SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12*** Login/Join 
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
WOW… its a damn shame this happens to folks. Sad to hear classifieds is going away as it has been the catalyst to my meeting and talking with other SF Members. As a “Newbie” (joined 2020) I feel fortunate that it was here but agree… enough is enough… not that you need my agreement Big Grin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NMDave,

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see this, as I have bought and sold in the Classifieds.

However, I understand.

I appreciate all you do for the guests of SIGforum.

I truly mean what my CUT says.

Thank you Para!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Para its a stupid tax unfortunately. I've never understood why people do stuff like this and verify nothing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JG:
How about just banning WTB threads?
It's something to consider.

Let me take some time to calm down a bit. My first impulse is always to break out the chainsaw.

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Now I know why all those "e-mail sent" messages are so useful.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to hide the sub-forum to non-members? I know on the forum I run we only have about 7 sub-forums visible to non-members and around 50+ for members only.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Is it possible to hide the sub-forum to non-members? I know on the forum I run we only have about 7 sub-forums visible to non-members and around 50+ for members only.

Scammers have already infiltrated the membership, so that won't help here.

Our email addresses are already hidden from non-members inside our profiles. Therefore, the only way they're able to access those email addresses to send the scam responses to the WTB ads in the first place is if the scammers are logged in as members. (Unless someone is dumb enough to post their email address in the middle of the text of their WTB ad, which does occasionally happen here, but isn't usually the case.)

It may be that some of the scammers have registered their own accounts over the years and are just hiding in plain sight. Or they may also be logging into existing real member's accounts using info and passwords scraped from hacks of other websites, since some lazy folks will reuse the same usernames and passwords across numerous websites.

Either way, hiding the Classifieds from non-members won't help since the scammers are clearly already logging in as members.

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible to hide the sub-forum to non-members?
Yes. For reasons I won't go into, I don't want to do that.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
This is the only online classifieds I use where I will send a check or MO to a seller before he ships the item. It's the only one where I will send a trade item to someone else before I receive anything first.

I've never been burned, b/c I exercise a modicum of caution. Members who almost exclusively post in the Classifieds, karmas, and an occassional throw-away comment are no-go for me. Members who participate in flame wars are no-go. Members who actively contribute have given me zero trouble. All it takes is clicking on "View Recent Posts by ___".

I will miss the Classifieds, but I understand Para's decision. Frown

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right, I was thinking of something similar. Block the Classifieds forum from view (even the link to it) unless you are logged in as a member. I would think that is a feature of the forum software. Might be tougher to set it up for "members only" who have a "minimum of 50 posts."

I'd also suggest setting up the forum as "no index" so search engines would not be able to index the content, but having it set as members only should cover that.

UPDATE - I see that you don't want to lock the classifieds section down.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I understand why. It is unfortunate as I have sold and bought a good number of things her and always felt mostly safe dealing with the members of this forum.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Bummer but classifieds isn't worth you being tied up in knots over it.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
It is a sad day. I have sold a few things but more importantly found some excellent people and great deals.

If only everyone in this world had the same moral values as the members here.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
Confused

That's too bad. I've never had a bad deal here. The folks on the sigforum are great to deal with
Yep, been here a long time and have bought and sold a number of things through the Classifieds. Always had great experiences and even got to meet a couple members in person. Yet another example of the minority screwing things up for everyone. Will be sad to see it go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah get rid of the non-members posting in WTB. Make new members go thru a waiting period/ post count/probation period. Heck make it 6 months, that just a drop in the bucket for us ol timers.

Posts: 227 | Location: NC | Registered: February 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
UPDATE - I see that you don't want to lock the classifieds section down.
It may appear to be twisted logic, but making Classifieds viewable only when logged in means that some people who simply wish to peruse the Classifieds (out of curiosity, or for pricing information, but not for any nefarious purposes) may feel compelled to register. These new registrants will likely not contribute to the forum, except perhaps to post their own ads from time to time, and we all know how I feel about that.

Still, this action is worth considering, but even this would not stop the thieves entirely.

posted Hide Post
Look at everyone who has posted in this thread, most have been here over 10 years!

Posts: 227 | Location: NC | Registered: February 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain I understand the point you're making.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
While I haven't used the classifieds in a long time I do look at them and would hate to see them leave but I also wouldn't want to have to deal with the all the work that they create and see members getting ripped off.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, i hope you will keep it open. I rarely buy anything, but this section has some cool shit that no other forums offer. It is just eye candy for me.

Posts: 66 | Registered: February 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post