SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
How about saving some $$ and forget you went to the RV show?

That’s a great idea. This is definitely a want more than a need decision.

Excam. How did that thing pull? That looks about the same size as the trailer we are looking at.

I’m not concerned about my trucks ability to pull the trailer, the stopping and stability are the concernes. As mentioned before, likely to put on upgraded brakes on the truck though I like the electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer idea.

Do t want to get a dually. Not interested in two payments and no place to park it. It won’t fit in the garage.

92fstech. Thanks but that is a picture when it was new. It’s stilll not in bad shape but I wish it still looked like that.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I'm 1,000lbs under my tow limited loaded. Coming down a steep grade in CT. with my wife driving I though she was going to loose it. Even under weight, things can get away from you quickly. Had I been driving, I would have lightly activated the trailer brakes, she went straight for the foot brake pedal. It all boils down to ass time in the seat while towing. I drove tractor trailers early on for 18 years so I developed the go the right speed for your vehicle and expect other drivers to not know how to drive.

I am a firm believer in having quite a bit of margin in my tv, which can be difficult to do when towing with a half-ton pick-up concerning cargo capacity and rear axle load. This philosophy saved our asses during the ONE TIME my wife towed.

I was working quite a bit of midnight overtime at the time and we were towing our high-wall pop-up, about 3850 lbs with an Expedition on the freeway with three of our kids in the vehicle. Despite firm instructions to keep lots of distance and make smooth lane changes and such, as I was dozing in the passenger seat I glanced over to see her staring into the drivers side mirror as if trying to negotiate enough space to change lanes. Once she surmised she had enough room she whipped the wheel over, causing a whip-saw effect and having the whole damn thing to sway all over 2 lanes until she got it to settle down. Needless to say I was wide awake after that.... And drove every mile with anything attached to the vehicle since!!

Last year, after buying a new hybrid, empty weight about 5k, and leasing a new F150 I was towing on the freeway in the right lane with a nearly empty camper and truck when saw a state trooper in the median turn on his lights and proceed to pull some guy over, and I began to slow down. I re-learned you should never assume people aren't stupid. The driver quickly whipped over onto the shoulder and so did the trooper, who left his rear end hanging partially in my lane, right in front of me! I mashed the brakes and moved over to my left as far as I could in order to clear the cop while not causing an accident (it was late rush hour). Not much else I could do as there was traffic to my left which is why I chose to slow down and not change lanes in the first place, although I wasn't completely successful as there appeared to be a minor accident that happened despite my best efforts. Not sure what else I could have done as the cop/driver left me with almost no room. Having plenty of truck was a definite advantage to me in this case! Sometimes things happen beyond your control, and having margin for error can make a huge difference!

Posts: 2561 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I tried looking up the specs of your truck and only found max trailer weight of 12,000; 13,900; and 15,900. I think the 12,000 is for conventional towing regardless of gearing and for 5th wheel it's 13,900 if you have 3.73 gearing and 15,900 if you have 4.10 gearing.

If you have 4.10s, I'd find a dealer that will let you hitch up the trailer; load the four wheelers and get it weighed at a CAT scale. The pin weight will be lower with atvs loaded. It looks like the unit you are looking at is a 313T which Jayco says has 2,300 pound pin weight.

The first time I weighed my truck and trailer, I found I was 11,700 on the truck, or 300 pounds over my truck's 11,400 GVWR. I moved some things out of the truck and into the trailer to solve that.

My opinion is if your truck and trailer are properly maintained and you are within both vehicles payload, GVWR, and GCVWR, then you are fine and the world won't explode if you are a little over. You'll find other opinions about 10% margin, 20% margin, nothing but a class 8 Kenworth is acceptable or you can tow anything with a half-ton. The manufacturers' specs are the closest thing we have to facts.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I don't know why so many of you are saying that his truck can't handle the trailer. Every single number is within spec. 15,600 pound towing capacity.

The 8.1 is a 496 cubic inch big block that is/was used in much larger vehicles that the pick up. The Allison transmission is one of the best in its class. I see these 2500s pulling big 5th wheel campers pretty reguarly. I have a buddy who pulls a tri-axle toy hauler behind his.

The only difference between the truck in the below photos and his is that I have a heavier set of rear springs and a much heavier utility body. I have no issue towing the types of weight he's planning on, although the fuel economy isn't the best.

Maybe because of what was said in the OP?

My concern is I don't want to buy a new truck to pull this thing. The combined weight is below the trucks capacity and the rear axle rating is below it's capacity but the gross vehicle weight is over by about 700 lbs (estimated) 9,900lbs vs. 9,200 lbs.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Time for me to go find a photo...

Your truck WILL BE just fine.

And here it is:

2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax w/Allison, 40' 5th Wheel, three axle, 4-slides (3 on opposite side and 1 on the side shown). Ceiling height in the 5th wheel area is 6' 9". Combo box in bed, Top Toolbox / Bottom 50 Gallon Fuel Tank.

I towed my 26' 5th wheel Holiday Rambler with 1 slide out with a 2002 DuraMax CC 8' bed. It towed great. But I wouldn't want to tow your trailer without a dually. Could I, yes. Would I, No.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
ugeestaIs

Is you bed 6' or 8'? Makes a difference with the wheel base.

Living the Dream

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
My concern is I don't want to buy a new truck to pull this thing. The combined weight is below the trucks capacity and the rear axle rating is below it's capacity but the gross vehicle weight is over by about 700 lbs (estimated) 9,900lbs vs. 9,200 lbs.

And myself and others in this thread who run similar trucks while towing have told you that your truck would have no problem.

The truck in my photo has a GVWR of 9,900 pounds too. That has more to do with federal DOT regulations than what the truck will actually handle.

That said, where are you coming up with being over on your gross weight?

I posted the numbers earlier. The figure I found for your vehicle showed a curb weight of 5,300 pounds. You said that the pin weigh of the new trailer is 2,700 pounds. My math says that is 8,000 pounds.

If your GVWR is 9,200 pounds, you're 1,200 pounds under, not 700 over.

Seems that these numbers can be confusing to those who don't deal with them regularly. Your GVWR is the weight that is pressing down upon all four of your vehicle wheels. It has nothing to do with a trailer aside from the fact that a trailer can be putting weight on the vehicle. Your GVWR minus your curb weight equals your carrying capacity.

A example you see every day and don't think about is a tractor trailer. Most of these trucks run 80,000 pounds, but the tractors do not have 80,000 pound GVWR. Some may have a 52,000 pound GVWR using 20,000 pounds per rear axle and 12,000 pounds on the front. Now say the tractor weighs around 20,000 pounds. This means they can only have a maximum weight of 32,000 pounds of trailer weight over the rear axles with the rest being carried by the trailer axles.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Think that last quote was quoted from my OP and has not been restated again.

Anyway, here are my truck numbers:
Engine: 8.1l/Allison 5 Speed
Rear Ratio: 4:10
4WD
Wheelbase 144"
Short Bed Truck
GVRW: 9,200lbs
GCWR: 22,000lbs
GAWR Front: 4,670lbs
GAWR Rear: 6,070lbs

Curb Weight of truck with driver (240lbs), full gas tank, 5th wheel hitch: *** Pulled from CAT scale in 2009 ***
Front: 3,880lbs
Rear: 2,880lbs
Total: 6,760lbs

That gives me 3,204lbs extra capacity on the rear axle and 2,440lbs for gross vehicle weight capacity. Adding 250lbs for my wife and supplies the allowable load on the rear axle goes down to 3,092lbs.

Trailer specs with assumed loading and weight distribution:
Trailer Empty Weight: 10,810
Trailer Assumed Loaded weight: 13,869
Pin weight at 20%: 2,766lbs

Total Weights:
GVW Truck: 9,766lbs - 576lbs over the G vehicle weight rating
GAW Front: 4,018 - 653lbs under Gross axle weight
GAW Rear: 5,758 - 326lbs under Gross axle weigh
GCW Total: 20,879 - 1,121lbs under Gross combined weight

So, if the weight distribution calculator I am using is accurate, the only number that is over is the allowable weight limit for the truck.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do t want to get a dually.

Then scrap the idea.

making payments on the trailer is a no go also.

Fagetaboutit! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19769 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 40' trailer pulled fine with 0 problems for 10 years. Not one single problem with the pulling, handling, stopping, etc.

It comes down to this... if you want the new trailer, buy it. You have the vehicle to pull it. If you want to listen to people who have experience, you'll have no problems. There's people who do and people who talk.

The truck already has the needed braking power. Keep good brakes and tires on the truck/trailer.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
my buddy has a dodge diesel dually that hauls a trailer that has similar characteristics and has for years for tons of miles. He would not use that truck. No way.

Yes, you could tow it with your truck. And probably do it with out issue most of the time. Is it near or at the max of what it can handle and leave virtually no margin for error. I think so. And I would not feel comfortable towing something like that down the road at sixty mph with that being the case myself.

While excams experience is valid. His is not the only valid one out there on the subject for sure.

Good luck in your decision U.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

If I was towing your trailer I would would get a 3/4 ton diesel. You might be able to make one of the new half ton diesels work.

You can't be serious... this has to be a misprint, trade his 2500HD in for a new 1/2 ton???

posted Hide Post
quote:

I towed my 26' 5th wheel Holiday Rambler with 1 slide out with a 2002 DuraMax CC 8' bed. It towed great. But I wouldn't want to tow your trailer without a dually. Could I, yes. Would I, No.

Why not?

As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Obviously we all have different opinions based in part on our experiences...
I have a Class A CDL and regularly haul our construction equipment (CAT 259, 939,or 312).
In addition I also have a camper I haul around.

In my professional opinion you will be over your gvwr of your 3/4 ton and I would look for a used 1 ton dually to haul that 40' fifth wheel. Wether it fits in your garage or not is of little concern to me as your life should be more important than that...

Sorry if this is coming off rather strong but I see people overloaded all the time barely able to drive down the road...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my professional opinion you will be over your gvwr of your 3/4 ton and I would look for a used 1 ton dually

Opinion aside, how does the math work out? In your opinion, what would his gross vehicle weight be with that trailer attached? Wink

quote:
You can't be serious... this has to be a misprint, trade his 2500HD in for a new 1/2 ton???

Everybody knows you can't tow anything with a big block gasoline engine. A 1/2 ton diesel would be superior to a 2 ton gasser. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

Why not?

It's a comfort level. With a 3 axel trailer combined with the length and weight, I would not feel comfortable towing with a single wheel rear. I drove 18 wheelers for 20 years when I was younger and know what I feel comfortable driving. I see plenty of trucks on the road like yours, it's common, just not something I myself would not do.

Living the Dream

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I'm seeing an awful lot of over the road trucks running singles now. 14 wheelers instead of 18. Sometimes even 10 wheelers with singles on the trailer.

I don't think anybody is disagreeing that a dual wheel truck would be better. A tandem axle truck would be even better. Tri-axle truck better yet. All many of us are saying is that although there are better options, his current vehicle is more than capable.

www.zykansafe.com

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Marginally capable imho

posted Hide Post
quote:
his current vehicle is more than capable.

Bingo!

*Sorry, but someone's comfort level doesn't equate to his 2500HD not being adequite for the task.

As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
In my professional opinion you will be over your gvwr of your 3/4 ton and I would look for a used 1 ton dually

Opinion aside, how does the math work out? In your opinion, what would his gross vehicle weight be with that trailer attached?....... Big Grin

Easy...

According to the manufacturer the Jayco has a gvwr of 16,500 pounds...

The towing capacity of a 2002 gmc 2500HD has a fifth wheel towing capacity of between 13,200 and 15,400 depending on its particular configuration...the gvwr of the HD is 9200 pounds

The gvwr of the rig could be as high as 25,700 pounds but he will be over his towing limit by at least 1100 pounds...

For shits and giggles I just looked up the specs on my 2016 F-350 srw cc with the 6.7 diesel and even this truck, which is a beast compared to the op's, cant legally tow it.
You will need to upgrade to a dually to do it legally...
http://www.fleet.ford.com/reso...SuperDtyPU_Sep28.pdf

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post