SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For all forum members: An email exchange I would like you to read
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all forum members: An email exchange I would like you to read Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Just two words needed, False Pretenses.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
{Quote}: The problem is not the rank-and-file officers in these agencies. The problem is at the top level, and probably at mid-level as well, but the men and women who put their lives on the line have my support. {Quote}
100%

I Don't think it would matter to much for this guy being LEO or not. A bully like that wouldn't last too long around here anyway.
Just a guess, but I think members with LEO backgrounds make up a SIGnificant portion of our membership and deserve way more respect that they get.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: D_Steve,

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Tmats and others have pointed out, if it is from a genuine Gov. domain (even if they are logging in during lunch, etc.), it's misuse of government property intended for official use only. Message board participation, etc. are prohibited. If he wants to go to SIG's webpage, to learn of upcoming products, training, parts, and so on in an official capacity; no problem unless their IT is much more restrictive than what I experienced. Twenty-five years ago, perhaps it was much more lenient with Gov. IT, but not today.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
As long as I have been a member, Para has always been supportive of law enforcement. Sounds like the fed got hurt that his using DHS email got called out. His asking that his info not be revealed is probably his fear that his agency might find out. Para once again did what was necessary.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
As long as I have been a member, Para has always been supportive of law enforcement. Sounds like the fed got hurt that his using DHS email got called out. His asking that his info not be revealed is probably his fear that his agency might find out. Para once again did what was necessary.

Bingo. But it was a DHS network not email.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that that person had any idea just what he was up against. His "threat" was definitely the wrong approach to take on this forum. I also think the person is quite young and inexperienced.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Seems odd... one usually reads a fishing forum when on a fishing expedition.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Just two words needed, False Pretenses.

I wouldn’t go that far. I think the guy is likely a dunce for using his .gov address. Signing up on a chat board with your agency email address with the intent of some kind of UC operation would be akin to showing up to a UC drug buy in a marked police car and then trying to convince the target you’re not a narc.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He didn't use his DHS email address. He used a personal email address. The crux of the matter is that the registration attempt came from the network of the Department of Homeland Security. Any registration attempt coming from any government agency is denied by me, automatically.

Everyone knows the federal government is monitoring all gun forums, and all sorts of forums where there may be content which might be deemed dangerous or inflammatory, so, those guys are already here, but they have ways of disguising that. That's why I think there was nothing nefarious about this guy trying to register. But, it's America in the 21st century, so...

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His panties are twisted way to tight to be challenging a dick measuring contest.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fucking intern thought he was going to get some dirt and went fishing and got trolled

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been around here a long time, a lot longer than my current registration date indicates. Back before Agony was married the first time, Mark123 was trying to sell an engagement ring in the classifieds, and LBJ had not proposed yet.

SIGforum, the founders and owners, as well as moderators have ALWAYS supported law enforcement.

I am a government employee, non-LEO, that provides IT support to a state LEO agency.

I do not feel like a second-class citizen here, never thought about it.

My wife and I had the pleasure of sharing lunch with Para and his bride in Duluth last summer. Great conversation and a lot in common.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
As an ExFed, I can say confidently that registering for a forum as a “private citizen” with a benign interest in SIG firearms, using a government computer and your government email address is strictly prohibited and constitutes “misuse of government property.” All of which leads me to conclude that the person who emailed you was operating in an official capacity, not as an individual on “personal time.”

It’s been made crystal clear that this forum supports law enforcement at any level.

I was typing the civilian equivalent LOL, no way DHS or any federal agency is going to let people on their network with private devices, much less sign up for any type of consumer web pages, imagine the web traffic and lack of work being done if people could get on fakebook all day.

It was simply clearly and easily explained to him how to deal with it, he clearly didn't like it or worse understand it...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what his real intention is. As others have stated, it's likely that his use of his work computer likely violated policies there.

All that aside, if I were in his position and truly wanted to register for his stated purposes I'd go home that night and re-register from home with a different user name to start clean. He probably could have even done that with his personal phone that day.

Given his obvious argumentative tone, he is likely to be someone that would fall afoul of acceptable forum behavior and edicate in a short time here so best to pass anyway.

In today's world, anyone here should be grateful that members that have some access to other members information are carefully screened. If I was the one signing up, I wouldn't be concerned by a little extra scrutiny, I'd welcome it. He would also benefit from this policy as a member.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I've always assumed that management and members here supported LEOs of all stripes. I think I got that idea because there are about 1,000 posts that say it, management proclaims it and treats posters that don't share the philosophy of acceptance in a semi-rough manner. And I'm pretty sure there is a cop or two that posts here.

Maybe Bunky was just having a tough day...or life.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
As an ExFed, I can say confidently that registering for a forum as a “private citizen” with a benign interest in SIG firearms, using a government computer and your government email address is strictly prohibited

quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Using a .gov email address for your personal forum membership, nothing good goes from there.

... I'm not seeing where he used his government email address. All the communication seems to be coming from his personal Hotmail account.

There's also not any specific indication that he used a government computer.

It's just that the initial registration came while he was utilizing a DHS IP address, which means that whatever device he was using was connecting through a DHS network. For example, it could have been his personal phone on the office wifi in the breakroom.

I used.gov email because in my limited network knowledge that’s what I thought would show it was from DHS. Apparently I was wrong it was a government server.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
It's no bueno for a fed employee to use a work wifi network for personnel use. Just not supposed to be done because of security concerns.

The guy is a goober and messed up.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Sarcasm on

"But, this Parabellum guy made me feel like a second class citizen........"

Para, you big meanie Wink

Sarcasm off

That whole exchange made me laugh.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have a few friends that work for Homeland and 2 in Border Patrol directly. None of them would have responded like this guy did.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judging from his choice of words, I would expect he was fairly young, possibly an 25 yo with the maturity of a 15 yo. Also possibly an idiot trying catch someone or SF doing something wrong, to prove himself at work.
---------
I am merely wanting to
>>>> connect with other Sig enthusiasts to talk about Sig products which I
>>>> currently own several types
-----------
The sentence above seems very phony, IMO.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post