SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Have we got a President ? You bet!

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...m-for-medical-masks/

President Donald Trump on Thursday invoked the Defense Production Act against 3M to acquire more medical masks to fight the coronavirus.

The president responded to the news reported by Fox News host Tucker Carlson that 3M was sending masks to foreign countries instead of shipping them to the United States.

“We hit 3M hard today after seeing what they were doing with their Masks,” Trump wrote. “Big surprise to many in government as to what they were doing – will have a big price to pay!”

Director of the Florida Division of Emergency Management Jared Moskowitz appeared on Carlson’s show to shame the company for not saving the masks for American workers.

Billionaire Mark Cuban also exposed 3M distributors for making as much money as possible with the masks and even spoke to the White House about the “price gouging” he said was taking place.

The president authorized Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf for FEMA “to acquire, from any appropriate subsidiary or affiliate of 3M Company, the number of N-95 respirators that the Administrator determines to be appropriate.”

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Don't give the Dems new ideas.

That's an old one, it was published in 1729. Smile

I am aware. But most Dems don't read, much less even know who Swift was.

Besides, I was sort of tongue in cheek referencing the whole Pizza Gate thing.

I figured, but thought some people might not have seen it before.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Rumor is that there will be a Presidential order to wear masks, reversing earlier CDC guidelines.

I am ready...

I'll tell you what, we restart this economy tomorrow, and I'll humor the masses and wear a mask.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you look back at Skins' post history in this thread, that post looks like dark sarcasm aimed at the "put everything back to normal right now" idea.

Something in the vein of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," which (not seriously) suggested we could fix a lot of the world's problems if we just started eating babies.

That would be the point of the post. The idea of letting people go about their business and letting the chips fall where they may is repugnant to me. I am amazed at the people posting in here it's just the flu, open the economy back up.

It's ludicrous. This is a threat we have not faced ever in my lifetime or my parents. Some of the people posting in this thread would sacrifice their parents, friends, and co-workers for their damn 401k. I have no answer to what the right mix of risk to life or the economy, is but I know it's not open everything up and let everything sort themselves out.

It's not the flu. I don't care if 50,000 people die every year from the flu, or if those dying might only have two years or ten years to live. We need to do the right thing here, does it hurt? Sure as hell it does, but I have a lot of friends and family in the at risk catagory and I prefer not to lose them.

Some people are so paniked about people's concern for a real threat. It's not unreasonable to be afraid of the deaths this is causing or the overwhelming of out medical systems.

Beat your chest all you want people. This is a real concern and people are dying, sorry if it's inconvenient.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Terrific. Just do me a favor and stop trying to be cute. Just say what you have to say.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
I haven't provided any end-state projections of my own on the forum. On purpose. But it might be time. What the majority of the consultants and epidemiologists are projecting is based on many unknowns (actual number of infections, actual CFR, actual R-naught, actual existing disease demographics, actual compliance with non-contact recommendations - you cannot become infected without proximity to a human or something a human has recently touched). So anything, it could be argued, is a guess. Including what I'm about to say. And what I'm about to say is why you hear an increasingly sobering tone from the WH and its consultants. Viruses in particular, again, are very mathematical in their spread and effect, and lend themselves very well to straight line predictions. With the unknowns previously mentioned affecting all of them.

What we do have substantial data on, worldwide, after months of progression, is relative fatality compared to identified infections. Those are hard numbers. And a better-than-WAG "guess" on the potential percentage of a given population that might ultimately become infected.
With the odd undeveloped areas of the globe unreported. I'll use a conservative 40% estimate for total infection rate in a population. Just using the data we have, if case fatality compared to known infections holds (which pray God it won't - and there are many reasons it might not), we might see 160M deaths worldwide within 2 years. And 2.8M deaths in the US. With current measures in place. Those numbers represent two or three times the fatalities during the whole of the 1918 flu pandemic, in the US and globally. And they are possible. They are in fact staring at us right now, for the analysts looking at them, like an incoming tidal wave. The economic and humanitarian impact of those numbers is something we can't really imagine right now. That's why the President is willing to trash the economy, at least temporarily, having been shown the wave from the ground floor window.

I have explained previously the multiple things that will potentially - perhaps even probably - mitigate those projections. Much of what we do, right now, may help alter that course. And I like to believe, in my heart, that they will. But they might not. However the dice fall, the final number of fatalities will be large. Very large. And for all of us who come through it - and may all of you - you, and life, and the world, will forever be changed.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I'll tell you what, we restart this economy tomorrow, and I'll humor the masses and wear a mask.

If it got the economy restarted, I'd be happy to wear one too.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Terrific. Just do me a favor and stop trying to be cute. Just say what you have to say.

Sorry I thought given the quotes I was replying to my message was quite obvious.

For anyone who didn't get it. We can't just let it progress with no mediation and hope for a miracle.

So far today alone 911 people have died and double the number of people who died on 9/11 have died. We started two wars over that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Rumor is that there will be a Presidential order to wear masks, reversing earlier CDC guidelines.

I am ready...

Mask - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

So they want to save masks for healthcare workers because of low supply AND require that all 300+million Americans wear one as well huh. Sounds like they just skipped past retarded and went to full on potato. Sorry but Im not wearing a mask while mowing my lawn. Shopping sure, just for stepping outside- bullshit.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sorry I thought given the quotes I was replying to my message was quite obvious.
Sure, whatever you say.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
So they want to save masks for healthcare workers because of low supply AND require that all 300+million Americans wear one as well huh. Sounds like they just skipped past retarded and went to full on potato. Sorry but Im not wearing a mask while mowing my lawn. Shopping sure, just for stepping outside- bullshit.

Healthcare workers need properly fitted N95 masks to protect them from constant close-range exposure to infected people and machines and procedures that aerosolize the virus.

It sounds like the CDC rec is going to be for reusable cloth masks, basically to remind you not to touch your face.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Healthcare workers need properly fitted N95 masks to protect them from constant close-range exposure to infected people and machines and procedures that aerosolize the virus.

It sounds like the CDC rec is going to be for reusable cloth masks, basically to remind you not to touch your face.

Yeah I get that, Im a paramedic in Los Angeles and Ive been transporting confirmed Covid patients every shift this week. Last week I only had one suspected. Next week I expect it to be the majority of my calls. A cloth mask has very limited droplet protection at best, sure its better than nothing, but an order like this will lead to an even worse supply chain for us.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We were told today to try and get our operations down to "ghost town" levels and that we may not be up to normal operational levels until September or possibly later. My state has spent a decent amount of $$$ getting us WebEx licenses and the necessary equipment so we can work from home. Standard work is delayed, for now, until June and we are only handling "mission critical" operations until then. This is fairly standard nationwide at both the state and federal level. My brother, who works for NASA, has been working from home for about 3 weeks.

Two of my nephews are ER docs and they have made similar comments to me that Doc H just made.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah I get that, Im a paramedic in Los Angeles and Ive been transporting confirmed Covid patients every shift this week. Last week I only had one suspected. Next week I expect it to be the majority of my calls. A cloth mask has very limited droplet protection at best, sure its better than nothing, but an order like this will lead to an even worse supply chain for us.

It's impossible, we'd need literally billions (with a B) of masks in order to do this. This is the whole reason they lied to begin with and said masks are useless. People like your self need them, and they wanted medical professionals to have them first.

If supplies ever catch up, everyone should be wearing masks til this mess has burned out or cures/vaccines are in place. If you wash your hands, wear masks, and don't touch face the chance of spread falls off a cliff.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

Two of my nephews are ER docs and they have made similar comments to me that Doc H just made.

You just email them the 'everyone panic' GIF and tell them they are overreacting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Skins, stop posting in this thread for tonight. Just cool it. Don't respond, don't even say "OK". Just be quiet for a while.

You're spamming this thread and you are pissing me off.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Some of the hospitals arent helping any. UCLA is requiring EMS personnel take off all of their PPE and put on fresh gowns and gloves- the mask and goggles stay on. So basically we are forced to use 2 staff protection kits every time we transport there. My idea is bring the bed out to us in the parking lot and we’ll just do the transfer there. Outside every ER in LA County they have tents and isolation areas set up for triaging Covid patients. We should be transferring care to those areas for stable patients vs going all the way into the ER. The plus side is the County has allowed us based on our assessment to deny transport to stable patients with non life threatening emergencies. So the last 2 weeks in March showed our overall transport volume decrease, but its starting to pick up again already.

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
19 dead in Oregon, another 91 year old added to the count today.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

For anyone who didn't get it. We can't just let it progress with no mediation and hope for a miracle.

So far today alone 911 people have died and double the number of people who died on 9/11 have died. We started two wars over that.

At the risk of sticking my head in the lion's mouth, I'm going to offer this. 'I' am one of those who want the economy back open now. Not for my 401K or investment portfolio, but for the damage that's being done to millions of people and businesses countrywide, much of which will be unrecoverable. Conversely, do I think we should sit back, do nothing, and let this thing simply run its course unfettered? Of course not. I simply believe there's a better approach than simply shutting down the entire country until the mental midgets in Washington can find something to come out from under their desks to tell us. And just to be absolutely clear, I have two parents still alive and kicking, both in their 80's and both suffering from co-morbidities that make them especially vulnerable to this virus. Hence the reason my brother and I have been shopping for them weekly and leaving their groceries on their porch rather than spending time with them. We've essentially quarantined them for their own good.

Ultimately, with no vaccine available, and contrary to all the bloviating, a very limited grasp of this virus itself at this point, the reality is people are going to die and there's nothing we can do to stop that reality.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Would it be inappropriate to suggest this person be burned at the stake. Mad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-ROL...6:g:SoEAAOSwcBleatI3

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post