SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Um, it's big Jim.

Picked up the trailer yesterday from the dealer and discovered a bonus.

When we walked up tot he trailer to do the PDI, we saw a generator in the generator box. The trailer we cut the deal on did not include a generator. Thinking they were going to pull the generator and just have not gotten around to it, we walked the unit and then went in to close out the sale.

Right after we sat down the sales manager says 'you've seen the unit has a generator. Hope you enjoy the generator'. Now, I don't know if the dealer messed up or the factory failed to tell them about the generator when they were looking for a unit for me, but we drove away with a free $4,000 generator.

Anyway, here are the first pics. Can't wait to load it up this weekend and see how much this sucker weighs. My wife is thinking there may be a new truck in our future.....

Not a good pic of the inside with the slide in.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
new truck in our future.....

Hmmm, smart gal. Nice trailer. I agree with her, but you already knew that. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
new truck in our future.....

Hmmm, smart gal. Nice trailer. I agree with her, but you already knew that. Wink

Yup and the answer will be known before the end of the camping season Wink

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Quite lengthy.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is an awesome trailer!
You're gonna have a blast with it!

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Like!

More pics please.

You might need the Ford F450 for stability..

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats!

Posts: 5699 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome bonus. The generator will come in handy when you don't want to be in an RV park connected to shorepower and just decide to camp on your own.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Couldn't help but notice that truck isn't even starting to squat. How does it pull?

Looks good!

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
haha, There is a pretty good load on that truck as it sits.
Also, is that a jack down?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That ain't "camping", it's dragging a house behind your truck! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats! That is an awesome trailer!
You're gonna have a blast with it!
Thanks. Were excited about it.

quote:
You might need the Ford F450 for stability..

God, I hope not. If anything Id like to upgrade to an SRW 3500. I still believe this truck will work but the test will be next month on our trip thru the Pennsylvania hills.

quote:
That's an awesome bonus. The generator will come in handy when you don't want to be in an RV park connected to shorepower and just decide to camp on your own.

Yes it is. There are a couple places we go that we dry camp so it will come in handy. The downfall though its adding more pin weight and its more maintenance on the trailer to deal with. Triler life used to be simple....

quote:
Couldn't help but notice that truck isn't even starting to squat. How does it pull?

The truck has Timbrens on it to help the stability and reduce the squat. The truck pulled it fine but we didn't have to drive very far as our dealer is only 15 minutes away. This weekend when I load it up and drag it to the CAT scale will say more.

quote:
Also, is that a jack down?

No. The truck is taking the full load of the trailer. If my math is correct, the pin weight in the picture is over 2,700 lbs. Once it gets loaded and the quads are in as a counterweight, the pin should drop a couple hundred pounds.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Happy wife, happy life. If she says you need a new truck, well what choice do you have?

While the generator will add to the pin weight, the fuel tank for it and the fueling station are behind the axles. You can probably put enough fuel in them to more than offset the generator.

I'd get weights right now, before you load anything. Both hitched and unhitched, that way you know where you are at and what you have to play with.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Beautiful trailer! If I had to pull it, I'd be replacing my mailbox every other week Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats we were looking last summer at new toy haulers. Figured we would have to get a new F350, so figuring the trailer price and the price of the new truck with diesel, we just got a aluminum trailer to just haul our ATV and UTV, we will stay in a motel or cabin.
I am not saying what you should have done, but we just did not feel it was right for us.
It would be great though.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Well, after a few trips with the old 2500, we came to the realization it was time to put her out to pasture and move on. Not that she couldn't do the job, she was starting to feel a little worn down in the springs. Actually, I made the mistake on going to the dealers lot and test driving a Duramax. So, now here we are with a new truck and trailer in 2018.
What the hell, I'll just have to push back retirement a couple more years.....

So, without further ado, here is our new 2018 GMC 3500HD Denali Duramax\Allison. Mo Money.....

One thing I was concerned about was these new trucks are taller and I was concerned about the height of the trailer getting too high. With the old truck the top of the AC was at 13'6". with the new truck it appears to have only gone up and inch, maybe two. Still 13'8" is concerning. I still have the stock pin which sis lowedr than the Air bag pin i put on. Another option would be to drop the truck 2". There is a kit that provides longer shackles and key for the torsion bars to lower it. Still debating if I want to do that. The front of the trailer as about 4" higher than the rear.

posted Hide Post
Pictures can be deceiving, but for sure I wouldn't be happy with the apparent tow angle.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
I would try and keep the TrailAir on it if I could. It make a big ride difference on mine. What is the bed rail to trailer clearance? Can you lower the 5th wheel in the truck? I feel safe at 6" clearance. I like the trailer as level as I can so it shares the load on the trailer axles.

Posts: 378 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sj4550:
I would try and keep the TrailAir on it if I could. It make a big ride difference on mine. What is the bed rail to trailer clearance? Can you lower the 5th wheel in the truck? I feel safe at 6" clearance. I like the trailer as level as I can so it shares the load on the trailer axles.

I didn’t measure the height between the bed and the bottom of the trailer but it’s about 8”. The pin is at its highest and the hitch is at its lowest setting. I too don’t want to go back to the stock pin as the rise is night and day with the air ride pin but I may end up having to.