SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't want an electric car
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't want an electric car Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
At least with incandescent light bulbs, there is a viable, even superior, alternative (LED) in place. Not so with these electric cars they want to force us into under the false premise of saving the planet. This is my main objection, not to the cars themselves. Let the market decide.

I'm not even certain anymore that this is really true. They sold us on the idea that an LED light bulb that cost $5 or even $10 would last for 10 years instead of a 50 cent incandescent light bulb lasting for 1 year. Seems that I'm barely getting a year or two out of my LED's before they burn out. Not sure if there is any real savings even factoring in the lower power usage of them.

Posts: 34517 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
And I've gotten waaaaaaaaay more years out of an incandescent bulb than just 1.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Seems that I'm barely getting a year or two out of my LED's before they burn out.
The Feit LED bulbs we tried first, when the big push to go LED first started, were a disappointment. We switched to CREE and I can't recall when I last had to replace a bulb. (Knock on wood.)

Even a couple of the original Feit bulbs I installed are still in service.

Anyway: Difference here is when an LED light bulb fails you replace the bulb. When your EV batteries run out of juice, well...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
At least with incandescent light bulbs, there is a viable, even superior, alternative (LED) in place. Not so with these electric cars they want to force us into under the false premise of saving the planet. This is my main objection, not to the cars themselves. Let the market decide.

I'm not even certain anymore that this is really true. They sold us on the idea that an LED light bulb that cost $5 or even $10 would last for 10 years instead of a 50 cent incandescent light bulb lasting for 1 year. Seems that I'm barely getting a year or two out of my LED's before they burn out. Not sure if there is any real savings even factoring in the lower power usage of them.

Been on for 120 years and going strong:
https://www.livermoreca.gov/th...#:~:text=The%20world's%20longest%20burning%20light,on%20L%20Street%20in%201901.&text=10%3A00%20a.m.%20%2D%2011%3A,00%20p.m.%20%2D%205%3A00%20p.m.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4251 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Just listen... We are the government and we know what is best for you..... No way will I purchase or own a EV even if presented one free and clear... Now possibly a hybrid version.... The support structure is not supportable even in the governments wildest dreams. ..... drill sgt.

Posts: 2078 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
{takes out small pad and a pencil}

No {scribbling} electric car {scribbling} for {scribbling} KevH. {tap}

noted

Posts: 109016 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post

Electric Pony

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3633 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

noted

I'm glad someone is keeping track!

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4251 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

noted

That there's funny, I don't care who you are....

Posts: 24209 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Authentic Ponies...Loud & Proud! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
^^^^NICE^^^^

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3633 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Those stripes of yours do look good though! Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Sure wish I could afford an Audi R8...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

noted

If not for this timely thread I may have gotten you one for Christmas. Glad I'm saved of that embarrassment.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Just listen... We are the government and we know what is best for you..... No way will I purchase or own a EV even if presented one free and clear... Now possibly a hybrid version.... The support structure is not supportable even in the governments wildest dreams. ..... drill sgt.

Do you always makes big purchases based on feelings? I’m not buying one but if someone wants to give me one free and clear I will be happy to drive it every day. I might leave it parked in the driveway though Smile I would also keep my ICE car if I want to drive more than 350 miles at one time for the first time in my life.

Posts: 3998 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are the pics of that RS5, and it's glorious 450 HP 4.2L V8 that screams to 8250 RPM?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4634 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nice... Cool

Live Free or Die!

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want an electric car

Hertz doesn't want them either...

Prominent car rental company reneges on promises of an EV fleet citing ‘twice’ the cost

Hertz was aiming to make 25% of its fleet electric by 2024, but is finding 11% is too much. Given there are whole nations pushing for 100% EV by 2035 there seems to be a message here…

The original item came from a car outlet, and reported that Hertz was dialing back on promises the company had made to transition a sizable portion of its rental fleet from gas-powered vehicles to rechargeable ones, citing “higher than expected repair costs and price cuts.” From that article for the backstory:

US-based rental car company Hertz announced back in 2021 it was ordering 100,000 Tesla electric vehicles (EVs) by the end of 2022, though in reality it’s still far from this number.

As reported by CNBC, Hertz currently has only 50,000 EVs in its fleet, with 35,000 of them being Teslas.

Hertz Global CEO Stephen Scherr said during the company’s recent third-quarter earnings call that ‘our in-fleeting of EVs will be slower than our prior expectations’.

The article continued, noting that those third-quarter earnings were “lower than expected” in large part, due to that pledged transition:

‘Collision and damage repairs on an EV can often run about twice that associated with a comparable combustion engine vehicle,’ said Mr Scherr.

‘On a unit basis, we achieved productivity gains across most categories of auto. The exception remained vehicle damage costs, particularly those on our EVs….’

‘The MSRP declines in EVs over the course of 2023, driven primarily by Tesla, have driven the fair market value of our EVs lower as compared to last year, such that as salvage creates a larger loss and therefore greater burden,’ said Mr Scherr.

Twice the cost to repair the vehicle after an accident? Repairs that are so expensive, it makes more fiscal sense to trash the car altogether than try and salvage it post-wreck?

As Jo Nova said, “there seems to be a message here” but I’d say there are a number of messages. First, talk about waste—typical from the movement that claims to be all about recycling and reusing. E.V.s are a hallmark part of the “green” cult forcing policies to save the planet… yet they push for cars that by design, are one-and-done rides when they get into an accident? Cars that had a massively detrimental effect on the earth to mine for the minerals needed to power them? Cars that will have another negative impact, when they take up a noticeable portion of real estate either in a dump or in an “E.V. graveyard” like we see in China? According to recent data, there are right around 20,000 car wrecks each day in the U.S.—what happens if they’re all E.V.s, like the left wishes? These people are totally demented.

Second of all, talk about unaffordable. The U.S. is around $33 trillion in debt, and with our status as the world reserve currency, when we’re in debt, we’re stealing from the rest of the globe too. The E.V. industry is already tremendously subsidized, and the idea just isn’t good enough to make it—can we just cut our losses and be done with it?

Then a reader relayed this story to me, for the impractical:

A friend recently rented a car at the Portland, Maine airport and the rental car company pushed E.V.s hard, with a discount because few people were renting them. Who wants the aggravation of finding a charging station and waiting while charging? Especially if they’re driving in rural areas for leaf-watching.

Huh, imagine that—when you need a reliable car to get from A to B, you’re not going to pick an E.V.

But here’s the main lesson: battery-powered cars are a ridiculous endeavor, any way you consider it.

Obviously, the initiative came about to score some ESG points, but naturally, given the fact this is a corporation and the ultimate goal is profits, reneging on promises and abandoning the ESG brownie points is an easy choice if you’re hemorrhaging dollars. But, greenies would still tell you these fat cat executives “really care” about the environment and the cause. Give me a break.

https://www.americanthinker.co..._twice_the_cost.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24572 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Where are the pics of that RS5, and it's glorious 450 HP 4.2L V8 that screams to 8250 RPM?

Beautiful car but my wife's Tesla Model S will spank it handily and her's is not even the S Plaid. It doesn't scream though.

Posts: 2006 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It's NOT the same...Never can be, NEVER will be!

EV's may provide massive acceleration, but they have NO soul, and would NEVER be described as raw or visceral...Just sayin' Wink

Live Free or Die!