SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12*** Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I'm not a prolific poster, but have been here for a number of years. Mostly posting in The Lounge, Sig Pistols, and What's your deal.

But I've used the Classifieds several times, mainly selling firearms with good luck and never had a problem. I've tried classifieds in other forums, I've not been burned, but was a headache most cases.

Not sure the solution to the problem. We all get cheated from time to time whether it's in the classifieds or the local gunshop. Lessons of life.One thing stands out here,is how members look out for each other as far as sales are concerned.

This is the only place I would sell anything online, and my purchases have been good.

I'll respect whatever decision Para makes.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've bought, and sold a few items in the classified here over the years. Para owns this board, and pays the bills here, he does not take advertising, nor does he charge a fee to users here. It is his right, and prerogative to delete sections, and add sections. I will still enjoy coming here no matter what he decides to do with the classified section.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Having acquired most all of my firearm inventory several years ago I don't really use the Classified anymore except just to browse pricing.
Initially when I first got heavy into guns and was poorer I scoured every website and forum know to man.
Back then the corruption was much much less.
Even so I would be careful and research anyone I would send money to from a forum.
Never and issue and I have even sent as much as $3000 for a scope!
What makes forum sales beneficial today is the lack of sales tax.
NOW every website will charge you tax.
Automatically making the purchase 8% more expensive.
But what gets you is when you get greedy for that great deal.
It clouds your rational thinking.
We have a large cohesive group here that are quite active a lot, I wouldn't hesitate to send money or sell an item to those guys, I would even send an item (if selling) to some/many without getting paid first as I feel I know a great many here.
However, so many posers it is on average too risky.
I don't want the Classified to go but understand and appreciate Para wanting to protect us.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akchef:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Akchef:
This is a Sig forum

I'm curious, did you read the top two bold threads in the classifieds?

The first post in each. Not the entire thread. What did I miss?

This isn’t a marketplace it’s a discussion board the classifieds are just there as an added feature for active and participating members not for people to come and solely buy and sell stuff.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, this makes no sense. Members and scammers will just go to other sites. Do you not believe in individual responsibility?

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Having acquired most all of my firearm inventory several years ago I [have never used] the Classified.
This would be my story with regard to the Classified Section...

But then again, that boating accident out in the Gulf.........

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I belong to three gun oriented forums. One is a trapshooting forum. I have a lot of old shotgun reloading equipment I would like to sell. That forum would be the place to find someone interested. That forum only allows access to their classifieds after, I think, 300 posts. I'm not as active in trapshooting as I used to be and have little to contribute to the forum in conversation. So, that said, I still have the stuff.

Sigforum is the place I frequent on a daily basis. Not the classifieds though. I like having the opportunity to do so if I choose. So I hope the sub remains.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Some of the other sites I frequent require a minimum post count or even an annual sponsorship in order to post in the classifieds. That weeds out some of the bad guys. I would suggest starting out with a required minimum of 50 posts and six months since registering here before one can post in the classifieds. I've only ever had excellent experiences buying and selling here, done several transactions in person too.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think it's fair to say the we are all firearms owners, or at least 99.9%.

There are certain risks associated with this activity that none of us want to be limited because of others irresponsible behavior, behavior that is intentional and irresponsible or mere negligence.
That idea is a large part of why the 2nd Amendment shouldn't be further restricted when somebody does something bad with a firearm.

While I'm not saying the Classifieds here rise to the level of importance of the 2nd Amendment, a similar requirement of personal responsibility is needed. We shouldn't have to dumb down either because some people didn't get the memo.

The powers that be here didn't ask for my opinion and have the freedom to not consider it too. I promise, I won't be offended. If I am, that's not their responsibility either.

There is a requirement here to have a certain number of posts or longevity, maybe both to just get a "cut". I suspect very few if any of the scammers have reached that mark. Something like that is what I would do if I was setting the bar here.

Every day we read stories of people in the public being scammed through phone calls or the internet. They send money orders to Nigerian Princes because they were promised this one time it isn't a scam.

I admire the effort Para and the membership make to monitor and prevent this and every reasonable effort has been made to prevent it happening here, short of closing down that section.
The truth is, you can't foresee every foolish thing someone may do and protect them from themselves. This isn't a failing of anyone here in management. They do a great job trying to protect freedom of expression and overseeing the flock. Not just in the classifieds.

Scammers, con artists, of all sorts have always existed and always will. You can't protect 100% of people from their own shortcomings.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
I will miss the classifieds Para has been gracious enough to allow us to use the classifieds to inform members about up coming sales.

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
Members and scammers will just go to other sites. Do you not believe in individual responsibility?

Good grief!
Did you not read his explanation for why he's considering this action?
It's because he's tired of dealing with the drama; it has nothing to do with trying to change the world.

And asking if he believes in individual responsibility is one of the most clueless, ignorant things I've seen posted here. How could you have been a member here as long as you have and possibly question that?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Para does a fantastic work keeping this digital house clean.

I would miss any part of the place that he may choose to shut down but I will always appreciate him leaving the rest of the forum open to us.

Thank you Para.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
Members and scammers will just go to other sites. Do you not believe in individual responsibility?

Good grief!
Did you not read his explanation for why he's considering this action?
It's because he's tired of dealing with the drama; it has nothing to do with trying to change the world.

And asking if he believes in individual responsibility is one of the most clueless, ignorant things I've seen posted here. How could you have been a member here as long as you have and possibly question that?

Almost all of his posts in recent years are related to the classifieds in some way so there's your Smile answer.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Almost all of his posts in recent years are related to the classifieds in some way so there's your answer.

And I think you bring up a good point. As much as Para takes it upon himself to keep the Classifieds section clean, it is also on ‘us’ the members who use it to do the same.

He has said for years, classifieds is a benefit to active and participating members. Classifieds is not here for you to ‘sell your shit’.

If we are choosing to buy that ‘great deal’ from someone who only frequents that section, are we really buying from another genuine member? (Member being an active and participating user of the forum).

No, we might as well be buying from Craigslist or some other auction site. If we buy from someone who posts their cel-phone number in their ad, are we buying from an active and participating member who follows the rules? No. And again, we might as well be buying from Craigslist or some other auction site.

If we jump at that WTB ad because some guy you’ve never seen post wants to buy exactly what you are seeking to sell, then shame on us for letting ourselves get screwed.

I don’t know that I’ve ever bought anything here from a member who’s user name I was not already very familiar with.

At the end of the day, Para can add all the extra controls, staff members, and hoops to jump he wants, but if we as ‘active members’ don’t follow the general guiding principles of classifieds, then doom on us and I don’t blame him for saying ‘enough of this bullshit’.

And this is written as someone who enjoys the privilege of a classifieds section, but values what the Forum has to offer significantly more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Classifieds has grown over the years, lots more members, lots more restrictions elsewhere on selling firearms and fire arm items online or locally. It would be a shame to lose one more.

Maybe the short term solution would be to add a couple of moderators to that section, east coast and west coast, which would provide a wide time slot of coverage.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a newbie more than a decade ago, the forum allowed me to find individuals who sold me mags in my locked down state. It also introduced me to dealers like Donna/Mississippi Gal and Ryan at Central Auto Parts. I hope there’s resources like that out there for the new shooters

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I've used the classifieds quite a bit over the years, receiving some good deals and passing on good deals to others. With that said, if I was the owner of the forum, devoting my own time and resources to the upkeep, and had to address scammers, I'd probably have shut down classifieds long ago. I think most people appreciate the classifieds but that's not why they come here.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
My gripe is with the guy who posted his email in his want to buy add after it's been reiterated I don't know how many times not to do that. I hate to see anyone get taken, but in this case it was 100% preventable.

I also hate the shotgun approach of punishing many for the actions of a few, but realize it's not my decision to make.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
I also hate the shotgun approach of punishing many for the actions of a few
Do you think that's my reason?
quote:
...but realize it's not my decision to make.
No, but you got your little shot in anyway, didn't you? Do you think this kind of crap helps in any way?
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
Do you not believe in individual responsibility?
Never heard of it. Any more stupid questions?

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've never personally used the classifieds, but I'd rather see them mended, not ended.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post