SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The plot thickens as a secret army of Glockers plots to overthrow SIG and risk slander lawsuits simply to get YouTube income.

And don't forget the 15 minutes of fame.

To be fair, you also must include the super secret plot to conceal the 320 not being drop safe for all these years but it has been hidden in a hermetically sealed jar in Ron Cohen's back yard.
Correct.

But Ron can easily prove this all wrong, or maybe he's too busy with Styers patent lawsuit negotiations to notice? Or waiting on the overdue Romeo shipment from China? Or waiting on the next shipment of ammo from SIG's premier ammunition facility.

He's a busy man - but to be fair SIG did put it in the users manual. Wink

"Heavy or Repeated Drops" caveat, and all.

https://www.sigsauer.com/wp-co...9-01REV01_proof2.pdf

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RX-79G:
I would like to see someone trying to duplicate the trigger guard down "hoax video" test. There may be more than one unfortunate way to skin this cat.

Do you really think a drop-fire results in a sound, a subsequent flash, and even later a trigger movement?

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of P320s out there just waiting to be drop tested...

Or maybe another case of the "severe manipulation" caveat?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4700021824

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
The plot thickens as a secret army of Glockers plots to overthrow SIG and risk slander lawsuits simply to get YouTube income.

To be fair, you also must include the super secret plot to conceal the 320 not being drop safe for all these years but it has been hidden in a hermetically sealed jar in Ron Cohen's back yard.
Correct.

But Ron can easily prove this all wrong, or maybe he's too busy with Styers patent lawsuit negotiations to notice? Or waiting on the overdue Romeo shipment from China? Or waiting on the next shipment of ammo from SIG's premier ammunition facility.

He MIM'd the jar. That is the issue, isn't it?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct.

He MIM'd the jar. That is the issue, isn't it?
Maybe, as part of SIGs new "UBERSUPERDOUBLESECRET" mission, the P320 is designed to replicate the HiPoint, you know for those secret missions where you need to drop your gun for it to fire?

I know its against OPSEC, but that requirement is real as heck. Similar to the 556R requirement for SOF to use 762x39 from a superior platform.

Big Grin

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe, as part of SIGs new "UBERSUPERDOUBLESECRET" mission, the P320 is designed to replicate the HiPoint, you know for those secret missions where you need to drop your gun for it to fire?

I know its against OPSEC, but that requirement is real as heck. Similar to the 556R requirement for SOF to use 762x39 from a superior platform.

Big Grin

You left out the part where you can only use MOBIL 1 for lube and you have to buy it by the gallon. Cause buying repackaged crisco is so for losers.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Tuohy:

At no time did I throw the pistol. Here is a more complete video of that particular drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XW9PpGwZKE

Thanks for posting that Andrew, and also sticking your neck out in the first place.

Would you mind telling us when you first tried this drop test and got an AD doing it?

I first tried it last Wednesday night. I dropped the X5 several times, not on camera, and it did not fire. Thursday morning the P320 TACO PLS 9mm and the black 45 were dropped, both fired as soon as they fell at that angle, which was within a very short time of commencing the test that morning. Friday afternoon the FDE 45 was tested and it fired as well.

Posts: 2 | Registered: August 07, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Honestly at this point all I want to know is if J Jones and Bruce Gray have attempted the drop test, what results have found, and what they think will happen.

For me, these are the two voices I will trust.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
Honestly at this point all I want to know is if J Jones and Bruce Gray have attempted the drop test, what results have found, and what they think will happen.

For me, these are the two voices I will trust.

Thanks man. I have not, but Bruce has done quite a bit of drop testing on various projects. The 320 wasn't really my thing. When I compete with a striker fired gun, it is usually an 2.0. More often than not, I shoot DA/SA guns and that has always been my realm.

Will this internet drama cause me to not pick up a 320 should I want to shoot one? Nope. It is the same gun that it was yesterday before the hubbub. Like I said earlier, hysteria does an amazing job at spreading on the 'net.

I'm sure Bruce will pop back up in this thread at some point.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Lawsuit filed in CT, after SRT officer shot with his dropped 320:

http://www.ctlawtribune.com/to...615402746&curindex=1

Here is the lawsuit, if you don't want to sign up:

https://drive.google.com/file/...N3l1SHkwQ243TWs/view

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't recall the sound problem, but I could see the trigger moving after the sear released if the release wasn't caused by the movement of the trigger.

But I do think there is something to be learned by from examining other non-ANSI drop angles. Don't you?

There is value in testing that can be replicated by other parties, which is why published testing protocols are valuable.

The people at Omaha Outdoors seem to have done a good job of describing their testing process. Any other tests done with similar rigor would also be valuable. However, people randomly tossing guns around to see if they would fire would not be particularly valuable.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks man. I have not, but Bruce has done quite a bit of drop testing on various projects. The 320 wasn't really my thing. When I compete with a striker fired gun, it is usually an 2.0. More often than not, I shoot DA/SA guns and that has always been my realm.

Will this internet drama cause me to not pick up a 320 should I want to shoot one? Nope. It is the same gun that it was yesterday before the hubbub. Like I said earlier, hysteria does an amazing job at spreading on the 'net.

I'm sure Bruce will pop back up in this thread at some point.

Thank you for posting this. I appreciate your time with this. Looking forward to hearing from Bruce.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well here is another log to throw on the fire. I would think the Stanford PD did an investigation to rule out an ND, but who knows...
CT cop files lawsuit against Sig when dropped 320 fires into his knee

Greg Land, The Connecticut Law Tribune
August 7, 2017

A Stamford police officer has sued gunmaker Sig Sauer over injuries he suffered when his holstered P320 pistol discharged and hit him in the leg after he dropped it in a parking lot.

According to the complaint filed Aug. 4 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, officer Vincent Sheperis dropped his holstered department-issued handgun while loading equipment into the back of his car in January. The gun fired when it hit the pavement, and the bullet entered beneath his left knee and lodged to the side "with the round protruding from his leg."

Sheperis, a 34-year-old member of the department's Special Response Team, underwent multiple surgeries and is back on light duty, although more surgeries may be required, according to his attorney, Jeffrey Bagnell of Westport.

Sheperis is seeking at least $6 million in punitive and compensatory damages, and is demanding Sig Sauer recall the pistol or include a warning that the gun is not "drop safe" when a round is chambered.

"For it to just go off—it's kind of horrifying, really," Bagnell said.

The Stamford Police Department said it's shelved all P320s it issued to its officers because of the incident.

The suit comes amid ongoing reports that the P320 is prone to accidental discharge when dropped. The Dallas Police Department in Texas suspended use of the P320 due to safety concerns, according to a spokeswoman there.

"We have not currently had any issues with the Sig Sauer P320 handgun," according to a statement provided by public information officer Melinda Gutierrez. "The use of the Sig Sauer P320 handgun has been temporarily suspended due to safety precautions. The departmental Firearms Training Center staff is currently working with Sig Sauer to ensure the safety precautions are addressed."

Sheperis' complaint includes a litany of incidents in which law enforcement officers' Sig Sauer handguns allegedly went off without the trigger being pulled when dropped or being handled.

There was no immediate response to a message left for Sig Sauer's media representative or the attorney handling the matter for the gunmaker, Robert Joyce of Littleton Joyce Ughetta Park & Kelly in Purchase, New York.

In an Aug. 4 statement, Sig Sauer said it has "full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been 0 reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date."

"All Sig Sauer pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed," the statement said. "However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed."

Sheperis' complaint includes counts for violation of the Connecticut Products Liability Act and Unfair Trade Practice Act, and for negligent infliction of emotional distress.

The complaint notes Sig Sauer's marketing materials say its safety mechanism prevents the gun from discharging "unless the trigger is pulled."

But the manual states the P320 "may fire without the trigger being pulled if the chamber is not empty. It is, however, standard operating procedure for all U.S. law enforcement agencies, local police departments, and the military to carry pistols with a chambered round," the complaint adds.

Bagnell said there were pre-suit discussions regarding a settlement, "but they did not result in a resolution."

Sig, Colt M-16/M-4/1911 and Glock Armorer.
I love my P229, but if I had to go to a war, I would take my Glock...

Posts: 575 | Location: LI, NY | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrew, thanks for dropping in. In my mind, it helps validate the video as well. Very well made video btw.

The 320 has been around for a while so why all of a sudden? When it rains it pours I suppose.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYresq:
Well here is another log to throw on the fire. I would think the Stanford PD did an investigation to rule out an ND, but who knows...
CT cop files lawsuit against Sig when dropped 320 fires into his knee

Greg Land, The Connecticut Law Tribune
August 7, 2017

A Stamford police officer has sued gunmaker Sig Sauer over injuries he suffered when his holstered P320 pistol discharged and hit him in the leg after he dropped it in a parking lot.

According to the complaint filed Aug. 4 in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, officer Vincent Sheperis dropped his holstered department-issued handgun while loading equipment into the back of his car in January. The gun fired when it hit the pavement, and the bullet entered beneath his left knee and lodged to the side "with the round protruding from his leg."

Sheperis, a 34-year-old member of the department's Special Response Team, underwent multiple surgeries and is back on light duty, although more surgeries may be required, according to his attorney, Jeffrey Bagnell of Westport.

Sheperis is seeking at least $6 million in punitive and compensatory damages, and is demanding Sig Sauer recall the pistol or include a warning that the gun is not "drop safe" when a round is chambered.

"For it to just go off—it's kind of horrifying, really," Bagnell said.

The Stamford Police Department said it's shelved all P320s it issued to its officers because of the incident.

The suit comes amid ongoing reports that the P320 is prone to accidental discharge when dropped. The Dallas Police Department in Texas suspended use of the P320 due to safety concerns, according to a spokeswoman there.

"We have not currently had any issues with the Sig Sauer P320 handgun," according to a statement provided by public information officer Melinda Gutierrez. "The use of the Sig Sauer P320 handgun has been temporarily suspended due to safety precautions. The departmental Firearms Training Center staff is currently working with Sig Sauer to ensure the safety precautions are addressed."

Sheperis' complaint includes a litany of incidents in which law enforcement officers' Sig Sauer handguns allegedly went off without the trigger being pulled when dropped or being handled.

There was no immediate response to a message left for Sig Sauer's media representative or the attorney handling the matter for the gunmaker, Robert Joyce of Littleton Joyce Ughetta Park & Kelly in Purchase, New York.

In an Aug. 4 statement, Sig Sauer said it has "full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been 0 reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date."

"All Sig Sauer pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed," the statement said. "However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed."

Sheperis' complaint includes counts for violation of the Connecticut Products Liability Act and Unfair Trade Practice Act, and for negligent infliction of emotional distress.

The complaint notes Sig Sauer's marketing materials say its safety mechanism prevents the gun from discharging "unless the trigger is pulled."

But the manual states the P320 "may fire without the trigger being pulled if the chamber is not empty. It is, however, standard operating procedure for all U.S. law enforcement agencies, local police departments, and the military to carry pistols with a chambered round," the complaint adds.

Bagnell said there were pre-suit discussions regarding a settlement, "but they did not result in a resolution."
DAMN....

Another one of the secret GLOCKER Army intent on discrediting the ALLTHATISHOLYSIGP320-UBERPISTOLEN.

SO dedicated in fact that he shot himself with said P320-pistolen, due to his undying love for the GLOCKEN-WEAPON17, second only to the UBER-RARE Glock7, Porcelain.

Even trying to get some money out of it... that is one serious troller.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
when his holstered P320 pistol discharged and hit him in the leg after he dropped it in a parking lot.

Who wrote this shit? How does a cop drop a holstered pistol? Maybe he dropped his pants, when he had to take a dump? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:

I guess that is one way to hit the lottery, but he may never be walking right again. Sig better get a handle on this real quick.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it should be "random" at all - it sounds like SIG and Bruce Gray have done that.

Your assumption seems somewhat presumptuous unless you have seem a description of the testing procedures used by SIG and/or Bruce Gray.

quote:
I think all the specific 10° increments that haven't been checked should be. Omaha found this drop fire angle randomly, and someone should go looking more deliberately at this point.

That would be a lot of testing. I believe some of the standard testing protocols involve dropping guns in 6 different attitudes. You only want testing at 36 different angles in each of how many different axes?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_yl...khN_N1xjUAK6W5zlLLM-

I guess that is one way to hit the lottery, but he may never be walking right again. Sig better get a handle on this real quick.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Andrew, thanks for dropping in. In my mind, it helps validate the video as well. Very well made video btw.

The 320 has been around for a while so why all of a sudden? When it rains it pours I suppose.

Yes, Andrew, we appreciate you.

I think that even though the 320 has been around for three or so years (a relatively short time period for a firearm), this all of a sudden "coincidence" comes from speculation that the firearm wasn't totally drop safe with the supposed bogus video of the 320 firing when dropped on the rail and mag plate, have you seen that video?
That got people all up in arms about the gun not being drop safe, even if it wasn't legitimate. That lead to people making a big hoopla at Dallas PD about the gun, even if only because of a CYA page in tbe manual. Which got more people testing before the Dallas PD thing blew over. And as it turns out, there may just be a problem after all.

So, basically one video lead to a lot of testing, by everyone from gun magazines and dealers, to me trying it at home, and people got results that were consistent.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post