SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12*** Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
My personal observation of the classifieds is that its become a huge WTB section. Very little actually being offered, and that which is, isn't much to look at.

I'm not trying to shit on anyone's belongings, but its become increasingly disconnected from the heart of SIGforum, SIG pistols, parts, other collectibles. When you can see an Ad that would be common place - years ago and it sticks out to you simply for that reason, then I think the omission of the subforum becomes more acceptable. This probably has a bit to do with the current times, and with the fact that P-series sigs are becoming a bit more collectible with current production. Trade-ins arent popping up for $299 anymore, etc.

What I'm getting at is that if the classifieds disappeared tomorrow, I don't think a single dedicated member would find SIGforum any less alluring.

I've used it probably more than most but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to visit next time if it were gone.

It's a shame but perhaps the risk outweighs the reward in current times. Too much demand and not enough supply contributes to the likelyhood of these sorts of things happening.

Banning the sale of firearms would likely limit the wreckless behaviour of buyers a bit, but whats the point in that? It seems all or nothing is the decision and I gotta say. With whats going on I'd let it go and kill two birds with one stone, get rid of the thieves, and those that simply use the forum to make a dollar.

Sad but necessary I suppose.

IF the decision is to keep it, I can only think of this.
1. NO WTB ads - Anyone knowledgeable enough to make a decision on firearms or similar items SHOULD be knowledgeable enough to know a plethora of other sites where they can find it for sale. I realize this takes away that sense of security buying from an established SIGFORUM member, but that sense is clearly gone with the thieves making their entrance.
2. Some sort of feedback system. On other forum I wont even respond to ads from a member with 0 feedback. Here, I tend to take the members length of time on the forum as equivalent. This doesn't prevent folks from having their account info stolen and someone posting in their name here. But that's only prevented by removing the section completely so I guess that's a risk that will always be present with such a subforum.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Are some of you guys thinking before you post? You say you sympathize & appreciate all the work Para puts into keeping SF running and keeping scammers out, and yet you suggest additions to make the Classifieds section safer, such as:
  • Enlisting an escrow service
  • Activating the personal messaging system
  • Employing periodic electronic document verisigning of SF rules in order to participate in the Classifieds
Are you lost on the fact that those are things that would add more work to SF ownership & moderation? That's not what I'd consider encouragement to keep the Classifieds open.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Are some of you guys thinking before you post? You say you sympathize & appreciate all the work Para puts into keeping SF running and keeping scammers out, and yet you suggest additions to make the Classifieds section safer, such as:
  • Employing periodic electronic document verisigning of SF rules in order to participate in the Classifieds
Are you lost on the fact that those are things that would add more work to SF ownership & moderation? That's not what I'd consider encouragement to keep the Classifieds open.

I think the ideas being put forth more show a fondness for the forum and desire to keep the classfieds than to cause more work for Para. I'd wager hes not taking it that way either.

There has also been offers to assist in whatever way necessary.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
My personal observation of the classifieds is that its become a huge WTB section. Very little actually being offered, and that which is, isn't much to look at.

I'm not trying to shit on anyone's belongings, but its become increasingly disconnected from the heart of SIGforum, SIG pistols, parts, other collectibles. When you can see an Ad that would be common place - years ago and it sticks out to you simply for that reason, then I think the omission of the subforum becomes more acceptable. This probably has a bit to do with the current times, and with the fact that P-series sigs are becoming a bit more collectible with current production. Trade-ins arent popping up for $299 anymore, etc.

What I'm getting at is that if the classifieds disappeared tomorrow, I don't think a single dedicated member would find SIGforum any less alluring.

I've used it probably more than most but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to visit next time if it were gone.

It's a shame but perhaps the risk outweighs the reward in current times. Too much demand and not enough supply contributes to the likelyhood of these sorts of things happening.

Banning the sale of firearms would likely limit the wreckless behaviour of buyers a bit, but whats the point in that? It seems all or nothing is the decision and I gotta say. With whats going on I'd let it go and kill two birds with one stone, get rid of the thieves, and those that simply use the forum to make a dollar.

Sad but necessary I suppose.

IF the decision is to keep it, I can only think of this.
1. NO WTB ads - Anyone knowledgeable enough to make a decision on firearms or similar items SHOULD be knowledgeable enough to know a plethora of other sites where they can find it for sale. I realize this takes away that sense of security buying from an established SIGFORUM member, but that sense is clearly gone with the thieves making their entrance.
2. Some sort of feedback system. On other forum I wont even respond to ads from a member with 0 feedback. Here, I tend to take the members length of time on the forum as equivalent. This doesn't prevent folks from having their account info stolen and someone posting in their name here. But that's only prevented by removing the section completely so I guess that's a risk that will always be present with such a subforum.

Banning the sale of firearms? This is a Sig forum, not craigslist. The classifieds of a firearms forum is (or should be) for the buying/selling/trading of firearms and directly related accessories specific to the type of forum it is.

Banning WTB posts? Because you think there are other sites where these people can find what they are looking for? Again, this is the Sig forum. Where else would a guy go if he's looking for say, a P226 NSW? Or a M11B? Sig made a lot of low production number firearms and if you happen to be on the hunt for one, where else exactly, would you go if you wanted to find one?

Posts: 6 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akchef:

Banning the sale of firearms? This is a Sig forum, not craigslist. The classifieds of a firearms forum is (or should be) for the buying/selling/trading of firearms and directly related accessories specific to the type of forum it is.

Banning WTB posts? Because you think there are other sites where these people can find what they are looking for? Again, this is the Sig forum. Where else would a guy go if he's looking for say, a P226 NSW? Or a M11B? Sig made a lot of low production number firearms and if you happen to be on the hunt for one, where else exactly, would you go if you wanted to find one?

To your first point, I stated, what's the point of not selling firearms (on Sigforum)

To your second point, yes, there are plenty of places to find Sigs beside sigforum. Including an entire auction site with many more eyes and vendors.

Furthermore, having your only post until now be in said classifieds looking for an M11, I can see your opinion being short sighted.

Best of luck.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

To your first point, I stated, what's the point of not selling firearms (on Sigforum)

To your second point, yes, there are plenty of places to find Sigs beside sigforum. Including an entire auction site with many more eyes and vendors.

Furthermore, having your only post until now be in said classifieds looking for an M11, I can see your opinion being short sighted.

Best of luck.

And when is the last time you have seen a M11B on that internet auction site? With what, only 50 in the wild, you think they just pop up every week? If you want the rare stuff, you have to go where that stuff is. It's like hunting, you don't hunt polar bears in Texas.

And yes, I am looking for one, and I posted a WTB in the classifieds. Short sided, maybe. But I thank you for your luck wishes.

Posts: 6 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coldbore:
Maybe make the classifieds a pay for service. You want access it will cost you a couple of bucks. I just spent some good coin on a pistol last week. A couple of bucks isn’t much for what this forum provides as many have stated.

I come from the school that at the end of the line, the only thing you really have is your reputation.
I have always embraced that.

Just a thought.

I have no idea about how to do the IT portion but several forums (other than Gun forums) have a premier/premium member level, in which a minimum amount of posts are required, and an annual fee is paid .
This allows you to be a seller. not that it would 100% guarantee, some slimy seller would rip off another member, but it would reduce the hit and run sellers. They also have a feedback rating 1-5 stars or a +/-, thumbs up/thumbs down allowing buyers to let others know if they had a positive/negative experience.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreeing here.

The escrow service is the only one that doesn’t cause more issues than it solves but the cost of it would pretty much negate the benefit of buying and selling here. What’s the point of paying more than a new item would cost at a brick and mortar shop?

The private messaging system would have to be not private and scrutinized and there’s already enough work for the staff doing that in the public messaging.

There are those that don’t bother reading the sticky notes that already exist.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

“Love” this post.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I'll add that I don't buy or sell a lot but the few transactions here were without issue. It would be disappointing to see it go, but understand the reason.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a Sig forum

I'm curious, did you read the top two bold threads in the classifieds?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
This is a Sig forum

The first post in each. Not the entire thread. What did I miss?

posted Hide Post
I have bought and sold a few things here in the past, firearms and ammunition and all transactions have gone smoothly.

Well, there was that one time I bought some batteries several years ago…I did get my money back after law enforcement got involved.

I still look and would not hesitate to buy or sell here but always use caution.

Not that he needs it but I will support Para in whatever decision Para makes about the Classifieds.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't disagree with this. Even a year or two ago, there were all kinds of neat guns popping up. Nothing I could afford or was looking to buy, but it was interesting nonetheless to window shop and see what was available. Then the gun panic happened and it's been tumbleweeds. Maybe because people are hanging onto what they have, and maybe because Para had a stop to the scalping that has been going on everywhere else even to now. Who knows? But it is not the same classifieds it used to be. It's got the modern gun show vibe, with people selling belt buckles and other knick-knacks alongside surplus parts and magazines. That's fine, it's just not the same. Now with that said....

quote:

The few times I've used the classifieds lately, I was looking for stock Beretta 92 grips and a used Safariland holster. I know I can find those things online, but while offering to pay a fair price, the grips were gifted to me (thank you again, you know who you are) and the holster, I think I paid $30 for a holster that was sitting in a closet, no longer being used.

I know you're talking more about WTB gun ads, and those are the people getting targeted for a fucking, but honestly, I think that same good treatment between members extends to gun sales as well, and shutting it down means some forum members aren't going to be able to give or get those good deals they would otherwise.

I think this was more an inevitability than anything else. It's unfortunate, but it's been coming. I have little doubt these scammers are a network, or at least trade notes, and somewhere online is something to the effect that Sigforum is a fertile fishing spot. This has been happening with increased frequency lately, and I think it will probably only pick up. Forum members who choose to not take their due diligence are going to get screwed.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope there’s a workaround for shutting the classifieds down; I’ve found some things I’ve been looking for at great prices and sold some things at great prices that I know other members were really happy with. I’ve also engaged in some horse trading that would be nearly impossible to accomplish anywhere else.

Another forum I occasionally visit has a post limit that has to be hit before you can buy/sell there. This seems like a good way to weed out liars and scammers when every post they make is something inane like “I like it” or “yes!”

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Another forum I occasionally visit has a post limit that has to be hit before you can buy/sell there. This seems like a good way to weed out liars and scammers when every post they make is something inane like “I like it” or “yes!”

While some in this thread have presented this as a potential problem with spam, a number of times, I have seen someone shit-canned for exactly this. If not that, called out for it. If not moderated as heavily, it could be an indicator of such a thing. However, if you're not willing to scan a member's post history to see if they give you the scammer vibes, you're not going to be looking for spam, either.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
This is a Sig forum

The first post in each. Not the entire thread. What did I miss?

You missed the 'content' of those threads...Not everything one should glean in those two threads is in the first post!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The classifieds are helpful to find things that are not necessarily available or if one lives in a small town without a larger sporting goods store are the only option other than ordering on-line. In a case of a P7 PSP, or Sig 225, or P6, for instance, I have found holsters here which have not been produced for decades.

Closing the classifieds is understandable and will not be the end of the site.

When posting to sell, trade, or buy here, I generally say, post on my ad and everyone does before the deal is made. So far, no one has tried the shenanigans with me. I guess the concept of honor is more important than money is a concept foreign to so many, but it is a principle that says what we believe here.

If one is known on the net, an email may be visible even without hacking an account here. If in doubt, search an email on the net. If it comes up with scam reports, with sellers sending identical emails, it is telling.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are some of you guys thinking before you post?

What a novel notion—thinking before posting. Roll Eyes

From my standpoint, I hope a reasonable way can be found to keep it going.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
I have been ripped off by "unsavory" carbon based life forms. It happened way before the internet was up and running (full page magazine ad). Happened again, (local ad) about a two years ago. The "techniques" used by those seeking to steal are limitless and can be difficult to discern. Even FTF can be a pitfall, a retail outlet can even be scam front. Do as much as you can to 'protect' yourself, but be aware there are those who view you as a 'target' and easy pickings! Remember the song "Smiling Faces"?

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post