (Well, there was a nosewheel fire in an ancient Cessna with an updraft carburetor, but we were parked and it was quickly extinguished..)

A rechargeable battery fire in an aircraft cargo hold is the biggest nightmare scenario these days. In the cabin the flight attendants are trained, and have equipment, to extinguish a battery fire, and yes it has happened more than once already.

A small laptop battery fire in cargo would be a disaster. Thinking about what a thousand pounds of car battery would do is just mind boggling.

Posts: 9631 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

A small laptop battery fire in cargo would be a disaster. Thinking about what a thousand pounds of car battery would do is just mind boggling.

I'm sure you're aware of this tragic incident. Nightmare scenario indeed...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30754 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of stories about people transitioning from horse's to horseless carriages as well.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55016 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good friend of mine was restoring a 70s era Z-car and was making it electric. Had it parked in his shop next to his beautifully restored 56 Ford truck, all of his tools, etc.... Burned the shop and everything in it to the ground.

Posts: 20350 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
It was a Volvo hybrid.

Not a EV but regardless not a good situation.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3580 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Technically, it was a 'Plug-In' Hybrid, so for all intents & purposes, an EV...Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9259 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m excited about the future of Tesla. Installed their wall charging connector in the garage already, even though I haven’t purchased a Tesla yet. Been buying the heck out of their stock though, the last year and a half.

Posts: 346 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this is too good to be true

On the KTLA website, someone stole a Tesla.

https://ktla.com/news/local-ne...wood-police-pursuit/

A police chase ensues

Tesla battery dies...

sounds like the best possible outcome

Posts: 53584 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
this is too good to be true

On the KTLA website, someone stole a Tesla.

https://ktla.com/news/local-ne...wood-police-pursuit/

A police chase ensues

Tesla battery dies...

sounds like the best possible outcome

I don’t get it. Has a car never run out of gas while running from the police?

Posts: 3970 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I've not been keeping track...but its the first time that I've read a story about a stolen electric vehicle that has the battery die in the middle of a chase

Posts: 53584 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
It wouldn’t make the news when a car ran out of gas in a police chase…

It doesn’t make the news when ICE cars catch on fire…

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3580 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thought of this thread this morning.
Saw an HPD cruiser on my commute, a Ford Mach-E

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15750 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes , it could have run out of juice,

Much more likely the owner got notified and just shut the car down.

I am pretty sure neither the reporter didn't speak with the owner.
To obtain all the facts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55016 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Yes , it could have run out of juice,

Much more likely the owner got notified and just shut the car down.

I am pretty sure neither the reporter didn't speak with the owner.
To obtain all the facts

I belong to the Mach E forum and a few have had their Mach stolen. It takes a certain level of sophistication and knowledge to steal EV car. Usually the first thing the thieves do is to disconnect the connection of the vehicle from the owner. Once that happens there is nothing you can do. You can’t track it…nothing.

You would think that there would be some sort of verification to disconnect but there isn’t.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
And now you have scumbags doing this to the charging stations:

Copper Scrappers Target Tesla Superchargers As Metal Prices Soar

No thanks, I'll stick with gas

Posts: 34277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ And this is why we can't have nice things... Roll Eyes

How will Musk protect Superchargers from thieves?

More importantly, violent crime and theft are a byproduct of failed social justice warriors in progressive states and metro areas that care very little about law and order and more about the destruction of the country.

https://twitter.com/ClownWorld...rs-metal-prices-soar

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24407 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Ooh! Ooh! I meant to post this last week, and totally let it slip my mind.

There's a fellow I know who's a pompous, arrogant, snotty, "I'm way better than you" sort of guy, and he likes to brag about running Ludicrous Mode full-time in his high-dollar Tesla. (Evidently you're just supposed to use that in small doses.)

Anyway, he's come to this end of the country from that end of the country, to "reorganize and reinvigorate the company," and has in the process made a bad impression on a lot of people. As the story came to me, he arrived at work one particular day a week or so ago, rolled around back, and plugged his car into the shore power port (which was installed for the calibration team's use) to charge (as he evidently does every day). [Why bother charging at home, when you can let the company pay for it, right?] The "corporate" fellas were there waiting for him, apparently with his walking papers.

Why is any of that relevant to this thread? Because as the story goes, he had to wait for an hour -- in his car -- for it to charge before he could leave the premises.

That had to be absolutely infuriating, as well as embarrassing. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13673 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
The "corporate" fellas were there waiting for him, apparently with his walking papers.

Why is any of that relevant to this thread? Because as the story goes, he had to wait for an hour -- in his car -- for it to charge before he could leave the premises.

There's the Walk of Shame and then there's the Charge of Shame

Posts: 34277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At least when an ICE car's fuel catches fire, it takes a chain of events (leak of fuel and an ignition source) to occur. Battery fires occur of their own accord through an internal fault.

Posts: 28340 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
And now you have scumbags doing this to the charging stations:

Copper Scrappers Target Tesla Superchargers As Metal Prices Soar

No thanks, I'll stick with gas

Cutting the cable on something that can provide 480v and 500 amps. I hope they get what they deserve. A free lesson on conductivity.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8893 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post