SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12*** Login/Join 
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Come on people, just wait for paras decision then accept it graciously.
It’s all been said here.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomgun:
Come on people, just wait for paras decision then accept it graciously.
It’s all been said here.

Well said! :thumbsup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad but understandable.

Posts: 31 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: June 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've sold some stuff in the classifieds. I don't remember if I bought anything. But, in any case, I have derived some benefit from it.

On the other hand, I'm not the one having to do any work in addition to doing babysitting duties to keep people from getting scammed despite themselves. So I'm not going to lobby to keep Classifieds open as I'm not the one who's going to have to do any work.

I can appreciate Para's level headedness in that he's already mentioned he's reconsidering his options.

I do like the idea of "hiring" additional mods for the classifieds but that may bring on another set of work for Para.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19633 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
parabellum, I would like to thank you for the SigForum, I have learned a bunch from your board and have enjoyed scanning and reading it for years now. It is wonderful that you have it and keep it running for so many of us. The cost and time you have put into it make it a labor of love project for you. I will continue to study it often and any decision you make on how it is run is yours and yours alone to make. I understand that and respect your decision completely. Thank you again for your forum and I wish you all the best and appreciate everything that you have done here,
Greg

JAMES 3:1
USPSA life member

Posts: 270 | Location: Indian River Shores, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks para for doing all you do,, i have felt comfortable using this forum over the years probably because of you and the other members,, it sucks but its so prevalent these days and credit card fraud/identity theft is out of control - i am good with whatever the decision is,, as someone in a prior post stated "your house, your rules"

Posts: 231 | Location: dallas tx | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Para, thanks for your service and for the forum you provide. I understand whatever final decision you make.

For me, I've only used the Classifieds for a few relatively small purchases over the years (no sales) but I do enjoy looking at what's available for sale from time to time and dreaming "If I only had the spare cash."

I (almost?) never look at WTB ads and have never placed such an ad.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
A thought: classifieds remain only for SigForum's bonafide vendors to post ads in. CCR, Greg Cote, Countryboy, etc., and folks and vendors of this caliber get to run their ads, but it's no longer an open classified board to all. Further admissions - if there be any at all - would be only on the basis of being enough of a member of SigForum, and having enough of a verifiable existence, to satisfy Para or our admins that they're safe to let in. Or, hell, maybe it should just be that if as of the date the gates closed, you weren't on the "good guy" list, well, that's too bad.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
A thought: classifieds remain only for SigForum's bonafide vendors to post ads in. CCR, Greg Cote, Countryboy, etc., and folks and vendors of this caliber get to run their ads, but it's no longer an open classified board to all. Further admissions - if there be any at all - would be only on the basis of being enough of a member of SigForum, and having enough of a verifiable existence, to satisfy Para
Good idea, but one of the stated reasons for shutting down the classifieds is the workload. Verifying individual users would add to that load.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't deny that I'm not a very active poster. But I am a daily reader because of the quality of the members and the information shared here. I have used the classifieds and I know if what I'm proposing is used I would be excluded.

I don't know how much work this would be. But, if it is possible could the access to the classifieds sub forum be restricted to members with a minimum post count 25 (or more) within the last 6 months and a x number of months probation of following the rules without taunting a hammer? Good behavior. Keeping in the spirit of allowing active contributing members access. In addition to the existing rules for posting an add.

Heck, limit access to members that have been here long enough to earn a cut. The contributing members. I would be excluded, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I would have to search for left handed goods elsewhere. That's ok.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I've bought a few things from the classified. I felt comfortable due to the forum reputation and the sellers were active members. That said, if 90% of the problems are from 10% of the forum I understand you shutting it down - especially when it's due to illegal activity. I prefer your wit in threads and topics rather than tracking the scamming dirt-bags and sleaze-balls of society. Sigforum with out classifieds is better than no sigforum. Thanks Para, for all you do and give to this forum.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recall Para ever complained about the workload - most other guys running a Forum like this probably would have -as it is clearly a very heavy load and on an ongoing basis.
As so many (on this thread) have already shared with us how great this Forum and the Classified section have been, not just in facilitating buying/selling but in connecting with good members, friendships were created etc etc. Why deprive the great majority of the membership because of the few (albeit increasing)cases of scams? As Para pointed out, most of the scams were avoidable and are actually self-inflicted by the over-eager dumbos (sorry) not doing their homework and who wouldn't listen to Para's guidance and warnings??
it is of course, Para's choice as to where to go from here.

Posts: 178 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Regardless of how this goes, I want to thank the moderator(s) for providing the classified forum to offer us a place to buy/sell things.

I also want to thank the forum members that I've conducted business with over the years; never have I had a bad deal & if there was a misunderstanding it was rectified with solid communication between parties.

This site is where I bought my grail P225 factory two-tone from a State Trooper in TX back in the day, I'll be forever grateful for that opportunity... I still shoot it occasionally Wink

This is one of the first forums that I joined and if the classifieds should go away it won't stop me from my daily perusing of the different sub-forums.

I do belong to one paid subscription forum where I'm allowed to post for sale & WTB advertisements, though I think that might be an additional burden for the moderator(s) if it were implemented here. I'd be willing to support it if it came to that just to keep the site going if it ever comes to that!

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
Do you not believe in individual responsibility?
Never heard of it. Any more stupid questions?

And there you have it, folks. Carl Sagan was wrong. Big Grin

“There are no stupid questions.” Carl Sagan

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I realize monitoring these forums can be frustrating and a headache but ending a service so many members use daily without any bad experience isn't the answer.

some people are just careless enough to get scammed, its going to happen. the rules and roadmap to NOT getting scammed have been clearly laid out for everyone but not everyone will follow.

I hope the classifieds stay in place

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
I realize monitoring these forums can be frustrating and a headache but ending a service so many members use daily without any bad experience isn't the answer.

some people are just careless enough to get scammed, its going to happen. the rules and roadmap to NOT getting scammed have been clearly laid out for everyone but not everyone will follow.

I hope the classifieds stay in place

Yeah, that, and stuff.

I really never use the classifieds, but they have been an invaluable resource. I will go along with whatever the mods decide, but with a note of sadness should the classifieds go away.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
parabellum, I would like to thank you for the SigForum

Ditto, and we all know how much of a pain in the ass some of us can be. Talking about myself. Thanks again in case I haven't said it anytime soon.

I like reading the sale part of the site although it's not part of my world other than just simple curiosity on what folks have. See some real interesting things pop up occasionally.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks-

It's not the end of the world. There are other classifieds. It'll be ok, I promise.

Be a part of this site for the great resource it is, and for the discussion. I have participated in the classifieds on a regular basis some time ago and I was (and am) thankful for it being here. That said, there are other, frankly, better options. Have a coke and a smile and move on!

Posts: 439 | Registered: February 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope the classified survive - but I completely understand Para's frustration.

Either way - Sigforum will still be my go-to resource for all things firearms and news related !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
If Para actually explicitly asked for opinions on the running of this forum, I'd consider offering one. Without such a solicitation, I don't even waste time pondering such a thing.

Year V

Posts: 2626 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post