SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have owned and carried several Glocks, of which I have kept my G43. I fully appreciate what they are - a cheap but reliable tool, that I can't really warm up to. I carry my G43 when riding the harley because I trust it as a tool, but wouldn't shed a tear if I watched go bouncing down the freeway.

Posts: 53 | Location: Montana | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Lou:
but wouldn't shed a tear if I watched go bouncing down the freeway.

Roll Eyes

Firearms shouldnt be looked at as disposable tools.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spotted several used G19s today at the LGS/range, and three new ones. Rented the G23 again, this time it was clearly a Gen. 4. Not as snappy
as an earlier encounter; and I spent some time just handling it. Something about it just seemed right in every way.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a G34 MOS in a trade a few days ago. This makes Glock number 3 for me

Posts: 253 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: March 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Sig ...
IMG_0620 Smoking Gun-1 Size 1280 by Jerry R, on Flickr

My Glock ...
IMG_0853 G21 with Poseidon by Jerry R, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

Posts: 70 | Location: Central Florida - Gulf Side | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turns out the title of this thread is correct. After 20 plus years of fervent kool-aid avoidance, I've finally gone and done it. I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket from the sale of a Colt Trooper I scored cheap at a gun show, so I flipped it and turned the profit into a used police trade in Glock 21. Have not shot it yet, but hopefully I will like it better than the only other tupperware pistol I've owned, which was a HK USP 45.

Hope to find out this week what all the fuss is about.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Hope to find out this week what all the fuss is about.

Will be

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
so I flipped it and turned the profit into a used police trade in Glock 21.

I think you'll like the 21.
My 21 spawned interest in the 41 which is now one of my favorite Glocks.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting gun. Coming from 1911s and SIGs, the trigger and manual of arms will take some getting used to, but the simplicity of the design is intriguing.

It was funny that my wife, who is not even remotely a gun person but is used to me fondling new acquisitions, asked, "Why is it so square and ugly?" Big Grin

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Well, my search for a truck gun ended Sunday at a local show.
It is exactly what I wanted.
Paid $350 out the door, no tax.
But bought from an FFL so I filled out a 4473, which is OK for a carry gun.

A full sized beater that I can keep in the console vault of my pickup.
Also in a caliber that could easily be handed to the wife if needed.

Gen 2 G17, dated 5/90.
This is the first time in 22 years of handgun ownership I've owned 2 of the same handgun.
My other is more of a collector's item (to me).
Here she is....

It has a lot of character..

Replaced the sights with Trijicon HDs off my G33.
Thinking about letting the G33 go.

One of the dirtiest guns I've ever cleaned.

Also the metal piece of the stock rear sight was stuck to the slide.
A little oil and punch took it out.

It has the old style trigger spring and black internals.

Question to my Glock friends;
I ran 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rds of JHP without issue.
Not one malfunction of any kind.
Should I change the trigger spring out?
I'm totally happy with the gun and the trigger the way it is..

I almost bought a Vicker's slide stop, but decided to keep this gun entirely stock, except for the sights.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^Very nice truck gun. Similar scenario, I picked up a well used (but not abused) Gen 2 19 a few weeks ago. A few dings and scratches, and a previous owner took the liberty of bending the slide release out like an extended release, but the internals are fantastic and it has no problems grouping well out to 20 yards. It will certainly fill the role as a duty gun that can take a beating. Replacing the guide rod and adding a threaded barrel are about the only changes I have planned for it.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot my new to me Gen 2 Glock 21 today, first time ever shooting a Glock of any caliber, and I was impressed. It didn't rock my world like the first time I shot my SIG P220, but it was soft shooting, very accurate, and easy to put rounds on target. I shot more good consistent groups than I usually can with my 1911s and the trigger was much better than I expected and magnitudes better than the trigger on the HK USP I had and sold a few years ago, which sucked. I put about 100 rounds through it with one FTF: a 3-point stoppage in the middle of the first mag, which could have been ammo related (185r SWC reloads). Otherwise ran flawlessly with a mix of SWCs and 200 and 230gr ball.

I won't be selling off my SIGs or 1911s, but I'm glad to finally have added one of these wonder guns to my arsenal.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Im pretty sure if it still has the black internals, it is due for the 6 part "upgrade" from Glock.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:

Since you swapped in sights from your G33, you might need to take the G21 to the range and verify POI. The 9/40/357 Glocks tend to use taller front sights than the 45/10mm Glocks. The HD front sight off your G33 might be too tall for the G21, so your shots may impact low as a result.

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Im pretty sure if it still has the black internals, it is due for the 6 part "upgrade" from Glock.

Yes, most likely.

If the serial number prefix on the Gen 2 G21 is AA through XM, it potentially needs the 6 part upgrade (if it hasn't been done yet). If it's XN or later, you're good to go.

If your G21 has the earlier serial prefix, take off the slide and look at the shape of the upper protrusion of the trigger bar that contacts the firing pin safety. If this protrusion is mostly flat on top, it has not been upgraded.

If the trigger bar is silver/gray and the firing pin safety contact portion comes to a rounded point, it has already been upgraded.

Another way to tell is to remove the firing pin from the slide, since those differences are even more obvious.

If the 6 part upgrade is needed, you can contact Glock and send it back to the factory. The upgrade is free. Or you can find a local Glock armorer to do the upgrade for you. The upgrade involves replacing the following 6 parts with updated parts:

Extractor
Extractor spring bearing
Firing pin safety plunger
Firing pin safety spring
Firing pin
Trigger bar

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Good thing he put them on a 17 then.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Since you swapped in sights from your G33, you might need to take the G21 to the range and verify POI. The 9/40/357 Glocks tend to use taller front sights than the 45/10mm Glocks. The HD front sight off your G33 might be too tall for the G21, so your shots may impact low as a result.

I didn't acquire a G21, hence the 9X19 on the slide..

I'm fully aware of the different sight heights..

Thanks for paying attention.. Eek

I appreciate the upgrade parts list for a Gen 2.
I'll buy them on my own and replace the parts before I pay shipping fees to send a handgun to Georgia..
But I'm trying to find a reason to 'upgrade' these parts at all.
The gun runs fine.
I've always felt, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
Good thing he put them on a 17 then.

Nice to know someone is keeping up.. Cool

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah. I got 1lowlife's and bigwagon's posts about Gen 2 Glocks confused.

Bigwagon's the one with a Gen 2 G21.

quote:

Thanks for being so courteous, when someone makes a simple mistake.

quote:
The gun runs fine.

Glock termed it an "upgrade" for PR reasons, but it's more of a "safety recall", albeit a voluntary one. Early Glocks without the "upgrade" can slam-fire and/or accidentally fire if dropped, since the firing pin safety system isn't as robust.

Also, the older style parts are incompatible with the newer style parts. So if you ever need to replace a chipped extractor, or want to put in an aftermarket trigger (that uses the newer trigger bar), you'll need to do the full 6 part upgrade at that time anyway.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah. I got 1lowlife's and bigwagon's posts about Gen 2 Glocks confused.

Bigwagon's the one with a Gen 2 G21.

quote:

Thanks for being so courteous, when someone makes a simple mistake.

You are more than welcome, I guess 13 pictures wasn't enough.
Lighten up, as long as you've been here you should be able to take a little ribbing.. Roll Eyes

quote:
The gun runs fine.

quote:
Glock termed it an "upgrade" for PR reasons, but it's more of a "safety recall", albeit a voluntary one. Early Glocks without the "upgrade" can slam-fire and/or accidentally fire if dropped, since the firing pin safety system isn't as robust.

Also, the older style parts are incompatible with the newer style parts. So if you ever need to replace a chipped extractor, or want to put in an aftermarket trigger (that uses the newer trigger bar), you'll need to do the full 6 part upgrade at that time anyway.

Thank you for your input.
I think I'll leave it be.
If I end up needing to replace anything, I'll so it all at one time..

posted Hide Post
Bigwagon checking in to add to or subtract from the confusion: my Gen 2 G21 already has the upgraded parts.

Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Uh oh.....
After educating myself on the upgrade and exactly what parts it consists of, I've made a grave discovery/mistake this morning.

Pulled the slides of both my Gen 2 G17 and Gen 2 G21.
I know my G21 does indeed have the older black parts.
After comparing the Gen 2 G17 trigger bar to my Gen 2 G21 trigger bar, I see the difference.

I took the G17 slide apart and did find the new extractor, firing pin, firing pin safety and spring, and spring loaded bearing.
Much easier to do when you have pics of the old and new parts.

My Gen 2 G17 already has the upgrade. Roll Eyes
When I saw the black connector and the old trigger spring, I assumed someone polished the trigger bar.
We all know what assume means... Wink

Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.
Wasn't so much I wasn't paying attention, I just didn't know what I was doing.
But I have no problem admitting my faults. Big Grin

Good day gentlemen..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,