SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○●
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○● Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Planning vacation around it. Will be staying in Isle of Palms SC, directly in path of it.

Shameless Big Grin Self-Promotion: We are opening an ice cream and coffee shop today on Sullivans
Island...

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Planning vacation around it. Will be staying in Isle of Palms SC, directly in path of it.

Shameless Big Grin Self-Promotion: We are opening an ice cream and coffee shop today on Sullivans
Island...

That's horrible self-promotion.... Am I to drive around in circles looking for ice cream shops, then ask cashier if they know Aglifter, until I find the right one?

What's it called? I'll stop in and grab some ice cream.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Our house lies south of the total eclipse path, and will experience 97.5% of total. For weeks, I was satisfied with that and planned to watch it from the yard. I've changed my mind. Now I've come to believe that not driving an hour-and-a-half north to get into the zone of totality would be foolish. We'll head to a part of Wyoming on state and U.S. highways and will likely avoid most congestion.

Posts: 13295 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are 6 people that will get an awesome view of the eclipse(from the ISS):

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

Is that an actual photo?

If so, it is really too cool!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a plane fast enough to follow the shadow path from one coast to the other?

for the ultimate eclipse experience?
take off 5 minutes prior , meet the shade over the ocean and fly in the shade the whole trip.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Fedex will take any opportunity to make a pre-emptive excuse.

quote:
FedEx Service Alerts

Total Solar Eclipse 2017

Friday, August 18, 2017

FedEx is closely monitoring potential effects of the total solar eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017. Our first priority is the safety and well-being of our team members, and we will implement contingency plans as necessary. Events of this nature often cause pickup and delivery delays and disruptions for FedEx customers. FedEx is prepared to provide service to the best of its ability.

For more information on the total solar eclipse, visit the National Aeronautics and Space Administration . For more information on traffic conditions, visit the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12437 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

Is that an actual photo?

If so, it is really too cool!

Yep, Taken from MIR in 1999:

Article that shows a fake & real shot of an eclipse from space:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...as-photoshopped.html

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is there a plane fast enough to follow the shadow path from one coast to the other?

take off 5 minutes prior , meet the shade over the ocean and fly in the shade the whole trip.

I don't have the link, but 2 NASA Canberras are going to pick up the eclipse in Northwest Missouri at high altitude and track it at whatever speed they can muster. They evidently will get 7 minutes of totality out of that.

Posts: 2525 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
quote:

I don't have the link, but 2 NASA Canberras are going to pick up the eclipse in Northwest Missouri at high altitude and track it at whatever speed they can muster. They evidently will get 7 minutes of totality out of that.

The shadow moves fast:

•2410mph in Western Oregon
•1747mph in central Nebraska
•1462mph in Western Kentucky
•1502mph near Charleston SC

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site...7_GoogleMapFull.html

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fast enough? Yes, it would have to be doing roughly 1,200+ MPH - so there are military aircraft could do that (F-15, F-16, F-22) for a short time, but they would all run out of fuel quickly.

The SR71 could have done it, but there pilots didn't spend much time looking outside, for fear of missing a caution light at Mach 3. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so an f-18 and four tanker refuel planes for the whole trip?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
It will pass through the (almost) center of Wyoming. Expecting LOTS of people for the 2 minute 30 second viewing.

PC

Wyoming's population is predicted to grow by about 600,000 this weekend through Monday. Nuts. People continue to ask how Casper was selected to be on the eclipse route...

Posts: 3525 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Hows it looking for Southern IL,or St Louis area?
My wife and I were thinking of driving down there Sunday night.

Posts: 4636 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:

There used to be one. The Concorde chased an eclipse in 1973 for 74 minutes of observation. Link.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We've arrived at our viewing location. Drive was not as bad as I expected. But we did leave at 4:30 this morning.

Bring the battle of sun vs moon!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20837 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got the old scope ready to project.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34133 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I had ten glasses, and since my wife and I only need two, she sold the remaining eight on the Park City Facebook page for $5 a pair. Tons of people kept asking where to get them so she put the offer out there and sold our eight pairs in about five minutes. We over doubled our initial investment!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm ready.
Again, any Georgia peeps need a place to observe, I'm more than happy to have you.

And a test projection.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I'm ready.
Again, any Georgia peeps need a place to observe, I'm more than happy to have you.

And a test projection.

Email inbound

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post