SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we have a member reading this thread who is approaching the "TP situation critical" point post here and I'll do what I can to help.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you. I am good right now.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious what other members consider to be the threshold for "running low?" Like many I'm sure, when word first hit of panic buying and hoarding of TP, my first reaction was to laugh, roll my eyes, and curse the idiots. But the second was to take an inventory of the stock at home. At the time, about three weeks ago, we had 28 rolls to service a family of four. Three weeks later, I think we are down to about 24. So no panic here. Yet. But when should I reconsider?

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Usually when we get down to the last 6-pack we will get another case from Costco.

When the whole "toilet paper panic" started we were actually due to buy a case. When we got to Costco they were out. I thought it was just an internet joke about the run on TP so I was actually surprised to see the whole aisle empty, it was all Bounty paper towels.

We got home and I checked Amazon, they had the Cottonelle Ultra that had been using before we joined Costco. I ordered a case and that was the last I had seen of TP until today. I had today off so I made a run to Tractor Supply for some twine and stopped at Costco for some other regular scheduled items. Surprised to see they had the TP, I grabbed a case even thought we are still sitting on about 2-1/2 6-packs of the Cottonelle. We should be good until about July now. There is 4 of us in the house.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
At the time, about three weeks ago, we had 28 rolls to service a family of four. Three weeks later, I think we are down to about 24.

First off, how do you get a family of four to only use 2 rolls of tp in 3 weeks? Eek I live in a house with 3 girls so they go through 2 rolls every other day it seems.
I passed out 8 packs to my guys here at work from our communal stash and still have enough for 3 more weeks at current use rates assuming no more gets purchased.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
At the time, about three weeks ago, we had 28 rolls to service a family of four. Three weeks later, I think we are down to about 24.

First off, how do you get a family of four to only use 2 rolls of tp in 3 weeks?

I believe 28 – 24 = 4, not 2 ( Wink ), but I nevertheless had the same question.
In my household of two a “Mega” roll lasts about five days, something I discovered after deciding I should know how much of a supply we had left.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m curious too how your family uses so little. I’m lucky enough that I can order from our work supplier and get the same pricing. $55 and change for a case of 80 rolls. Think we are good until December. May not be the softest but at least it’s 2 ply. Razz

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Went to Costco today everyone had Charmin in their carts asked the lady guarding the water and playing traffic cop where it was in the store. They said they ran out five minutes ago. Oh well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, Costco will open at 8am for seniors over the next three days. Call them at 7 and ask if they have any, or any in transit. TP has lasted through senior hours at my location, provided there is a fresh shipment that morning.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
V-Tail, Costco will open at 8am for seniors over the next three days. Call them at 7 and ask if they have any, or any in transit. TP has lasted through senior hours at my location, provided there is a fresh shipment that morning.
I have been there for Geezer shopping twice now. Both times, I stood in line, worked my way towards the entrance door, and when I was within three or four slots from going in they announced that they had just run out.

Geezer hours are 6:00 am on Tuesday at Walmart, 7:00 am on Tuesday and Wednesday at Publix, and 8:00 am Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at Costco. We're not critical yet, I'll just keep showing up at the stores and sooner or later I should find some.

Or maybe not.

We went through this once before, in the late 1970s, when I was working in Barcelona. The cause of the shortage then, was a strike. The Spanish / French border is just about an hour of fast driving from Barcelona, so my wife and I made a weekend of it in Perpignan and returned to Barcelona with a trunk full, that we shared with our co-workers. There was no shortage in France; they were not affected by the Spanish labor unions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
V, if you are running super low, try the restaurant supply stores I mentioned before, they are hurting for business and no one wants the hotel/restaurant stuff. It's not soft or plush, but it will get the job done in a pinch.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to make sense why fucking idiots, that's what they really are, are hoarding TP. It's wife, 4 year old and myself, the two of them use TP pretty quick.

V-Tail,

I don't even bother with Costco or Sam's anymore for TP. I've had luck at Publix last couple of times going on a weekend morning.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
I’m curious too how your family uses so little.

For starters, we don't yank 10 feet off the roll to wipe our asses. Plus my wife only shits about once a week. Big Grin

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

First off, how do you get a family of four to only use 2 rolls of tp in 3 weeks? Eek I live in a house with 3 girls so they go through 2 rolls every other day it seems.

No shit (how do they do it), even though it's 4 rolls.

Damn, ^^^ there's the answer... they don't shit!! Big Grin

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
On March 14th, 'Panic Day' as I'm referring to it, my wife went shopping to stock up for the 'big pandemic', and EVERYONE had the same idea. I told her to be AT THE STORE at 7:00 AM when they opened, sooo she left the house at 7:45! Roll Eyes

I took inventory that later that day and we had 15 undeployed rolls of toilet paper. We seem to use about two 'MEGA'rolls/week, so not an emergency.

There was ZERO paper products at the store that day, and pretty much the same situation everywhere since then, until Good Friday! We were down to six rolls at that point, still not an emergency, but I'd like to back fill my inventory if I can, just in case! Wink

I went to BJ's that day hoping to pickup a couple of things, and figured I try my luck at paper products. The nice lady near the entrance asked if I wanted a wipe for the handle of my cart (which I gladly took) and she then commented, "We have paper products if you need any", to which I replied, "Do you have the good stuff?" "Yes sir!" she replied. So off I went, with a definite sense of purpose, but not wanting to get my hopes up just in case I was too late. I drifted my cart a bit as I made the turn, and I couldn't believe my eyes...

I was ecstatic, and somewhat relieved. It was as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I could now relax a little bit.

And, I got paper towels too! Razz

It's funny how little things, make a big difference. Later that day, I saw that the supermarket also had Charmin in stock, so it seems things are starting to get a little bit more normal around here! Cool

Hopefully 'The Good Stuff' will be coming to a store near you soon as well!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Who photoshopped those pictures? Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got sent home from work yesterday. Viral sinusitis. I will say, I'm glad right now that I had a good supply of toilet paper in stock before the thundering herds panicked.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
quote:

First off, how do you get a family of four to only use 2 rolls of tp in 3 weeks?

I believe 28 – 24 = 4, not 2 ( Wink ), but I nevertheless had the same question.
In my household of two a “Mega” roll lasts about five days, something I discovered after deciding I should know how much of a supply we had left.

Bad eyes looking at a little phone screen. Thought it said 26. Smile

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Man it's harder to find toilet paper here than cheap gas.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Scored yesterday at Costco. They had 30 roll Charmin TP (the good shit!) and the big package of Bounty PT.

Still no hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol anywhere but I have sanitizer as I overpaid for some rootsy tootsy version from a cosmetics company.

I can wipe my ass in piece and enjoy my shits for 6 weeks now. No more hunting for shit paper or PT's to "sanitize" my kitchen.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
Here in Orange County, California, TP supplies are slowly getting back in. You do have to get up early though.

Target opens at 8, so I had to get there before then, wait in line, then go in. They had a separate line for "essentials" meaning TP, Paper Towel, Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Proxide, small hand sanitizers, Kleenex, anti-bacterial wipes. Single line, one package per customer.

Amusingly, the choices for TP were: single roll package, 18 roll mega package, or 36 roll mega package. Initially the single roll package were untouched in favor of the larger packs. But after about 45 minutes, the single roll packs were also gone.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post