SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
We have 3 bathrooms and my wife insists on cheap TP. We buy 10 packs. Right before this came out we bought 3 10 packs, one for each bathroom. I'm glad we did, none to be had locally. If this keeps up I'm going to order a bidet attachment from Amazon. Wash 'n' go, or is it go 'n' wash? Both, I guess.

You still need a small amount of TP to dry yourself but you will use a lot less.

I think some people are buying TP and water just to make themselves feel like they are doing something to be prepared and it doesn't cost much.

I had to go to Sam's Club to get paper towels because we are on our last roll. They were out of regular paper towels, so I bought a case of C-fold paper towels. The line to check out was all the way to the back of the store. I just scanned the items on the Sam's Club app and walked out.

Posts: 3228 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stopped in at my local mom-and-pop hardware store tonight to pick up some wood putty and sandpaper.

There has to be a joke in there somewhere about the national toilet paper shortage. Eek

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I suggested to my wife we can get two uses out of each sheet if you turn it over. My wife said she gets to use each sheet first. Big Grin

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been saving every roll of toilet paper from MREs for over 25 years, going back to my Reserves time.
I knew the day might come it would be needed. I forget which one of us here said it, but when you are prepared, you do not panic.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My wife and I really like the not-from-concentrate orange juice at Aldi. We go through a couple of bottles a week. Very tasty, lowest cost.

I stopped in to grab a couple of bottles yesterday, and walked through the store. Bare shelves where the TP used to be. A couple of lonely boxes of tissue.

Cashier at the register had a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer that she used after every customer. I asked her where that was stocked, she said there was no more, but offered a shot for my hands.
I don't understand this logic. Why wouldn't a cashier simply wear throwaway surgical gloves, like sub shops use.....they're cheap.
Another brilliant suggestion from our boy jimmy!

Do you actually think before you post?

If the cashier keeps the same pair of gloves on, an infected person's purchases can contaminate the gloves and the virus might then be passed on to subsequent customers.

Aldi cashiers are rated on how fast they process the check-outs. What's faster, and more economical? A change of gloves for each customer, or a quick shot of hand sanitizer?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Chortle.

Chortle, chortle.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
My wife and I really like the not-from-concentrate orange juice at Aldi. We go through a couple of bottles a week. Very tasty, lowest cost.

I stopped in to grab a couple of bottles yesterday, and walked through the store. Bare shelves where the TP used to be. A couple of lonely boxes of tissue.

Cashier at the register had a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer that she used after every customer. I asked her where that was stocked, she said there was no more, but offered a shot for my hands.
I don't understand this logic. Why wouldn't a cashier simply wear throwaway surgical gloves, like sub shops use.....they're cheap.

If the cashier keeps the same pair of gloves on, an infected person's purchases can contaminate the gloves and the virus might then be passed on to subsequent customers.

Aldi cashiers are rated on how fast they process the check-outs. What's faster, and more economical? A change of gloves for each customer, or a quick shot of hand sanitizer?

I don't really care if putting gloves on slows an Aldi cashier down. So you understood that I said a change of gloves for each customer.

Do you have any idea how many people have already touched the stuff in the store before you? The average is 6 people have touched anything in a supermarket before you have. On fruit the average is much higher.

That being said, have you seen the gloves Subway uses, they go on and off in a second and are super cheap and 100% at not transferring to the cashier, food, or customer and Subway changes them with every customer. Hand sterilizer while it helps, is not 100% at killing virus' and while the odds are higher of sterilizing for germs than hand washing. Gloves are 100% and the type without cuffs like subway uses are just as fast as hand sanitizer.

But, according to the CDC:

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs."

"However, hands may become very greasy or soiled in community settings, such as after people handle food, play sports, work in the garden, or go camping or fishing. When hands are heavily soiled or greasy, hand sanitizers may not work well 3,7,16. Handwashing with soap and water is recommended in such circumstances."

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashin...-hand-sanitizer.html

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer does not kill C. difficile.
Clostridium difficile or “C.diff” is a common healthcare-associated infection that causes severe diarrhea. If you have a C. difficile infection, make sure your healthcare providers wear gloves to examine you. You and your loved ones should wash your hands with soap and water to prevent the spread of C. difficile.

https://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/patients/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Stopped at Walgreens on the way home after work. For a snack, I'm good for TP.

This particular location, in the outskirts of suburbia may have one other person shopping at 12:30 AM. Usually. As I pull in the lot, there were six or seven cars (other than the typical three for employees) either leaving or with people loading things. Shopping carts everywhere, some clearly abandoned in place next to where their car was parked.

Got some jerky and a drink. And some Progresso soup, cause, well, three large cans for $4. Not a roll of TP to be found. Checking out, I said "Midnight TP run?". The manager, standing behind the cashier (with a frazzled look on his face, next to another employee) replied "Yeah. Next shipment won't me in until next Thursday".

I've read about runs on goods during hurricane season, but this is Wisconsin.

Unreal to witness this.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three grocery stores were sold out , so my brother gave up and ran to Lowe's for some other stuff,
there , right at the front door was 4 pallet's of T.P.

at Lowe's ! Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54487 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Check Dollar General. There’s more stores than people.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Been saving every roll of toilet paper from MREs for over 25 years, going back to my Reserves time.
I knew the day might come it would be needed. I forget which one of us here said it, but when you are prepared, you do not panic.

So you got that good chiklet gum?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always shopped at 5am on weekends. I'm usually one of 3 people in the store shopping then. Today it was busy and people had packed shopping karts.

Everybody was buying food etc. 1 guy had a kart stacked with TP. Only TP. Without food the TP is useless.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Another reason why I'm glad we have bidets in my house.

TP is not the only thing flying off the shelves. My daughter sent this from a WalMart in Michigan....

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, tried to go to Winco but it like the night before Thanksgiving so I turned around and went to Safeway which was pretty busy - about a third of people had toilet paper in their carts...I thought the TP hoarding was meme but am now realizing, people are out of their minds!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What types of areas are these? Metro areas dominated by panicky liberals? Or also Conservative rural areas (for contrast)?

I don’t go to Walmart and such. But haven’t seen this behavior at local supermarkets and Costco. Is this the new rule or exception?

I have 2-3 weeks worth of food (maybe a little more than typical). And I bought a life straw. Should I be feeling woefully under stocked?

Out of curiosity, I’ll venture to a local Walmart today.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
just insane. Fuck these people. (referring to pic above)

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
1 guy had a kart stacked with TP. Only TP. Without food the TP is useless.
Maybe his wife / kids were getting the food?

Divide and conquer? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the way back from the gym this morning I stopped at the Food Lion in North Durham for some coffee creamer, chicken and biscuits.

It was insane. It is not only TP but chicken, meat, the frozen food coolers are almost empty etc.

Almost every single person had overflowing carts of groceries from chicken,steaks, tv dinners, frozen pizzas and TUBS of ice cream.

I am supposed to report to Bismarck ND at the end of this month, I wonder if it is just as bad there.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post