SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○●
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○● Login/Join 
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post

We got a pretty good 91% in Utah.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, that was pretty cool. It definitely cooled off and the lighting was.....eerie. Just heard the neighbors rooster crow also.

Posts: 2160 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Wow.
It was almost as cool as a little cloud passing overhead. Roll Eyes
The people who traveled for this "event" should have saved time and just lit their money on fire.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Here at max 80%, it wasn't even a show. Sun is just too bright. It looked like mild cloud cover. I'm sure at the 100% trajectory it was something cool to see. Life goes on...

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12671 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I'm glad my daughter got to see it! It was a cool experience.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
We had 67% here in Houston. Still interesting to see as it has been many, many years since I saw one.

Our local NBC station sent a reporter to the University of Missouri for the full eclipse. They kept interviewing college students, and it was so annoying as 1/2 their vocabulary is "uhhh", "ummmm" and "like"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23350 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
100% here. The 360 degree sunset was cool. I expected it to get darker than it did.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4792 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totality was impressive, but not totally dark. Soon the smallest sliver brightened the day, but the sunlight reminds me of Alaska in Sep & Oct.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4287 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
90% here in CO. I found it very interesting. Glad I got my eclipse glasses. It definitely cooled off, about 15 degrees and there was no noticeable difference between standing in the sun and the shade, which is not how it usually works in CO.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I won't dress it up or down, that was amazing, and worth the drive to see it in totality. Just.... wow. No wonder this used to scare the shit out of the ancients.

I think that's the ticket - unless you're in the area of totality, it was cooler, not as bright, and shadows on the ground had the funny double shadow.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14044 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
98% here, looks like dusk. Pretty cool

Posts: 5361 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39773 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
That was amazing. Took my glasses off at totality and could see the corona around the moon.

Got really dark here and cooled dramatically.

Really extraordinary.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6072 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My eclipse photo in the middle of a range session. Smile

At >90% I thought it might get dark enough to affect seeing the targets, but I was way wrong. If I hadn’t known what was happening, I might not have even noticed the effect.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47422 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmac82
posted Hide Post
Wow, amazing. Got really lucky here with no clouds.

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
At full totality...the "shadows" on the deck looked somewhat like rippling water...it was pretty cool Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Wow.
It was almost as cool as a little cloud passing overhead. Roll Eyes
The people who traveled for this "event" should have saved time and just lit their money on fire.

What it looks like isn't the main attraction, it's the interesting-ness and rarity of the celestial event. Understanding what's happening as you see, and how rare it is, and what it takes to happen, that is what's worth seeing / doing. Is all of that lost on you? Is all of that truly as blah and common as clouds, to you? Different strokes, I guess.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Overcast here. Maybe a little darker than a typical cloudy day.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
96% with binoculars.
Too bright to see anything on i-phone.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got a sizable crowd at the Dahlonega reservior.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34158 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post