SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't want an electric car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't want an electric car Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Not buying an EV if I can help it. Like others have said, range anxiety, tech issues are monstrous problems, chargers are not currently convenient, obsolescence, and resale.

I bought a car in 21 (375 hp Big Grin ) , and got bombed with surveys about next car being EV. One car here, some trips, not a short commute to a free charging station at work. Nope, nadda, FU.

Lets see what the next 15 years bring.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PR that is a beautiful stripe on that car. That being said, no amount of pretty striping would make a road trip in your car better than in my run of the mill Subaru that cost half (I bet). 16.6 gallon tank, it gets 33-34 on the Highway, I can go way farther than that mustang and be on the road half an hour before you get done charging and you will stop multiple times more than I would every day of the trip.

No matter how much better Teslas chargers are it won’t fix the math.

EV people just can’t make the math work but you guys keep trying to. Around town, great. Road trips? They suck. How many times can you go 0-60 in 3 seconds to make stopping twice or three times as often for a much longer charging/fueling session worth it? To me, it’s zero. And no I don’t want to own multiple cars to perform basic car functions. Nor do I want to rent a vehicle for road trips. I want 1 (one) car that performs all my needs. Long, short, hot, cold. EV ain’t it. Might never be. EV proponents are banking on future massive improvements in tech and hardware that they are absolutely positive are just around the corner. They call that betting on the come.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We just got back from a trip to Crater Lake National Park and the Redwoods in N. California. The route took us through the desert in Utah and Nevada. This stretch was 66 miles, as far as the eye could see, of topography like this. Then a small junction with a very small gas station (small above ground tank) and then 81 more miles of the same. EV is not a real option in the west.

Posts: 12473 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
PR that is a beautiful stripe on that car. That being said, no amount of pretty striping would make a road trip in your car better than in my run of the mill Subaru that cost half (I bet). 16.6 gallon tank, it gets 33-34 on the Highway, I can go way farther than that mustang and be on the road half an hour before you get done charging and you will stop multiple times more than I would every day of the trip.

No matter how much better Teslas chargers are it won’t fix the math.

EV people just can’t make the math work but you guys keep trying to. Around town, great. Road trips? They suck. How many times can you go 0-60 in 3 seconds to make stopping twice or three times as often for a much longer charging/fueling session worth it? To me, it’s zero. And no I don’t want to own multiple cars to perform basic car functions. Nor do I want to rent a vehicle for road trips. I want 1 (one) car that performs all my needs. Long, short, hot, cold. EV ain’t it. Might never be. EV proponents are banking on future massive improvements in tech and hardware that they are absolutely positive are just around the corner. They call that betting on the come.

I don’t disagree with anything you say.

I’m not trying to convince anyone that EV’s are better.

Road trips are not the strong point with EV’s

At this point in my life it works for me. I’m retired and don’t drive much anymore. Heck I got my car on July 4th and I don’t even have 1,500 on the Mach.

Naturally I am attracted to this thread with the subject matter. I couldn’t help but drop a couple of pictures.

Thanks for the compliment on my stripes. I think they give my car a great look.

I have said just about everything everyone else in this thread about never buying a EV, but here I am with a beautiful Mustang…

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3492 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The allure of the V8 is strong...VERY Strong! Cool

Where are the pics of that RS5, and it's glorious 450 HP 4.2L V8 that screams to 8250 RPM? Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8946 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I'm a frequent road-tripper. Before kids, it was just get in the car and go. With kids, I still do frequent trips and if I want to go buy something three hours away then I just go do it. My wife and I would just drive and end up in Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe, and other interesting places on a whim. I never was limited by my car or worrying about having to stop for longer periods to let the car catch its breath.

My Coyote 5.0 V8 F150 has has a 36 gallon fuel tank and I special ordered it with a 3.08 rear end. It's a highway machine. My range is close to 700 miles cruising at about 80 MPH.

We just did a family trip in June from here in the SF East Bay to Disneyland. I left with a full tank of gas, drove I-5, and made it down there stopping only once midway to eat and use the restroom. I didn't gas up. We made it to Disneyland on the original tank of gas, spent the weekend, and then drove back up.

On the way back, I stopped in Bakersfield to gas up (which took about 5 minutes), drove all the way back home, and drove around for another week before I decided to fill it up again.

I've had big tank motorcycles in the past where it's been the same story. Gas limiting my range was never a concern.

I cannot imagine having to plan my life around charging. It sounds terrible.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4203 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good grief. The rationalization of having to stop repeatedly to charge and it taking way more time than fueling up an ICE vehicle and being a positive is hilarious. How often do you pee and eat on a road trip? Goodness sake, just admit they suck on any trip that’s even remotely long. Nobody enjoys stopping every 150-200 miles for fuel. Even a shitty car can double or triple that and still take 5 minutes to fuel up.

Who is rationalizing the frequent stops as a good thing?? I have yet to read anywhere these things are good for trips.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25437 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Who is rationalizing the frequent stops as a good thing?? I have yet to read anywhere these things are good for trips.
It’s been mentioned right here on SIGforum at least a few times and I have no doubt it’s true for those folks.

The worst part of traveling with my family was all the stops. For every 10 hours on the road, we’d only make 6.5 hours of drive time.

Now that the kids are older, it’s my wife that can’t handle tank to tank driving. I just put her on a plane now.

Posts: 11002 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
It’s been mentioned right here on SIGforum at least a few times and I have no doubt it’s true for those folks.

The worst part of traveling with my family was all the stops. For every 10 hours on the road, we’d only make 6.5 hours of drive time.

Now that the kids are older, it’s my wife that can’t handle tank to tank driving. I just put her on a plane now.

I guess I have missed all those other threads because no one mentions it here. While folks are giving some praise to the EVs which I agree they deserve in some aspects. Just not the ones the government wants you to like EVs for.
All the folks usually end it with, I don’t travel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25437 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like suburu's.
What motor and transmission combination should I be looking at to achieve those milage figures ?

Thanks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54685 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read that rationalization here on many threads. I have also been making the anecdotal joke for a couple years now that if you read an automotive magazine and it has an EV road trip they jump through their own asses trying to spin how nice it can be to “slow down and enjoy” the trip. It’s comical.

I think most of the good points have already been made and remade. One of the better ones is that any EV bought today will be woefully antiquated if the “just around the corner” advances actually happen. I also chuckle because I hate the term “first world problems”. Drives me nuts. Yet these cars are exactly that and more, first world, upper middle class, problems. These are cars for “rich” people. I added quotations because I don’t mean rich so much as just people with excess cash to burn. Yes, people drive Chevy Bolts but this isn’t a proletariat revolution. It’s the guys living inside the castles revolution.

I love PR’s car. It’s beautiful. I think the stripes knock it out of the park. I bet it’s a hoot to drive. At the end of the day though I’m a cheapskate. I don’t want a stable of cars to do what I require. I want one car that gets me to work. One car that I take on road trips. One car that this morning I’m driving to Home Depot and tying floorboards on the roof rack to avoid the delivery charge. Lol

Hybrids are interesting. Pure EV is a fantasy, an extravagant fantasy, for most homes. Funded largely by our tax dollars being wasted. Not only do I not want one, I want them to die. I want the companies making them to die. Which as soon as the forced throat fucking that the government is forcing on us ends, these companies will be dead as shit. They aren’t good for us, our infrastructure, our workers. They are a slow poison being force fed to us whether we like it or not. We are the child suffering from the federal government’s Munchausen Syndrome.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm almost x2 years and 18K miles into my Model 3 Long Range / Dual Motor. Not trying to save the world. Put in a charger at the house. Guy charged me $200 including wire and 60A breaker. I charge at home around 45 miles per hour. Get 300+ miles in range.

We use it for %99 of the tooling around town, kid to school, etc. It works great. We have the BMW X3 as a back up gas vehicle.

So far I've rotated the tires and added wiper fluid. That's it.. Zero issues.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know specifics bendable but I have the 2.0 and 2.5 liter Crosstreks and they both will do low 30’s (33-34mph) on the freeway all day. I don’t even try to “save” gas. Hell even the EPA sticker on the bigger motor version says 33 Highway. Doing that is like falling off a log. Plus it’s got a huge gas tank for a small car. 16.6 gallons.

Yet you keep a “back up” ICE car just in case. Awesome.

This is a wealthy guy affectation. It is a I keep a second car around for when the EV doesn’t fit affectation. These things are so great I keep a spare 30k dollar car sitting around for when I road trip. Double awesome. I am glad you like your car.

I just wish guys would acknowledge the little bit of crazy that makes owning two cars that do the job one car used to do, all while sounding like that is a perfectly reasonable solution to a nonexistent problem.

Nobody says they aren’t nice cars. They are rich guys second cars. (except for bolt owners with solar panels, that is a cheap solution lol)

posted Hide Post
Now you wouldn't want to extend that logic to firearms -- one gun to do everything?

We have a full-size SUV and a Tesla. Tesla for local, shorter drives. SUV for road trips.

I'll take the Tesla on longer drives, but my wife can't abide the charging delays.

It is a much easier (and, if you believe the stats, safer) drive using Autopilot or Full Self-Driving (that is letting the car do the work while you supervise it). Of course that technology can be used just as well in an ICE vehicle.

My primary reason for the getting the Tesla was performance and variety in the driving experience. The acceleration is addictive. In heavy traffic, you can't beat one-pedal driving.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t extend it to t shirts either because it’s a matter of scale. That Tesla X 2 motor extended range blah blah blah costs what a small house used to cost. A gun costs grocery money. Be real. Besides which that is a flawed argument. One gun can’t do it all. One car can, and has for generations.

When we are talking about a second car that costs tens of thousands of dollars plus hundreds/thousands more for annual insurance, gas, maintenance just to bridge the EV gaps that is a different scenario wouldn’t you agree?

Like I’ve said a dozen times. If you love EV I think you should get one. I just vehemently push back against the forced introduction of them and my tax dollars funding what is clearly NOT the answer to any real problem. That’s it. Love your EV just please acknowledge the lunacy surrounding the issue. All the lunacy, from the tax money, the extra cost, the child labor, the hypocrisy, the blah blah blah. They can be great cars but they come with baggage. Let’s not pretend the baggage isn’t real.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Now you wouldn't want to extend that logic to firearms -- one gun to do everything?

We have a full-size SUV and a Tesla. Tesla for local, shorter drives. SUV for road trips.

I'll take the Tesla on longer drives, but my wife can't abide the charging delays.

It is a much easier (and, if you believe the stats, safer) drive using Autopilot or Full Self-Driving (that is letting the car do the work while you supervise it). Of course that technology can be used just as well in an ICE vehicle.

My primary reason for the getting the Tesla was performance and variety in the driving experience. The acceleration is addictive. In heavy traffic, you can't beat one-pedal driving.

I tell you. The AutoPilot REALLY shines in bumper to bumper freeway / accident traffic. Where it's stop and go 5-10 mph and x4 lanes wide. You can basically relax and let the car do the work for you.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That tech though is not EV. It’s just expensive tech on an expensive car. That’s like saying Porsche’s are great. Of course they are, for a hundred grand they better be. Lol That stuff can/will migrate to cheaper gas cars if it hasn’t already.

I’ve never done the one pedal driving before. Sounds nice in traffic. I like the nanny stuff, the adaptive cruise, I’m sure I would love the autopilot. 2 cars to do the job that 1 did before I would not love.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
To those saying they have their EV for around town driving and an ICE vehicle for road trips… I get it. Guess I’m no different by having a ‘97 Corolla for my “airport car” and a 2011 Venza for my comfort/road trip driver.

Can’t wait to have the conversation about “EV” air travel……… Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I never wanted an EV, never been in nor ridden in one.
That being said I don't think they are bad cars.

My problem is that the government is involved with the natural evolvement of the technology.
It force feeds us and manipulates us with the barrage of climate lies of propaganda .
Compounding the issue with a massive lack of infrastructure support that honestly creates more issues than it solves.

All at a massive cost to our economy.

I have no problem when technology evolves and makes it the go-to method of propulsion but let it happen naturally.
All must happen so we can support the infrastructure and is fiscally responsible > and with out government intervention. Eek

In the mean time I LOVE my 5.6L 8-cyl truck! Cool

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

When we are talking about a second car that costs tens of thousands of dollars plus hundreds/thousands more for annual insurance, gas, maintenance just to bridge the EV gaps that is a different scenario wouldn’t you agree?

I had a thread recently bitching about the regular increase in insurance rates. I got a call from my insurance broker who told me that part of the reason (not the only reason) for the increase in rates is the obscene cost of repairing EVs.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post