SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Regardless of your view on the virus but assuming you acknowledge the public reaction to possible mitigating treatments you may want to read this. A local group that does some other studies from time to time. The theory is that not only does it reduce mortality but also severity of cases that otherwise would have just been uncomfortable.

At the very least, if you take either of these drugs regularly and you're low you may want to get some before it disappears along with the TP.

NORTHSIDER REED HOGAN'S OVER-THE-COUNTER COVID-19 TREATMENT CUTS DEATH RATE 25-40%
So what is this "miracle" drug? The link itself is clickbait. Just sayin'...

From the article heading: COVID-19 Treatment Success with a Combination of Two Over-the-Counter Drugs -- Pepcid and Zyrtec. Stops cytokeine storm.

Interesting...I hope the treatment pans out.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even as Tracey urged people not to go out and hoard heartburn medicines, retailers like Amazon and Walgreens appeared to already be experiencing shortages.

On Amazon, Pepcid AC and all three generic options found through a search were unavailable or otherwise out of stock on Monday afternoon. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

At CVS, the US's largest pharmacy chain, famotidine – either in Pepcid or generic form – was out of stock at most New York locations, according to its website.

Searches in Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and other cities produced similar results, with most locations out of stock. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Walgreens appeared to have experienced the same rush as CVS, with ZIP codes around the US showing out-of-stock notices at most locations searched by Business Insider, with a few stores showing limited stock. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

It's still too early to tell if famotidine will be useful in any treatment for coronavirus patients, Tracey said. Even if some benefits are found, patients in the study are taking extremely high doses intravenously, far more than someone would ever take for heartburn.

LINK:https://www.sciencealert.com/heartburn-medicine-is-selling-out-because-an-ingredient-is-being-studied-as-a-covid-19-treatment

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Anybody want to be a human guinea pig?

Negative, Ghosttater, the pattern is full.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Anybody want to be a human guinea pig?

Negative, Ghosttater, the pattern is full.

LOL!!! I needed that.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Famotidine has been unobtainium due to the backorder of ranitidine (NMDA contamination issue) even before this news came out. We haven't been able to get any on our shelves for at least six weeks.

Semi-fake news about a mad rush on famotidine.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
From the article heading: COVID-19 Treatment Success with a Combination of Two Over-the-Counter Drugs -- Pepcid and Zyrtec. Stops cytokeine storm.

Interesting...I hope the treatment pans out.
Thanks, cheesegrits!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
tigereye, was just in Wal Mart and they had plenty of Pepcid and Equate famotidine. Probably not for long though.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to take Zantac and had a hard time findin Famotodine because of the Zantac recall. Now, we have the claim that it helps with COVID. Swell! TP is one thing, hoarding medicine that has questionable effects is quite another.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow the money on these research studies....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
It is a Proof of Concept study. That is important to keep in mind.

Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^
It is a Proof of Concept study. That is important to keep in mind.

This is a very important statement about this article. PoC studies are normally done to see if a larger and more in depth clinical trial is warranted. They will need a much larger placebo controlled trial to make useful claims, for treating COVID-19, but this study is encouraging.

Best Regards,

Mike (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Follow the money on these research studies....

This one also is independent of any pharmaceutical company, etc.

quote:
They will need a much larger placebo controlled trial to make useful claims, for treating COVID-19

Absolutely. However in this case it's less risky than hydroxychloroquine since both medicines are available OTC and many millions are already taking them daily anyway, albeit at slightly lesser doses. It's certainly not preventative so I agree - people stockpiling lots of it is silly. Which means it will surely happen.

Of course IANAD, YMMV, UAYOR, etc!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"People are tired, they're wore out."

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Oh look!!! Somebody with a BALL SACK!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Way too much common sense for this period in history. And he's absolutely right. Central Florida, you know, the hotbed for the virus, reported last week that ER's were running at virtually the same volumes they were prior to any of this Rona BS. It's well past time to just stop it with all the BS, but since this is an election year, every single thing is going to be exploited to the max.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess Ohio has a lot of Karens:

Ohio police department asks public not to overwhelm dispatch with mask complaints

BEREA, Ohio (WJW) — With a new mask mandate for Ohio’s Cuyahoga County officially in effect, police are asking residents not to overwhelm the dispatch line with complaints about other people not wearing masks.

“Previous orders have been enforced by the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. There was mention at yesterday’s news conference that local law enforcement would enforce this order. Until we receive clarification and direct instruction on enforcement of this order, we can not respond to calls of this nature,” the department explained.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/news/ohio-po...ith-mask-complaints/

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Australia/Victoria update:

Victoria back into a 6 week lockdown.

The (Victoria) State Premier made the decision as there was a sudden 'alarming' increases in positive cases.

A rona cluster linked to a school and a housing commission tower block.

No mask mandate for business yet.

Surrounding States have blocked borders to virus riddled Victorians. Fines and or imprisonment for Victorians 'caught' out being in another State you have no reason for.

The highways crossing points are now checkpoints. The byways are clogged with the school holidaying Victorians, getting around the checkpoints.

We maybe a complacent bunch, but the stupid is just as strong (bragging rights you know), and is out and about on the highways and by ways.

This time around, there is no sense of TP panic buying, though the media would have one believe otherwise.
Aussie stats:

Total cases: 9,059
Total deaths: 106
Cases recovered: 7,575
ICU cases: 10
Hospitalized: 45
Tested: 2,910,831
Positive rate: 0.3%

Age demographics: 20-29 females lead the cases.

(source: https://www.health.gov.au)

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've been stuck at home, "working" remotely all week. My job is too hands on for this shit.

I got swabbed on Monday after my potential exposure last Thursday. STILL no damn results back.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:

That's my Sheriff! Jonesy is a good guy.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now from Alabama:
Alabama jail refuses inmates COVID-19 masks because ‘they’re going to eat them'

When Courtney Moore was arrested and taken to the Madison County jail, he was wearing a mask to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

But the Huntsville police officers who took him into custody weren’t wearing masks, Moore said, and neither were the employees inside the county jail.

Once Moore, a 33-year-old Huntsville man, was booked into the jail, he said the staff confiscated his mask. Neither Moore nor the other inmates were given masks or allowed to wear their own, he said.

“It’s ridiculous,” said Moore, who was arrested on misdemeanor charges at a protest in Huntsville on June 28. “I was exposed to an unsafe condition. I think that is very, very irresponsible of them, knowing how important masks are, to continue to arrest people and put their health at risk.”

When Moore was arrested, the Madison County Sheriff’s Office, which operates the jail, had not reported any cases inside the facility. But late last week, Sheriff Kevin Turner confirmed in a news release that a jailer had tested positive for the coronavirus.

Jail employees, the sheriff said, would now be required to wear masks. A Huntsville police spokesman this week said officers are also now wearing masks. However, in most instances, Madison County inmates still aren’t being given masks or allowed to wear their own.

Brent Patterson, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office, cited safety concerns among the reasons inmates aren’t allowed masks. Inmates could harm themselves or others with masks that have metal nose pieces, he said, while other masks that don’t have metal pieces could be tied together to make ropes.

“You give them face masks (with) a nose piece — metal pieces in them — they’re going to eat them,” he said. “They’re going to swallow them.”

If that happened, Patterson said, the public would question why inmates were given potentially dangerous weapons — face masks.

Outside the walls of the jail, a coronavirus health order now requires most people in Madison County to wear face coverings in public. That order doesn’t appear to apply to the jail, which houses inmates arrested by the sheriff’s office, Huntsville and Madison police and other agencies in the county.

“Jails will have, as part of their mitigation plans for COVID 19, their own guidance regarding the wearing of face coverings or masks,” said Madison County Health Officer Karen Landers, who issued the local masking order. (NOTE THE NAME OF THE HEALTH OFFICER)

More of the story and LINK:

https://www.al.com/news/2020/0...ing-to-eat-them.html