SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
They really love parroting out this 9/11 death figure as if it as any relevance whatsoever. It truly is perverse.
Yeah, what's with that? Do they want us to go bomb the Wuhan fish market to smithereens? Hunt down THE butcher who chopped off that particular chicken's head?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I stated a number of pages ago that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chicoms sent thousands of infected people all over the world intentionally. There's nothing to show that, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Does it really matter? The Chinese absolutely let thousands of people travel internationally after knowing they could be or were suffering from the Wu Flu. Whether a conscience effort to infect others or not, they are 100% responsible for the spread of the disease and the pandemic the entire world is dealing with currently. They need to pay a huge price when all of this is over.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ If it were intentional, I think it makes a big difference. But would any response be different?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Familiar faces?

https://youtu.be/wVDPVBZF2Xg

Yep, and don't forget Fauci himself from 1/21: https://twitter.com/brithume/s...156119938080776?s=19

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
China is fucked and this will cost them dearly in the long run in both conscious trade retribution and unintended consequences. This whole issue has exposed the danger of a supply chain without diversity.

Some decisions to pull production of goods, pharmaceuticals and healthcare supplies/equipment will be done out of anger over the chicom actions and some will be pulled because it's smart given what we have learned from this crisis. Either way, China is going to lose a lot of money in the long run and rightfully so. It's a shame it took a pandemic for the world, and the US in particular, to see the folly in relying so heavily on a bunch of fucking commies.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
The Chinese were able to lock their country down and get a handle on this relatively quickly
Forgive the tone, but this is total and complete bullshit. To this very day we have 'zero' evidence of anything having to do with the true conditions on the ground in China. What's the current death toll and infected head count? no one knows. And if the Chicoms have their way, no one will ever know. One thing is unquestionable at this point though. The Chicoms let this thing loose on the world, and when this is all over, they should pay the world's biggest price ever for what they've done.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does it really matter?
^^^ If it were intentional, I think it makes a big difference. But would any response be different?

Yes, of course. Intent always matters.
But there is plenty of evidence of intent, callous disregard, and deception. The CCP is our enemy and most people are starting to realize that.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
South Korea!

An Eyewitness Perspective on How South Korea Tackled the COVID-19 Virus
Something tells me South Korea likely doesn't have a corrupt media establishment or opposing political party trying to derail efforts to contain the virus in an attempt to reacquire power over the country. To me, that's one of the biggest issues this country and administration has to deal with in fighting the virus. The biggest takeaway from the article I wholeheartedly agree with is simply sitting inside for a couple months is not an answer to anything but complete financial ruin.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Intentional? How about the “correspondent” from a Chicom newspaper who was 86’d from the WH briefing room for a fever?

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...k-to-illegal-aliens/

Democrats on Friday introduced a measure to amend the $2 trillion CARES Act, extending the cash payment benefit to non-citizens, including illegal aliens.

Three House Democrats, Reps. Lou Correa (CA), Judy Chu (CA), and Raúl Grijalva (AZ), introduced the Leave No Taxpayer Behind Act designed to amend the cash payment portion of the CARES Act — the $2 trillion emergency economic relief measure designed to help U.S. citizens who are facing economic hardship caused by the coronavirus pandemic — to extend to non-citizens.

Currently, the CARES Act requires recipients to have a Social Security number. ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers) taxpayers, which include foreign nationals and those residing in the country illegally, are not eligible and will not receive cash assistance. That is an “egregious error,” according to the Democrats’ press release.
Off with their heads! And I mean it. This filth needs to go.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Err, how is this an "error"?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Err, how is this an "error"?

Because we are supposed to care for anyone who can climb over or dig under a wall. It's their God given right and reward for violating out immigration laws, especially those who have been deported multiple times or are multiple felons. Love has no borders, or some shit.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
More than a dozen research groups worldwide have started analysing wastewater for the new coronavirus as a way to estimate the total number of infections in a community, given that most people will not be tested. The method could also be used to detect the coronavirus if it returns to communities, say scientists. So far, researchers have found traces of the virus in the Netherlands, the United States and Sweden.

Analysing wastewater—used water that goes through the drainage system to a treatment facility—is one way that researchers can track infectious diseases that are excreted in urine or faeces, such as SARS-CoV-2.

One treatment plant can capture wastewater from more than one million people, says Gertjan Medema, a microbiologist at KWR Water Research Institute in Nieuwegein, the Netherlands. Monitoring effluent at this scale could provide better estimates for how widespread the coronavirus is than testing, because wastewater surveillance can account for those who have not been tested and have only mild or no symptoms, says Medema, who has detected SARS-CoV-2 genetic material—viral RNA—in several treatment plants in the Netherlands. “Health authorities are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.”

Link: Scientific American

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
NY and NJ have 49% of the total U.S. "China virus" confirmed cases.
Throw in California and Washington state and I wonder what the percentage would be.
quote:
https://www.npr.org/sections/h...ll-covid-19-patients

Most coronavirus patients who end up on ventilators go on to die, according to several small studies from the U.S., China and Europe.
And yet again, these are the types of stories I really take issue with. So what's the takeaway of this story? A large majority of the people placed on ventilators do not recover, or they die. And? The author makes zero effort to provide the rest of the picture. I'm plucking these numbers purely out of the air to try and make a point, but let's say 50% of the people placed on ventilators die. That stat provides you with about 10% of the picture. How many total people were placed on vents and what percentage of corona positive people does that represent? Additionally, what percentage of the total population do the number of people placed on vents and died represent. My bet is the answer to both those questions is a very, very, small percentage. Is it horrible that these people die? Absolutely. But its even more horrible if we lose perspective on this whole issue and continue making bad decisions based on incomplete or faulty analysis.

Again, as I noted previously in this thread, living inside numbers and statistical modeling has been a huge portion of my adult life, and I see through stories like this very quickly. The underlying goal of this article is to scare the hell out of people. I do not believe we accomplish much of anything positive by doing that. But I absolutely know the underlying goals and where this leads...

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Does anyone know if having asthma leads to a higher risk of more severe symptoms?

Also, can people be reinfected with this if they get it and recover?

Yes and no.
"No". Has that been proven as fact at this point? I've read speculation that that's the case, but no confirmed medical decision that one can not be re-infected.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
... wastewater surveillance can account for those who have not been tested and have only mild or no symptoms, says Medema, who has detected SARS-CoV-2 genetic material—viral RNA—in several treatment plants in the Netherlands. “Health authorities are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.”

Yeah... but what's the real benefit?
So you can identify that people in a given area or community have it... but you don't know who?
Don't we already know that?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
China is fucked and this will cost them dearly in the long run in both conscious trade retribution and unintended consequences. This whole issue has exposed the danger of a supply chain without diversity.

Some decisions to pull production of goods, pharmaceuticals and healthcare supplies/equipment will be done out of anger over the chicom actions and some will be pulled because it's smart given what we have learned from this crisis. Either way, China is going to lose a lot of money in the long run and rightfully so. It's a shame it took a pandemic for the world, and the US in particular, to see the folly in relying so heavily on a bunch of fucking commies.
Got any money you're willing to wager? My bet is once this passes and is in the rear view efforts will be made my some Repub's in Washington to separate us from China. My prediction...majorities of both parties will demonize those efforts, calling them xenophobic and racist, and fight tooth and nail to oppose them given how much their personal fortunes hinge on Chicom dealings. and I believe that same paradigm will exist in governments around the world that have effectively been bankrolled by the Chinese.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
... wastewater surveillance can account for those who have not been tested and have only mild or no symptoms, says Medema, who has detected SARS-CoV-2 genetic material—viral RNA—in several treatment plants in the Netherlands. “Health authorities are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.”

Yeah... but what's the real benefit?
So you can identify that people in a given area or community have it... but you don't know who?
Don't we already know that?
My best guess is if a particular town or city showed a significant amount of infection, they could be targeted and quarantined.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ So the Metropolitan Sewer District (St. Louis) is probably crawling with the stuff...
Are you going to quarantine 1.5 million people? Without even testing individuals to see if they have it?
I should hope not.

Detroit? I'm sure the wastewater is full of it... Lock everybody up?

-rduckwor

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ So somehow they might be able to extrapolate the concentration of the virus in the effluent and compare it to the population that treatment plant serves to determine how many have it? But who??? Seems like a long shot to me.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post