SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes? Or No. New Camper Trailer Related - Update. New Truck Time Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Why is it everytime jimmy starts spouting off his resume the etrade yatch kid comes to mind?

Jimmy, no need to impress people here. They don't care what you do for a living. And you come off as a dick every time you do this. Calm down and be a part of this community.

Sorry op for going off topic.

Posts: 7404 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^. That isn’t really called for and should be removed.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but agree that once said, it does not need to be said repeatedly to the disgust of others.

Let’s get back to a civil conversation, okay?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never stated what I actually DO for a living in this thread. I simply stated I now work in the Yachting industry.

I DID state what I did in the past. I don't or didn't really think working in a body shop sanding and taping cars and trucks and changing oil and doing mechanical stuff or driving a tow truck or glorified U haul truck is glamorous by any means but it was pertinent to the discussion.

And, to be honest the yachting industry isn't anymore glamorous either. The next time I have other peoples human waste up to my elbows because I'm changing the macerator pump (shit pump) or oil and diesel all over my hands and arms because I'm changing fuel filters and changing 60 gallons of oil during an oil change, or rinsing off a 90' long and 40' tall motoryacht AND drying every inch of it like I did 2 weekends ago, or getting the crap pounded out of your body all day bouncing around in 6-8' seas, you can remind me how glamorous it is. Sure Captaining the vessel is nice and fun but takes a lot of concentration, the yachts are very nice, and the destinations are very nice but 2/3 of the time you see the marina and the restaurant at the marina and are gone the next morning,and we eat well but so what it's food, but make NO MISTAKE it is every bit a job and has a lot of hard work a lot of long hours and not all aspects are easy, most aspects aren't easy actually. The stuff you see on TV or in the movies, is just that.

If you want a new revelation of what hard work is and what really goes on in a job in the yachting industry, come down to South Florida and I'll put you to work. When I'm on a trip/delivery, I'll work 14 hours a day for up to 16 days straight (sometimes more), without a single day off, and get paid the same pay per day as running a boat local for 7 hours. It's pretty short sighted to judge someone on an industry you know NOTHING about. Can you please tell me what is so IMPRESSIVE about working on yachts?????

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Jimmy.

This thread is not about you. Give it a rest already.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I had to swing by the local Camping World today. Since I was there anyway I figured I would inquire as to their experience. Speaking with their sales manager he said that 5th wheels under 15,000 pounds had a mix of single and dual rear wheel tow vehicles saying that singles were a lot more common than most people think. He said once the trailer was over 15,000 pounds, almost without exception they were on dual wheeled trucks.

So there you have it, right from a guy that sells a bunch of this stuff. Apparently many people are towing sub 15,000 pound trailers on single tired trucks without issue.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I had to swing by the local Camping World today. Since I was there anyway I figured I would inquire as to their experience. Speaking with their sales manager he said that 5th wheels under 15,000 pounds had a mix of single and dual rear wheel tow vehicles saying that singles were a lot more common than most people think. He said once the trailer was over 15,000 pounds, almost without exception they were on dual wheeled trucks.

So there you have it, right from a guy that sells a bunch of this stuff. Apparently many people are towing sub 15,000 pound trailers on single tired trucks without issue.

Well that’s enough for me. The missus and I are going trailer shoppin this weekend. Razz

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to ask them about the differences between 2 and 3 axle trailers. Most guys I know who are pulling 40 footers, have 3 axles.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Well that’s enough for me. The missus and I are going trailer shoppin this weekend. Razz

Go trailer shopping this weekend and enjoy yourself. There are plenty of options and I have learned the hard way not to buy on the spot. I did that with a Class C and my current trailer. One thing I can say with confidence, I have rarely seen a car, truck, or RV salesman that is totally truthful. I have had RV Salesmen tell me my trucks could tow their RV's without a problem only to go home and do the research and see that it would be a problem. You have been given a lot of information on these posts and I'm sure done your own research. Don't rush it, The trailer for you is out there. Good luck.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rtquig has some wise words.

What he is saying is the same thing I’ve said:
1-the salesperson doesn’t get paid unless and until you buy something.
2-the bigger the sale the bigger their income.
Keep both in mind.

I’ve met one vehicle/RV salesperson who told me to NOT buy a vehicle (they were right, and we didn’t buy it). We’ve bought two used vehicles from him over the past 10 years, and been pleased with both. (It probably helps that he is retired AF and doesn’t need the sales income.)

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My comment was in jest. Our plan is to go one more season with our current trailer before we do anything. I’ll beat the web sites and lots for a while before making a commitment.

The current trailer will by 7 years old this year so there is no real need to change. It’s just controlling the wants.

posted Hide Post
Did you check these out?

https://www.rvwholesalers.com/...er&hitch=fifth+wheel

You can custom order your rv as well. Fairly local to you as well.

Posts: 3683 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Well, there goes that plan. Just got back. From the Stealer after putting a downpayment on the new trailer. Currently it’s in Elkhart and we should have it in a couple weeks.

On a side note: don’t waste your time with Camping World. Once they figured out I knew more than they did they stopped communicating with me. Ended up getting a decent deal from our local Jayco rep.

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I know this thread went back and forth on truck and trailer weight. How much does the new Jayco weigh?
Camping season will be here soon, so enjoy. I spent 4 months starting in January at a campground (KOA) back in the early 90's while refueling Perry Nuclear. Had to be the coldest months of my life. Literally took the camper from the dealer threw all our stuff into it and drove to Ohio the next day. Talk about being unprepared.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
It’s 11,00lbs dry. We’ll add about 2,500lbs of liqids, stuff and toys. Ended up getting some new mirrors and Tim Dene for the truck to help it stability. The pin weight is about the same as our current trailer, just around 3,000lbs heavier.

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
OMG, help me. The down payment isn’t 5 hours old and my wife is already out getting new dish’s and crap for the trailer. Shoot me now....

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
OMG, LMAO. Your gonna need a bigger truck by the time she gets done!

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new RV as much as we are enjoying ours. It's funny reading camping season is around the corner as I sit here in Jetty Park Campground watching the cruise ships leave. We saw a B-2 flying over Cape Canaveral Air Force Station today while our kids were boogie boarding.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:

On a side note: don’t waste your time with Camping World. Once they figured out I knew more than they did they stopped communicating with me. .

I hate Camping World.
The prices are not even close to being the best.
Their sales staff are not very knowledgeable.
Ive not talked to anyone who was thrilled about their service dept. unless it got them back on the road during a trip.

Lots of good RV forums out there often focused on your type of RV / motorhome.

Anxious to see the new hacienda on wheels !

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6944 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your gonna need a bigger truck by the time she gets done!

He needed one before she started, but I digress. Lol, Good luck brother. Enjoy and be safe. Congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19765 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Will you be adding solar?

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Will you be adding solar?

Nothough it is pre wired for solar. We don’t do enough boondocking to justify it. We boondock typically twice a year in the print and have a Yamaha EF2800 generator to recharge the batteries.