SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
The Chinese were able to lock their country down and get a handle on this relatively quickly. The U.S. response was to mimic the Chinese response, but without the ability or willpower to execute.

Bahahahah, you believe the shit the Chinese are telling us...? Their numbers as fact?

GTFO!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I don’t think we can trust anything the Chinese have said nor use it as a basis for how this is going to progress here

agree

in fact I am of the mind this was purposefully unleashed by the communist regime

economic destabilization -- negative GDP
social destabilization -- US liberties jettisoned / upheaval
political destabilization -- more political infighting
military destabilization -- look at the aircraft carrier mess

they have pretty much achieved all 4.

IMO the modern day Pearl Harbor only worse / potentially more effective

-----------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
The Chinese were able to lock their country down and get a handle on this relatively quickly. The U.S. response was to mimic the Chinese response, but without the ability or willpower to execute.

Bahahahah, you believe the shit the Chinese are telling us...? Their numbers as fact?

GTFO!!!!

Glad to provide some humor during these trying times. I don't believe the Chinese, but satellite imagery does confirm folks are back to work there while we huddle at home.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
No, the economic annihilation that we have wrought is what's devastating to far more Americans.

The really scary thing is... we are a service based economy and a lot of those jobs aren't coming back. Many people will be unable to afford many services which will have a cascading effect.

This point may already have been made, but I was thinking yesterday that this whole thing has the global climate change hysteria feeling about it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster: ...
this whole thing has the global climate change hysteria feeling about it.
It does. Until you can't breathe.

China would have no problem killing a couple million of their own people to "test" a virus and world response. IMO.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chinese were able to lock their country down and get a handle on this relatively quickly. The U.S. response was to mimic the Chinese response, but without the ability or willpower to execute. If we keep this nonsense up for months, we will look increasingly inept and become progressively weaker as a country. Our glorified 'experts' were not and still are not very imaginative in their recommendations. I imagined we would have lock down rules in effect in hot spots, but the reaction has just been ridiculous. With more testing and time to understand the threat, hopefully we coordinate a better and more sustainable response.

The Chinese barricaded people in their houses and left them to die.
That certainly is not a model to follow.

Besides, EVERYTHING they spew is one lie after another.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anecdotal evidence suggests the Chinese did not get a handle on this. I don't recognize how U.S. response mimics the Chinese.

quote:
With more testing and time to understand the threat, hopefully we coordinate a better and more sustainable response.

I agree, much more information is needed. I suggest given what is and was known, most State and Federal responses have been appropriate.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
jobs aren't coming back.

Be careful what you say, chellim. You sound too much like someone we know (and despise). Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Good grief, I'm not advocating for the Chinese approach to the problem. I'm pointing out that the world is seeing China apparently defeating the virus while the U.S. response has been to advise folks to huddle at home.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
It's not a flu, and zero credible sources think it was made in a Chinese lab.

There is a distinction between implying it was made as a weapon in a lab, and escaped a lab where research is done. If later genome sequencing confirms it came from horseshoe bats, and they are primary species of "lab rat" at local labs, then it means something different. Remains plausible but I have not seen separate confirmation.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
No, the economic annihilation that we have wrought is what's devastating to far more Americans.

The really scary thing is... we are a service based economy and a lot of those jobs aren't coming back. Many people will be unable to afford many services which will have a cascading effect.[/QUOTE

A lot of manufacturing will return to the U.S. after the country realizes how foolish it is to rely on a communist regime for much of your critical supplies.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
A lot of manufacturing will return to the U.S. after the country realizes how foolish it is to rely on a communist regime for much of your critical supplies.

quote:
from the great series "Letterkenny":
Pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

The sooner, the better.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Yes, I think that's right.
We have to get back to making things. A service based economy is very fragile because it's mostly fluff. There are an awful lot of services that people can either do for themselves or don't really need. But we do need to be able to make things and eventually we will. However it isn't a switch you can throw and open factories over night.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chinese were able to lock their country down and get a handle on this relatively quickly. The U.S. response was to mimic the Chinese response, but without the ability or willpower to execute. If we keep this nonsense up for months, we will look increasingly inept and become progressively weaker as a country. Our glorified 'experts' were not and still are not very imaginative in their recommendations. I imagined we would have lock down rules in effect in hot spots, but the reaction has just been ridiculous. With more testing and time to understand the threat, hopefully we coordinate a better and more sustainable response.

It's an unfortunate fact that "Going Big Fast" is best accomplished in places where an authoritarian government exists. That doesn't mean we'd want to live there all the time, but in situations like this, their ability to control citizens' movements/actions is better than ours.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good grief, I'm not advocating for the Chinese approach to the problem. I'm pointing out that the world is seeing China apparently defeating the virus while the U.S. response has been to advise folks to huddle at home.

If you trust what they're telling us....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

If you trust what they're telling us....
China's case and death statistics are faker than stripper's tits

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
South Korea!

An Eyewitness Perspective on How South Korea Tackled the COVID-19 Virus

While the Trump administration is forecasting some 100 - 240k or more deaths from the coronavirus scare (and lots of hell) over the next few weeks, South Korea is well on its way in sliding out of its bell curve since the middle of March.

South Korea was also hit pretty hard with this virus, being right next door to China. The people recovering, graphed in the green color, are now also biting deeply into the blue of those who are still sick. Those who have died are colored in red in between the green and the blue. Officially, as of April 3rd, about 10,062 were hit with the virus and 174 died, with more than 6,021 who have now recovered and some 3,979 who are still sick.

Everyone is still working and schools are in session. How did they do this?

I have been in and out of South Korea several times over the last number of years, and I do have a contact friend there who openly said the following without any fear, "This is not a deadly virus. Even though everyone is saying that, that’s because they aren’t able to get a handle on it."

So how is it that the South Koreans got a handle on this virus without stopping the economy or shutting down the country? South Korea has a crowded population of some 52 million people crammed into a geographical location about the size of Indiana, a perfect situation for a pandemic to spread – but it didn't. And yes, when I flew in and out of Korea, it was also very apparent they took communicable diseases seriously, particularly at airports. Health is a very much part of their daily routine.

My contact friend went on to point out, "Yes, I feel very blessed to be living here in South Korea during this time. There are several factors, I think, that have made South Korea so successful in how they’ve handled it. They started screening for fevers, wearing masks, putting out hand sanitizer everywhere, and just trying to make the public aware of what was happening. They were also very proactive, in testing and separating anyone who tested positive for the virus, whether they were showing symptoms or not. Because as you are correct, the majority of the cases are quite mild. It’s just very contagious. So South Korea ended up turning some factory warehouses and training areas into large quarantine centers for anyone who had mild symptoms or no symptoms, but still tested positive for the virus. That saved our hospitals only for the small percentage that were actually seriously sick."

Those who tested negative for the virus went back to school and work. Those who tested positive for the virus with little or mild symptoms were quarantined. This allowed them to devote their energies to those who succumbed to the virus with much more serious conditions at hospitals with far less chaos. The other very important practice they did was to quarantine the elderly to stay at home to keep them from getting it in the first place. This, too, prevented hospitals from being flooded with such cases that also drive up the fatality rate quickly. In this way, they had enough beds and hospital equipment to be able to help those whose symptoms developed into something far more serious. Since this virus has a pretty big kick to it in certain people, you have to facilitate scenarios that help hospitals handle better those who succumb to it.

My contact also added, "In addition to all of that, you have to remember that this is not the first time South Korea has handled some kind of virus. They have had multiple virus outbreaks over the years, and had all of the supplies on hand, and also very calmly dealt with it from the very first day. They did not shut anything down, except for large group gatherings, and advising us to not make unnecessary trips out. On top of all that, is of course the South Korean culture. They are a group culture and will do everything they can to help and protect one another. In other cultures where they are more independent, it’s going to be a constant struggle to get everyone focused and working in the same direction."

She then made this note, sentiments which I share deeply, "It grieves my heart as I see the rest of the world struggle. I wish in some ways they could learn from South Korea, and not panic, and just deal with it one day at a time. We had our scary moment too, when we had 5000 cases in one city and it really made people nervous and afraid. But the government and the medical staff just keep handling it very matter-of-factly, and because they didn’t quarantine everyone -- it didn’t make us panic."

Telling people to sit at home for a month or two is not a solution. In such a scenario, no one is doing anything about the problem, but simply sitting at home watching the coronavirus numbers go up. Moreover, being idle at home is a recipe for moral and economic disaster. Such a lockdown is a breeding ground for domestic abuse, child abuse, alcoholism, drugs, suicides, and any manner of other troubles – including excessive internet viewership which is already an epidemic without the virus.

As bad as this virus is, it is not the Black Plague or the Spanish Flu. The Spanish Flu was a youth killer that exterminated people by the millions, coming out of a gigantic world war at a time when the earth’s population was much less dense than it is now. The most important virtue the South Koreans have demonstrated with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic is they did not panic. Neither is it a coincidence that South Korea has very strong Judeo-Christian values among the near-third of the population that profess Christianity, and has a great traditional respect for the elderly. It will not be saddled with a two trillion-dollar stimulus package coming out the other side of this. General Douglas MacArthur would be proud.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.co...s.html#ixzz6IfHzsldi

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you trust what they're telling us....[/QUOTE]China's case and death statistics are faker than stripper's tits[/QUOTE]

TRVTH!

Besides CYA, the dishonesty distorts the evaluation of statistics, further impeding our ability to respond!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
chellim1,

I agree 100% with the way S. Korea handled it, unfortunately it simply won't work here for a number of reasons.

We have never dealt (in modern history) with anything like that so we don't have the supplies. Where do we aquire billions of masks, millions of gallons of sanitizer, and millions of thermal scanners? Where are the freaking rapid tests and antibody tests going to come from? We need the materials to undertake such an effort.

Next we are the United States of America. Freedom is engrained in our souls. Americans will not stay at home. Many people 60-75 years old are still working, and working in their most important stage of life to save for retirement, how do we force them home? What about immunocompromised younger people? Will they be willing to become wards of the state? People here are stubborn, selfish, and unwilling to sacrifice for the greater good. We need the national will power to undertake such an effort.

How many Americans are willing to sleep on cots in Expo centers, abandoned buildings, and stadiums with no privacy, even if it's only 2-3 weeks? How many will being willing to risk their job/house/car to keep their neighbors safe? We've lost our patriotism and sense of national duty.

I think it's a solid plan for the future, we need to stockpile sanitizer, thermal imaging equip, and medical supplies in much greater numbers for the next time we are attacked by China's wet markets. But today it's just not possible to do it like S. Korea since we currently don't have the will power or supplies to do so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong with the graphs.

To me it appears China may have underestimated their numbers, however New York is over estimating their numbers.

It appears that with each death the deceased is tested for the Wuhan Coronavirus, regardless of cause of death.

Example being the infant in Connecticut which was reported as a death related to COVID-19.
It would seem to me being smothered and deprived of oxygen was for more detrimental than the virus.

New York is elevating their numbers to gain Federal Assistance $$$$$.

Let’s see the graphs of deaths from a typical year in comparison.
The numbers are a hoax.

Sure some are dying, but not nearly to the extent we are being told.
Many are dying from other causes, however the deaths are being weakly linked and recorded as COVID-19 deaths.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post