SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The gov is holding clinical trial on how to convince citizens to get the covid vaccine when it comes available.

Link

Sponsor:
Yale University
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Yale University

Study Details
Tabular View
No Results Posted
Disclaimer
How to Read a Study Record

Study Description
Go to
Brief Summary:

This study tests different messages about vaccinating against COVID-19 once the vaccine becomes available. Participants are randomized to 1 of 12 arms, with one control arm and one baseline arm. We will compare the reported willingness to get a COVID-19 vaccine at 3 and 6 months of it becoming available between the 10 intervention arms to the 2 control arms.

Study participants are recruited online by Lucid, which matches census based sampling in online recruitment.

Condition or disease Intervention/treatment
Vaccination COVID-19
Other: Control message
Other: Baseline message
Other: Personal freedom message
Other: Economic freedom message
Other: Self-interest message
Other: Community interest message
Other: Economic benefit message
Other: Guilt message
Other: Embarrassment message
Other: Anger message
Other: Trust in science message
Other: Not bravery message

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If anyone is confused about their workplace rules regarding COVID, just keep in mind that these rules are about not getting sued later. Logic matters not. Anyone who owns a business wants to stay as far away from a suit as possible.

That leads to silly stuff when it comes to rules. .gov really needs to pass some legislation to protect businesses who are trying to stay afloat and trying to keep paychecks in peoples' pockets all while terrified of being ambulance chased later.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

Where do I buy this?

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Sharing the current state of c19 and living in the state of Victoria, in the land ɹǝpun uʍop

Melbourne now under one of the strictest lockdowns in the world

Melburnians now endure some of the strictest lockdown conditions in the world, as the Victorian government battles to contain hundreds of new coronavirus infections every day.

Many countries that were initially hit hard by the deadly virus are now reopening for the sake of rebuilding their economies, with social gathering limits dropped and dining establishments reopened.

Others, which had early success in containing the virus, are now being forced into secondary lockdowns due to infections rising beyond control.

Still, other leaders whose countries have skyrocketing infections and death tolls are refusing to implement lockdowns.

Here’s how Melbourne compares.

MELBOURNE’S ‘DEVASTATING’ RESTRICTIONS

Under Melbourne’s strict new rules, residents are only allowed to leave the house for one of four essential reasons – shopping for groceries and essential items; medical needs and caregiving; daily exercise in your local area; and work where it’s not possible to do so from home.

A citywide curfew has been implemented from 8pm to 5am every day, meaning everyone has to stay at home during those hours.

Exercise is limited to one hour, once per day, and must take place within five kilometres of home.

Mask-wearing is mandatory, including in regional Victoria, and all restaurants and cafes are closed for dining in.

Schools will return to remote learning, religious services will need to be broadcast online, weddings will no longer be permitted from August 6, and funerals will be limited to 10 people.

The new phase of restrictions is expected to trigger an estimated 250,000 job losses with Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Chief Executive Paul Guerra describing the projected effect as “devastating and long-lasting.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews himself described the unfolding situation as “heartbreaking” when declaring the need for the city’s shutdown.

What about the rest of Australia, you ask per chance?

The rest of Australia enforces social distancing rules to varying degrees, but not nearly on the same scale as Melbourne.

Victoria's outbreak is sending the other states into panic mode.

I've already suggested to Victoria State Tourism, the new catch phrase. Not my original.

Victoria, the State of Disaster.
Nowhere to go and all day to get there.

(source: AAP)

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Just watched a program on the Smithsonian Channel which featured the Indian Pacific. Fascinating. I guess if you lived in the Nullarbar you would not have to deal with this.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cjevans:
Sharing the current state of c19 and living in the state of Victoria, in the land ɹǝpun uʍop

[quote]And yet again the same twaddle being pushed in the land down under. No mention of hospitalization or death rates, and we know 'cases' mean nothing. Simply amazing to see the scam working like it is across the entire globe.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Jesus, talk about draconian laws. Not unexpected from a continent that allows itself to be disarmed.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Z, that is a great program!
There is one that covers the entire journey.

The Indian Pacific runs from Sydney to Perth, via Adelaide, as you now know. I traveled on The Ghan from Adelaide to Alice a few years back. That was very enjoyable means of travel, and before the new job, contemplated the Indian Pacific journey.

Never mind now.

Victorians are banned from travel of more than 5km from home.

And the Western Australia (WA) state border is closed, particularly for Victorians.

The annual 'Grey Nomad' excursions will be missing Victorians this year. Grey nomads compromise mostly of retirees and caravans traversing Australia.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:

What about the rest of Australia, you ask per chance?

A coworker has a daughter that married an Australian guy and they live in Queensland, he just told me today all the other states and territories there have closed their borders with Victoria.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
OK, so I finally received my test results (20 days later). Negative for SARS-CoV-2. Must have been some other gnarly virus I had.

I'll take the antibody test just to be sure.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://news.yahoo.com/governo...rkers-150935434.html

Governor Cuomo begs wealthy New Yorkers to come home to save ailing city

Andrew Cuomo said he was extremely worried about New York City weathering the Covid-19 aftermath if too many of the well-heeled taxpayers who fled to second homes decide there is no need to move back.

“They are in their Hamptons homes, or Hudson Valley or Connecticut. I talk to them literally every day. I say. ‘When are you coming back? I’ll buy you a drink. I’ll cook,’ “ Mr Cuomo told MSNBC, naming popular getaways for the rich.

“They’re not coming back right now. And you know what else they’re thinking, if I stay there, they pay a lower income tax because they don’t pay the New York City surcharge. So, that would be a bad place if we had to go there.”

Lawmakers have proposed a wealth tax targeting the city's 100 billionaires to help fill a $30 billion (£23bn) budget shortfall created by the Covid-19 crisis.

However, Mr Cuomo, a Democrat, said he could not support greater taxes on the ultra-wealthy as rich people already have one foot out of New York City and he fears they will leave for good if their taxes go up.

Instead, he wants the federal government and New York's congressional representatives to send billions of dollars in aid .

“A single per cent of New York’s population pays half of the state’s taxes ,” he said, “and they’re the most mobile people on the globe.”

Retailers say the city is now the worst place to do business in the country, blaming its strict months-long lockdown and exodus of its wealthiest residents.

They report foot traffic at Manhattan stores is down 85 per cent from a year ago. Nearly 3,000 small businesses in New York City have closed for good in the past four months.

Broadway theatres - normally a big draw for tourists - announced they will remain closed until at least January 2021.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this article today on my phone news feed. It comes from Newsweek, of all places. According to the "Dutch Doctor Fauci" masks are ineffective against the virus.

An excerpt from the article:

"The lack of a national mask policy is at odds with many other countries in Europe. However, unlike many other countries in Europe, the Netherlands has fared relatively well for infections. There was a large spike in cases in March and April, but numbers started to fall in May. According to the World Health Organization's (WHO) latest situation report, on August 4 there were 372 new cases in the Netherlands and no deaths. In total, the country has had just over 55,400 cases and 6,140 deaths.

Unlike other European countries, the Netherlands also took a less rigid stance on lockdown measures. It introduced an "intelligent lockdown" where it asked people to work from home and maintain social distancing of five feet, but did not make these mandatory."

https://www.newsweek.com/nethe...-mask-policy-1522917

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigh, today Governor Cooper here in NC has decreed that our Phase 2 re-opening plan (which I believe has already been extended once) will be extended another five weeks, which means bars, gyms and movie theaters can’t open till the middle of September.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every bar, gym, theater and anything else that this ass Cooper is keeping closed, should reopen and openly defy him. He continues to ruin people and businesses over inflated and false numbers. I keep hoping he will get the wu-flu and drop dead. Even going by his numbers, the cases have been dropping the last two weeks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tleo205,

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pisses me off watching the news where some Raleigh bar owners were interviewed and said there was no way they could make it another five weeks and they would have to close.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
According to our plastic surgeon turned Orange County Public Health Officer, Raul Pino, his opinion is that Central Floridians should be required to continue wearing masks until a vaccine is available, and even afterward for several months until the vaccine can be sourced and administered to a majority of Floridians. This shit has gone from stupid to completely asinine. As a side note, one of my neighbors, likely the premier cardiologist in Florida and someone who knows Pino, told me his eight year old son is better qualified to be Orange County's Senior Health Officer than Pino is. Apparently Pino left private practice due to shall we say some rather large patient lawsuits. So all the talk of flattening the curve to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed was complete BS and they intend to walk all over our lives and rights in perpetuity. My friends, its time to completely ignore all these assholes and get back to normal.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
[Whatever] County's Senior Health Officer

THANK YOU!!! I've been struggling to come up with a name to suggest to the powers that be in Texas, to rename the job titles of "County Judge", who's job requirement doesn't require anything even REMOTELY related to being a lawyer or a judge, so something else.

"Harris County Senior Health Officer/Official" sounds like it fits the bill PERFECTLY! An alternative would be "Harris County Chief Executive".

But I'm sure it was titled "County Judge" YEARS ago to make someone of small penile construct make themselves out to be more important than they really should have been. The current DOLT running Harris County has a degree in Political Science, and this 29-year old BITCH is in charge of running the county. Dumber than a box of hammers. Got DAMN, where's the Tylenol!!! Mad Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a bit OT

A White Professor Created A Bisexual, Native American Persona Online And Then Killed Her Off With Coronavirus

https://hotair.com/archives/jo...led-off-coronavirus/

A neurology professor named BethAnn McLaughlin earned a reputation as a social justice warrior in her field. She started a group called MeTooSTEM which was focused on sexual abuse claims among scientists. In 2018, McLaughlin shared an MIT Media Lab award with two other women including Tarana Burke, founder of the MeToo movement.

In 2016 she also created an online persona on Twitter with the name @Sciencing_Bi. That name claimed to be a distinct person who was a bisexual, Native American geologist

The anonymous account, @Sciencing_Bi, was an active participant in the corner of Science Twitter that frequently discusses issues of sexual misconduct in the sciences. It claimed on at least one occasion to have grown up in Alabama, to have “fled the south because of their oppression of queer folk,” and to have attended Catholic school. The account began to pointedly make reference to being Native American and, earlier this year, began to identify as Hopi.

Since 2016, it has posted often about issues around social justice in the sciences, with a focus on activism and research about sexual harassment.

In April, @Sciencing_Bi announced she was ill with the coronavirus. She publicly blamed her illness on Arizona State University for making her teach in a large lecture hall with 200 people.

The account interacted with a number of people through DMs and in the past few weeks she told anyone she spoke with that she was experiencing a difficult recovery from the virus. And then last Friday, BethAnn McLaughlin announced that @Sciencing_Bi was dead.

After her “death” BethAnn McLaughlin suggested that she’d been in an intimate relationship with the woman known only as @Sciencing_Bi. “Looking at her side of the bed and crying. Just a lot of crying.”

But pretty quickly McLaughlin’s story began to really fall apart as people noticed that details @Sciencing_Bi had claimed about Arizona State University were false, e.g. she didn’t know the correct dates for the school’s closing. Also, looking back over her tweets it seemed that she had only referenced her Native American ancestry fairly recently.

Sciencing_Bi’s claims about meeting BethAnn McLaughling in person used stock photos

The whole thing finally collapsed when Twitter suspended both accounts at once. Also, ASU told Buzzfeed they had no record of any such person

Today, McLaughlin, through her lawyer, finally admitted the truth to the NY Times: “I take full responsibility for my involvement in creating the @sciencing_bi Twitter account. My actions are inexcusable. I apologize without reservation to all the people I hurt.” McLaughlin is now saying she’s aware she needs mental health treatment and will be seeking it.

No doubt what McLaughlin did seems crazy but it’s not crazy in a random sense. McLaughlin understood that in the left-wing activists circles she was traveling in being white was a disadvantage. She created a false persona who was gay, Native American, and allegedly a victim of sexual assault, i.e. someone whose intersectional identity gave her an authority that couldn’t really be challenged.

McLaughlin clearly crossed a line inventing a person but she wasn’t wrong in her assessment of how identity politics creates social power online. How many more fake minorities are out there on Twitter pressing for social justice?

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a little OT, but well placed, sir.

Nucking futs libturds.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Today, McLaughlin, through her lawyer, finally admitted the truth to the NY Times: “I take full responsibility for my involvement in creating the @sciencing_bi Twitter account. My actions are inexcusable. I apologize without reservation to all the people I hurt.”
People you've hurt? Umm, yeah, that would be you, genius.
quote:
McLaughlin is now saying she’s aware she needs mental health treatment and will be seeking it.
Yeah, nice try, but, no sale. You're just another clumsy con artist.

Oh, BTW:
quote:
Native American
quote:
...without reservation...
Yeah, that's racist.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post