SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Right, three huh? Is that as high as you can count? I mean come on. Obviously there are members here who could haul all of your stuff in a load or two and have decades of towing experience. But they do not come into a thread and post thirty some odd times. Most way off topic. If you read my last post and your next one is all you got, then great.

If the op gets the new trailer, he will most likely do fine with his tow vehicle. If he decides that it is more trailer than he feels comfortable with his rig. Many think that is a prudent decision.

By the way. I do not recall anyone saying his truck would not haul that trailer.

You have a terrible habit of doing what you have turned this thread into.

Ali, I typically enjoy your participation on the SF. I do respect your knowledge and experience in this topic and others. Smile

I apologize to the op and won't post anymore in it. Best of luck U.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19297 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Educating with facts and experience? I'll try to dumb it down from now on. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15758 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Educating with facts and experience? I'll try to dumb it down from now on. Wink

You know, your experience is different than the OP's experience. Your experience is different than others, than mine, and that is fine. Tow that trailer behind even a dually in South Florida and it will put the fear of God into you many times. Drivers here don't care, they cut right in front of you, don't signal, slam on the brakes, you name it. You will have A LOT of OHHHH NOOOOO braking sessions.

Will the truck haul the trailer? YES
Is it the best/safest choice of truck to haul that trailer? NO
Is it as good as a diesel dually and as stout in regards to hauling that trailer? NO.
Will a gas 2500 HD truck feel that trailer behind it, absolutely. In Mountains, most definitely.

If the OP is like MOST RV'ers that tow an RV a total of 1,000 miles each year, over the course of 6 different days it's fine.

The correct truck to haul that trailer, accounting for all types of mountains, traffic, and weather, Would be a duramax diesel HD 3500 dually. The OP's truck will tow it, but it's at the edge of it's capabilities in all aspects.

It entirely depends on where and HOW the OP is going to tow that trailer. If his longest tow is 2 hours on a nice summer day, then yes it is adequate. If the OP is planning on hauling that trailer cross country, or 50 entire days a year, through the mountains and back, I would say NO.

Nobody is saying it won't haul it. But it definitely is not more truck than he needs to haul it, it is barely enough truck.

Anyways, here we go with talking in circles again.

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I bet you only shoot 8mm out of your 9mm. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15758 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For the record, I have towed my 39 foot, 15,700lb GVWR, 13'4" tall, 5th wheel toy hauler a little over 8,000 miles in the last year. My tow vehicle is a 2015 F350 SRW, crew cab, long bed, diesel with 3.55 gearing. I've camped in Texas, Kentucky, Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Tennessee, and of course Florida. I've towed in 30+ mph crosswinds twice. I've towed over US441 through the Great Smoky Mountains twice.

I'd be wary of anyone that says they don't know the trailer is back there when towing, so I won't. I know it's back there. The truck works harder to accelerate, it takes a lot longer to decelerate, and response to steering inputs isn't the same. The truck also rides better and feels a hair more stable with the trailer than without. The truck behaves exactly the same with or without the trailer in crosswinds. It used to get pushed around a little in high crosswinds, but since I put a Hellwig anti-roll bar in the back and replaced the stock front anti-roll bar with a larger Hellwig one, that has gone away. I don't feel any push with crosswinds or when passing or being passed by semis.

Driving my rig is a one hand on the wheel, relaxed experience. Unlike the Class C motor home we rented a couple years ago. E450 dually chassis, 36' long, drove to St Andrews State Park in the manhandle and my nerves were shot. Same thing on the way home. Damn thing wouldn't hold a straight line and it only had 5,000 miles on it.

I can't fully load my trailer and be within all my numbers. I weighed the rig loaded with the wife, kids, full fuel and found I was 300 pounds over on the truck's 11,400 GVWR. Fortunately, I was able to move some things out of the truck into the trailer's garage and out of the trailer's forward storage compartment into the garage, so I didn't have to leave the wife and kids at home.

Posts: 11123 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyways, here we go with talking in circles again.

Yup, and no point circling around once again.

Thanks for the input. There is some good study here.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5768 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must have missed the figures by a1abdj.
Must have missed the photos.

Glad the 50 gallon fuel tank was installed for those 20 mile flat road trips!
It was installed so one could drive 800-1000 miles without stopping for fuel.

I believe anyone who spends money on a rig like this is going further than 20 miles from home. Roll Eyes
This rig was purchased for traveling and has been pulled all over the United States. Many 900 mile trips in two days.

Relatively flat roads?
The Duramax/Allison laughs at mountains.

2005 so it's 13 yrs. old and still drives, rides and handles like a brand new truck.

Posts: 10057 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why are all of these big trucks making the move from duals to singles on the big rigs? Wink

Some go for a better ride or to gain fuel mileage.

Some for a lighter rig, so they can haul more material and be able to weigh in under 80K. In fact, there's one local company which requires it's owner/operators to have a vehicle under a certain weight. In this case, super singles are a must.

Has NOTHING to do with lighter loads or shorter trailers.

And yes 53' trailers with single tires pulling 80,000 lbs. OTR.

quote:
posted by I've done it all
I do not know the answer to that. I am not a tractor trailer driver (CDL A).

Then quit trying to explain the shorter trailers, lighter loads and shorter travel distances.

posted Hide Post
quote:

What about in snow or mud. How do duallies do compared to single tires?

The single wheel vehicles are the ones driving down the road looking at all the duallies in the ditch getting pulled out by single tire trucks.

Duallies are absolutely crap in the snow. Might as well install racing slicks.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^ I knew the answers before I asked them. I was hoping he would have figured that out and stopped making assertions before researching what he was talking about.

I had to go dig this up from the photo graveyard of business past. Seems some people are confusing what some of us are saying as opinion instead of fact. Confusing real experience with what we saw on the internet once.

I apologize for the quality. The best I could do on short notice was a phone photo of a Polaroid. If you squint really hard, you can make out my name under the "owned by" section on the side of that truck. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
^^^ Just helping point out the facts. Wink

posted Hide Post
Back on page 3 Ali does some figuring based on weights pulled from some source, likely GM. But the next post after that, from the OP, lists a hugely different curb weight. And just like that the truck is over weight. Before the wife, dog, and Super Big Gulps. I have little experience towing, and none at those weights or trailer sizes. So don’t listen to my opinion. But math is. And the truck is overweight by the numbers posted.

Experience counts too. Ali and others rightly point out that the truck can do it. And it will until it doesn’t. Then someone will pick up all the pieces after the crash, or just look at this public thread, and suddenly OP is on the stand answering why he knowingly and intentionally overloaded his vehicle. Then it doesn’t matter if some drunk asshat was driving the wrong way down a divided freeway and caused whatever accident (and injuries or deaths) happened, there is negligence and liability for all to share.

OP, just tell your wife the new trailer costs $Trailer+NewTruck. You may both suddenly love the one you have.

Posts: 534 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
And just like that the truck is over weight.

I haven't seen anybody in this thread question why the gross weight ratings of these trucks are all 9,200 and 9,900 pounds. I mean they're so close to 10,000, but not quite there.

Anybody think of a reason for this? You think it's because that's the maximum weight the truck is designed to handle?

Ford F-250 9,950 pounds. Chevy/GMC 2500 9,500 pounds. Ram 2500 9,000 and 9,900. Granted a few will sport a 10,000 pound tag, but most are just a hair under. It must be some sort of conspiracy that none of these manufacturers can build a 3/4 ton truck that can handle itself weighing over 10,000 pounds. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
And just like that the truck is over weight.

I haven't seen anybody in this thread question why the gross weight ratings of these trucks are all 9,200 and 9,900 pounds. I mean they're so close to 10,000, but not quite there.

Anybody think of a reason for this? You think it's because that's the maximum weight the truck is designed to handle?

Ford F-250 9,950 pounds. Chevy/GMC 2500 9,500 pounds. Ram 2500 9,000 and 9,900. Granted a few will sport a 10,000 pound tag, but most are just a hair under. It must be some sort of conspiracy that none of these manufacturers can build a 3/4 ton truck that can handle itself weighing over 10,000 pounds. Wink

THE OP STATED IT WOULD BE OVERWEIGHT
The OP stated himself that his vehicle is not legally safe by law to tow this load.
GVW Truck: 9,766lbs - 576lbs over the G vehicle weight rating

The simple answer to the Gross Weight Rating is simple. The TIRES,Suspension and Frame. You can't get tires to make more weight in a 3/4 or 1 ton as well as the frame and suspension. Why do you think it is called a 3/4 TON or a 1 TON truck (HD 2500/HD3500). Look at an F450 and you will instantly see why it is a heavier rated truck by the frame, suspension and tires.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The simple answer to the Gross Weight Rating is simple. The TIRES.

Close. It's actually politics though. Laws and how companies like to avoid them and all.

quote:
Look at an F450 and you will instantly see why it is a heavier rated truck by the frame, suspension and tires.

Interesting that you bring that up as it the perfect example of what I just said above. I have one of those too. Well, a Ram 4500. Close enough.

Did you know that I can put any of my employees in that GMC with that gooseneck fully loaded. Yet if I put an empty tandem axle trailer behind that Ram they need a CDL to drive it.

Fully loaded that GMC is just under 26,000 pounds (another important number worth remembering). That Ram with my empty equipment trailer weighs 16,000. 10,000 pounds less, but you must have that CDL.

The reason the GVWR of 3/4 ton trucks is what it is has less to do with what the truck is capable of, and more to do with what laws are involved.

Also worth mentioning that the 3500 has a higher towing capacity than my 4500. Smaller truck capable of higher capacities! Hardly believable yet true.

quote:

And how to rectify that was discussed by others who tow these big campers. Based on the actual numbers he could be well within every single applicable number.

www.zykansafe.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

And how to rectify that was discussed by others who tow these big campers. Based on the actual numbers he could be well within every single applicable number.[/QUOTE]

And divorced???? After making his wife ride in the camper with his trucks spare tire and the luggage?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

quote:
And how to rectify that was discussed by others who tow these big campers. Based on the actual numbers he could be well within every single applicable number.

And divorced???? After making his wife ride in the camper with his trucks spare tire and the luggage?

In the garage! Eek Big Grin

Posts: 534 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

quote:

In the garage! Eek Big Grin

Oh come on, I said leave the wife home, not put her in the garage.

Interesting bringing up the F450. The current F350 and F450 pickups have the same frame and the same 14,000lb GVWR. The F450 has different axles, 19.5 inch wheels which allow room for its larger brakes, and 4.30 gearing instead of the F350's 4.10 gearing. The gearing gives the F450 about 2,000 lbs more towing capacity, but the extra weight of the axles, brakes, wheels, and tires reduces the payload by about 1,000 lbs. The F450 Chassis Cab is a true class 4 truck and has a much heavier frame, beefier suspension, and a 16,500 lb GVWR, so more payload capacity than the F450 pickup. However; the Chassis Cab is has less towing capacity than the F450 pickup due to the engine being derated to 330HP and 750lb-ft of torque.

Posts: 11123 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Jimmy. Enough already. Your point is made (but I do like this comment)

quote:

Wonder if I can pull this with my 3/4ton.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5768 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Once the price of a new diesel ‘duelly’ is posted, it will make most look to plan B.

Posts: 6219 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post