SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12*** Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I also hate to see it go, but I understand the decision. I've had about 8 or so transactions over the years (always buying) and never had an issue.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8526 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I would hate to see the Classifieds go, but I understand the world we live in is full of scum sucking scammers. Do what you have to do, para. We support your decision.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roman- sorry man, this just sucks.

I’m one of those guys that utilizes the classifieds more than the other forums. I just don’t shoot as much as a lot of guys, have the knowledge of Sig’s amongst others. I’d be happy to contribute more, but others just know
More.

Would it be feasible to setup some type of financial contribution to get a Private messages system installed? Or other type of verifications? Nothing beats due diligence, but this is a potential step.
I’ve really appreciated the guys I’ve dealt with on sig forum and hope to keep something intact.

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
Confused

That's too bad. I've never had a bad deal here. The folks on the sigforum are great to deal with.

Hope you reconsider. You do a great job of helping people watch out for being ripped off but at the end of the day, that's on them to do their due diligence. There are scammers everywhere. Hope they all burn in Hell.

I couldn't agree more. I never ripped anyone off nor have I ever gotten beat on SF Classified. I for one will miss them.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newer member here, but I’ve had a few deals in the classifieds already. Doing your due diligence is key before sending funds, but in the instant gratification world we live in, some don’t do what’s needed first. I’ve been buying and selling online for almost 20 years now and have only been ripped off by a mailbox thief or USPS in all that time, haha. Never once had a member on any forum take my money and run, because I make sure I know who I’m dealing with as best as I can.

It’ll be a shame to see the classifieds go, but losing the entire forum because Parabellum or other admins/moderators get burned out on drama like this would be an absolute travesty. Sacrificing the classifieds to save the forums is the right move IMO, much as that sucks to say.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: September 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever used the classifieds here. I'm not here to buy or sell. I won't notice or really care if the section is deep-sixed. I see others sharing their opinions about the decision, so if you're on the fence Para, I'm really rather indifferent about it. There are tons of places in the world to transact such business. The cleanliness and orderliness of the forum might have been improved with a place to mention such things that naturally exchange on these forums, so I'm not sure how this changes the culture of the forum. Maybe it won't.

Some people almost seem incapable of NOT being scammed by easily identified "too good to be true" deals. On the other hand, the generosity of the membership here can come across as "to good to be true" at times also, yet it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roman3667:
But what I can get angry about are members of this community calling me stupid from behind a keyboard. A normal response I would think is gee. Sorry this happened to ya Roman. Thanks for letting us know. But again several members of this community are saying I'm an idiot and didn't do my due diligence. That's the disappointing part. When your own turn on you. Might be a reflection on our society today. Interesting.
Oh, brother. How do you walk with balls that big?

You speak of "community"? You are not a member of this community, because all you do is use our bandwidth to buy and sell shit.

And then there's the rest of it, which, if you hadn't come into this thread acting righteous, I would have let pass without comment.

I contacted you last year because you were in violation of a very long-standing policy: Classifieds is provided as a courtesy to participating members, that is, member who contribute to this forum. I told you that I was revoking your access to Classifieds for six months, and to check with me at the end of that period and I would, at that time, consider letting you back in. I reminded you of the policy you violated, though I'm certain you knew it.

And what was your response? You called me some choice names, including, if I recall correctly, a petty tyrant, and told me that you're too old to have to put up with this shit. You also told me I was singling you out. To the latter, I told you that you have no idea how many people I contact for these reasons, and that your assumption was wrong, To the former, I told you that I don't have to take that from anyone here, and I banned you.

And then, what did you do? Months later, you contacted me and asked to be let back in. No apology, you just wanted back in. I asked you to give me a reason why I should do so. As I recall, you had no answer.

So, about three weeks goes by and you didn't act up any further (which banned members do from time to time when they ask to be reinstated but don't get their way). So, being the petty tyrant, asshole, whatever I am, I let you back in, and I told you at that time that I was doing it despite the fact that I knew that you were going to continue to violate my policy.

Well, guess what? That's exactly what you've done: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...tType=1&u=1671049651

The icing on the cake is this bullshit today. Not only have you ignored the policy about the use of Classifieds, you ignored the very good advice to refrain from putting your email address in your profile, and that's how you got ripped off- by putting your email address where anyone with an internet connection could see it.

Then, you come into this thread and try to shame members for being indignant that your behavior has brought us to this point. Members- true members- who have been here for years and who have had the respect and decency to honor my policies whether or not they agree with them, are facing the loss of what many here consider to be a valuable resource.

So, you just pack away your indignance. You forfeited your right to hurt feelings quite some time ago. You got ripped off because of your behavior. Don't try to put this on anyone else. "Reflection on our society"? What horse shit. If you really want a reflection, you'd better take a look in the fucking mirror.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I've used the classifieds and always have been good deals. I have only bought from forum members and verified the best I could by matching email in the profile.

Watch some scanner videos on YouTube. There are people making a living off scamming others. There are people who scam online FFLS out of thousands of dollars subverting CC rules. The crooks are always looking for suckers

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a bartering/trading post instead? No cash transactions.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I don't recall selling at all, buying maybe once or twice.

I used to scan Classified regularly to stay informed about what various goods were worth.

It was nice while it lasted. A buddy and his wife used to throw a big open house mid-summer picnic week end. Camp out, bonfires, various light adult events like volley ball, creekside stuff for the kids, wienie roast over the fire, etc. It grew over the decades. Friends of friends brought other friends, and kids of kids of past years introduced their own friends.

Finally one year some precious memories were literally stolen from the hostess front room.

Brigadoon became something quite changed. This is not a parallel story, just a note that I get a similar sad/yet angry note to lose another sweet sweet moment of light that was thriving despite living in a harsh realm.

Thank you Para for all your labors.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I joined this forum when I developed an interest in Sig pistols. I am a member of several other gun forums, but this is by far the best. I have only bought one thing here, that I remember. I have never sold anything here. I bought some magazines from a member that had many posts and that I think is very knowledgeable, The transaction went very smoothly and I was 100% pleased. I always scan the classified just to try to keep an eye on prices. I will miss it. But I can certainly understand the problems administering a forum like this. Even without the classified, I think this will still be the best forum I know of. Many thanks to Para for running this forum and putting up with all of the associated nonsense.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I've bought several items over the years without any problems. Perhaps something like being an active member (as defined by you) for 5 years before you can access the forum might solve the problem or it might cause more problems than it's worth. I'm not sure but I would hate to see it go. FWIW, I have never sold anything (tried once on a non 2A item) I've just purchased from members and member businesses.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is beyond terrible news. With all the liberal controlled sites shutting down even the mention of a gun or gun part sale we are going to be truly and royally screwed if we loose SIGforum. One of the very few, possibly the last places to make a safe online private firearm transaction. I have bought a lot here, sold very little but I always had in the back of my mind that this would be the place to find the best homes for some of my most collectable Sigs when the time came. I hope some sort of compromise or solution can be found. Thank you sincerely for providing this invaluable forum for us.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2so4:
… Would it be feasible to setup some type of financial contribution to get a Private messages system installed? Or other type of verifications? Nothing beats due diligence, but this is a potential step. …

That’s one use of a private messaging system but there are probably more downfalls than benefits. It’s an easily abused system and I get why there isn’t one here. I believe an email in your profile is a hard rule for doing business in the classifieds and that counts as the private messaging system. No email in the profile, you don’t do business with them.

There could be other things like blocking the classifieds until a member reaches 1000 posts would weed out a ton of jokers but it would cause a lot of fluff posts. “+1” and “cool beans" and such things. There are solutions but they all come with their own problems.

The only foolproof solution is some sort of escrow system where a payment is made to a trusted third party who also receives, inspects and approves the merchandise and send the money on. That would be an expensive undertaking though.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to see it go but I understand. Para has been dealing with this for way too long. Still the best forum by far IMO.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I sell something here, it seems to go to a "regular" with a lot of posts and overall activity. So you know they are going to be legit. Of course I look at such things to check.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2so4:
Would it be feasible to setup some type of financial contribution to get a Private messages system installed?
The forum software has always had PM capability. I simply won't enable it. It's been many years, but we used to have members here who thought they had a say in the running of this place, and private messaging would have contributed to their devious backchannel, backstabbing bullshit.

Also, it woud be something else which would have to be monitored, because as sure as I'm sitting here, some members would use it to snipe at each other, and I am not babysitting that crap.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Because I don’t go into the classifieds section often, I have never noticed this. Tonight I decided to look at a lot of the WTS ads and the good majority are people with under a thousand posts. I didn’t review what their other posts were, but especially when it is someone with under 100 posts makes it seem as though they joined here only to sell shit and that is not cool as that is not what this site is for. I wish there was a solution but Para would know it if there was one.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Haven’t participated in the classifieds in a while but always had a nice experience when I did. I do like having it here but, what is this, a few times a month maybe someone gets ripped off? BS.

It’s not worth it.

Yes, shut it down and perhaps consider bringing it back at a later date with some of the suggested changes/restrictions.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The use of the classifieds has never been with any question of what was expected, how to communicate or conduct transactions.

I have bought several items over my time here, and sold a few items.

Never had any issues at all. Pretty much how I conduct my affairs in the world of people I can touch.

I would hate to see this go the way of the blue whale, but I fully support Para's position.

He has leaned way over the side to do for those, that will not do for themselves.

To say it angers me, is an understatement.

Not for the loss of the privilege, but the way Para has been treated over the years.

My betters instilled respect of other people as the first order of the day, and that you could not respect yourself, if you did not exhibit proper resect to others, first.

Still no better place on all the innerwebs than here.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post