SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For all forum members: An email exchange I would like you to read
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all forum members: An email exchange I would like you to read Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Trojan Horse. Good thing you are ever vigilant.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
What a crybaby.

"You're anti gov't." "You made me FEEL like a second class citizen"

"I'm telling!"

I hear that's how you get a job in the Fed gov't these days. Join an oppressed victim group.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6985 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the point would be, but seemed like a young hacker trying to pull a fast one. Maybe make DHS look bad? *Shrug*

The whole thing from "him" struck me as dimwitted and/or incompetent. Wouldn't shock me if that was our tax dollars at work though.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

While I do not work for a government agency, I have seen computers that are owned and operated by the Federal Courts.

They have a great big notification before you login that all traffic is monitored and for official use only. I expect DHS has this as well.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Good points …

New guess:
H1b visa holder; perhaps less
DHS contractor

(Too much out of character for the real deal)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Giving the registrant the benefit of the doubt and assuming that his registration attempt isn't part of a government infiltraltration attempt... it only takes a few hours/ days of reading forum posts to understand the general tone, the community culture. Who the owner/ mods are, what the rules and expectations are, what's allowed and what's forbidden. Maybe not in each and every case, but generally speaking.

If I was a Fed or LEO (or not), I'd want to know what kind of online site I was thinking about joining before actually applying for membership.

I could see maybe joining in an attempt to get some help with a specific problem or question, or maybe even for an agenda of some sort, but it seems to me he didn't do any basic due diligence in understanding the forum before attempting to register.

If he had, he would've noticed Para's and moderator presence and how things are run, and maybe even had a basic idea of some of the difficulties the forum has seen, both with new and some existing members, and why things are done a certain way.

I lurked on this forum for a year before joining, had read dozens or hundreds of threads, and knew at least some of the basic rules and expectations, and who the owners and moderators were.

There may be individual circumstances in which a specific LEO's (LEOs') or department/ agency actions are criticized or questioned, but you don't have to be Columbo to see that this forum, and the owners, generally enthusiastically supports LEAs/ LEOs.

Edited: to add
Hell, one of the forum moderators is a LEO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Everybody knows you lurk before you leap …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You and the majority of this forum supports the LE community, and the basic premise of the need for law and the proper use of the rule of law in these United States.

That does not require support of/or permit the misuse, and or abuse of law at the hands of any person, be they in LE or any person who is a citizen not in the employ of any LE agency, both public, or in federal government capacity.

That said, the passive aggressive nature of the person emailing you is a big "put off", and I appreciate such effort by you to deny the SIGforum Stamp on the back of the hand, and turning them away at the door.

Reminds me of the "FBI guy" several years back, and happy he took is butthurt somewhere else.

I can appreciate any who in their capacity of service in all areas of LE, from Sheriff, to local PD, and all federal government capacities, and military, to share their POV with us. Understanding the ins and outs, can help up better support their efforts in our common desire for a better society.

We the People... did not abdicate our defense, protections of self, society, property or borders to any agency(ies), rather, we "partner" with them and they with us, as first and foremost, they are of and from us, and not separate.

Lest any of us, in or out of LE, forget to (all of) our detriment.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I'm going to hazard a guess that this forum and Para support Law Enforcement and LEOs?

I've dealt with people like that. You cannot argue with someone who can not or does not have the ability to reason. They'd argue with a fence post.

Para - thanks for your good work. Sorry that you have to deal with so much crap.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
To Mr. "DHS Employee":

As a long time member of this forum, it goes without saying that the owner of this site has been a fierce and vocal supporter of law enforcement in the decades of this forum's existence. In fact, with very few exceptions, everyone here is as well. While the idiots in America support the Michael Browns and Black Lives Matter, this forum as a whole supports police, the military, law and order. Oh yeah, Fuck BLM.

This site is a private forum, not a public library where entrance is almost guaranteed. Your words- " I thought your site was inclusive for Sig owners and did not realize certain people were denied access". We members appreciate the efforts that Para goes through to separate the wheat from the chaff; after all, he has decades of experience and expertise in recognizing the trolls, scammers, and con artists who hang out at other forums. And BTW, owning a Sig is not a prerequisite in gaining membership; a number of long time members do not own any Sigs whatsoever.

You seem to be putting words into Para's mouth, so to speak. He plainly, patiently, explained the ONE reason why you were denied, and yet you invent/imagine a whole truckload of accusations.

His instincts are still right on. Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Sigforum supports all LEOs and recognizes the work they do.

Been made crystal clear.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2243 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What is SIGforum's official position on law enforcement and what do you find to be my personal position on law enforcement?

Both you and the vast majority of SIGforum's membership are very supportive of law enforcement--all the way from the smallest little podunk town's one cop up to, and including, federal LE. (With the possible exception of BATFE and, in my particular case, the DEA, as well.)

Border Patrol, in particular, gets nothing but mad props from the membership.

This officer, if, indeed, an officer he or she is, was way off base, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
What a wanker

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1381 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was still a reservist, I couldn’t log into Sigforum from any standard workstation as the network blocked any and all gun stuff/sites. Even when I needed to look at a gun site for work(I was a gunners mate) it was like pulling teeth to get past the IT guys wall.

And that was a .mil (DHS) network.

This guy is exceptionally dense.

Thanks Para for doing what you do.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Good grief. He shoulda stopped while he was already behind Roll Eyes

Posts: 3447 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who let Barney Fife become a fed?

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I agree with this. We are NOT allowed to use government computer and email address for personal use. This can get you fired.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
As an ExFed, I can say confidently that registering for a forum as a “private citizen” with a benign interest in SIG firearms, using a government computer and your government email address is strictly prohibited and constitutes “misuse of government property.” All of which leads me to conclude that the person who emailed you was operating in an official capacity, not as an individual on “personal time.”

It’s been made crystal clear that this forum supports law enforcement at any level.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
As an ExFed, I can say confidently that registering for a forum as a “private citizen” with a benign interest in SIG firearms, using a government computer and your government email address is strictly prohibited and constitutes “misuse of government property.” All of which leads me to conclude that the person who emailed you was operating in an official capacity, not as an individual on “personal time.”

It’s been made crystal clear that this forum supports law enforcement at any level.

Exactly. Made it down to Paras comments about it wasn’t his email, I can access Sigforum from work but I certainly wouldn’t register on any sites regardless of what email I used.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6344 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tmats is spot on. The use of federal government computers for such activity is prohibited and can get you suspended or even fired.

This clown is just that.. a clown. Good riddance.

And as for supporting the thin blue line, no one with a modicum of familiarity with things here could ever say this forum did not support law-enforcement.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Possible, person works for DHS, but in a very low level and "non-LE" position.

That could explain both the "DHS" email address and the manner of dialog. (poor grammar, passive/aggressive attitude, and overall demeanor).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post