SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Continual "replenish" and least amount of bleach is used over time.

On the bleach issue, if you can find a swimming pool supply store open, just buy some pool chlorine. Grains or small tabs. Same substance, just cheaper. No bleach or chlorine is good for human consumption, it'll kill you real dead. But for sanitizing, the pool stuff will work just as well.

Yep, the liquid chlorine alternative is to buy calcium hypochlorite. I bought some more this past Monday. I have a 1 lb bag, but it's probably 4 years old. I keep it stored in a sealed Nalgene bottle. I opened the bottle on Monday to see if it was still good. The chlorine smell about knocked me on my ass. I think a 1lb bag will disinfect approximately 10,000 gallons of water.

Mine will be delivered in a few days.

Here's an article from teh EPA about disinfecting drinking water. You use the calcium hypochlorite to make a bleach solution.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-wat...ction-drinking-water

Granular calcium hypochlorite. The first step is to make a chlorine solution that you will use to disinfect your water. For your safety, do it in a ventilated area and wear eye protection. Add one heaping teaspoon (approximately ¼ ounce) of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (HTH) to two gallons of water and stir until the particles have dissolved. The mixture will produce a chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter. To disinfect water, add one part of the chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water you are treating. This is about the same as adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of the chlorine solution to 12.5 gallons of water. If the chlorine taste is too strong, pour the water from one clean container to another and let it stand for a few hours before use.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
"I heard about the shortage, so I bought an extra thirty rolls" - Anonymous - 1973.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
yet the restaurant supply companies (Sysco, Cheney Bros) have tons of fresh meat and produce and no way to sell it as they're not set up or portioned for retail.

We have a Cheney Bros. distribution center nearby and I think you can walk in and order stuff on a cash and carry basis. I'm going to have to check that out.

And speaking of bleach from the pool store. I asked my pool store guys and they have been selling 2.5 gallon 10.8% jugs like crazy. One woman bought 6 of them. I have two 15,000 gallon pools and they use about 1 jug a week each.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The #2 Amendment: The Right to Bare and Wipe Ass, Shall not be Unhinged.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Bwahahahaaa. Well done. : D

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
You're the best, monkey.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm very concerned about a fire in my house. With all my ammo and tp hording the blaze would melt granite.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Good for Costco!

That might put a crimp in the greedy bastards who are hoarding.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Regarding hoarding:

I got a text from a friend in Florida this morning. She and her man had gone to Walmart for a moment and saw a woman on the distilled water aisle, crying. There was no distilled water to be found. She needed it for her daughter's IV setup.

A tiny part of me says, "I wish she'd had more on hand to begin with, even on the idea that something, sometime, would go funky." The much larger rest of me realizes that 1) I don't know this lady's whole story, and 2) people who frickin' grab up everything they can find "because I want it" probably have no idea that there are people out there who actually need it.

Tragedy and hardship bring out both the best and the worst of us.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it!" Wink

Great flick.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish she'd had more on hand to begin with, even on the idea that something, sometime, would go funky."

I believe distilled water has a shelf life of a month so she probably couldn’t stockpile.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
5 years.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have a small business, many of my customers are Ace Hardware stores.

I was in a bunch of stores day before yesterday, re-supplying them. The stores had a limit on the number of packages of masks that a customer could buy.

One enterprising shopper had her kid with her, the kid was maybe eight or ten years old. The mother bought the maximum supply and gave the kid some money and sent the kid to a different register to buy another maximum batch of masks.

I just told my wife to do exactly that. There's seven of us including my at risk parents. My wife tells me the stores are limiting other products as well; a dozen eggs per customer, two small packages of ground beef per customer, etc. At that rate, we'd have to go to the store everyday. We'll be bringing the kids to shop with us, but buying only what we need. For example, I bought one bag of dog food from the feed store. They had only two bags.

Update: One per household at Target. Foiled again.

Publix was doing 2 cases of water per person. I kind of see this as a bad thing too, some of the quantity limits are so low that people have to go grocery shopping much more often and create more risk of spreading and contracting the disease. But then there are the hoarders that will wipe out an entire shelf of something who screw it up for the normal people.

I went grocery shopping last Saturday, only thing I really needed was fresh vegetables, and the only 2 they were out of was carrots and cabbage and I was making corned beef for dinner so had to stop at Aldi for those.

The dynamics have shifted from a lot of meals being eaten at restaurants, to most meals being eaten at home. So now the grocery stores are way overwhelmed at least on meat and produce, yet the restaurant supply companies (Sysco, Cheney Bros) have tons of fresh meat and produce and no way to sell it as they're not set up or portioned for retail.

US Foods, another ginormous wholesaler, has a retail store in OKC named US Foods Chefs Store. It is extremely busy, there is no membership fee.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
I wish she'd had more on hand to begin with, even on the idea that something, sometime, would go funky."

I believe distilled water has a shelf life of a month so she probably couldn’t stockpile.

In extremis, couldn't one DIY one's own distilled water?

Not saying the poor lady at Walmart should try that for a medical situation - crap, in that situation I'd probably go to a medical provider and hope they had some.

I'm a Mech E with only a smattering of chemistry, so I'm probably wrong here, but isn't distilling water just a matter of boiling water and having its steam condense where it can drip into a clean container?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
Back in the Old days folks used newspapers and Sears & Roebuck catalogs for cleaning up the canyons. Problem today is Sears is gone and the Newspapers are
already filled with crap. Big Grin

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Hoarding in general -- I stopped in a Publix store today to pick up a few things.

There was a sign stating that there would be NO refunds, and customers were advised to buy no more of any product than they actually need.

It did state that this did not apply to products that had a quality problem, normal Publix protocol would apply to this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Hoarding in general -- I stopped in a Publix store today to pick up a few things.

There was a sign stating that there would be NO refunds, and customers were advised to buy no more of any product than they actually need.

It did state that this did not apply to products that had a quality problem, normal Publix protocol would apply to this.

I was at Publix a week ago, they had a sign on the water cases saying only 2 per person.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Scored two four packs today. Wife and I drove together and parked next to a big truck. I got in line first. My wife got in line two minutes later. She was whispering in the car. I had Mission Impossible music in my head.

I think we might have been followed out of the parking lot, but I shook our tail pretty quick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post