SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Sessions.... In.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Looks like Sessions was just confirmed.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
The defense would have better come from a third party - a friend, perhaps.

President Trump should stick to defending the country. That is hard enough to keep on track.

Besides, Ivanka is out of the business. Isn't she? And, I read that the sales of her line were strong despite the pressure.

There are those trying to harm any and all of the Trumps. Although he would naturally want to defend his daughter, it just pursues another detour from the agenda he is trying to pursue for us.

Oh well. This kind of thing was said of him was during his campaign too but he won. Even so, until Bannon and Kellyanne, he would not stay to his message sometimes and it seemed to cost him.

Loyalty and sticking up for his people are part of the Trump charm.

Tubetone, your post above is uncharacteristically conflicted. Lots of mixed messages in there.

That is so true. On one hand, who am I to tell a man who has done the impossible in unorthodox ways what he should do? And, his way of protecting his people is a fine trait in my view.

On the other hand, it just seems to me to sidetrack him by going to bat for his daughter's business interests when he said he would separate himself from his personal business interests. It just struck me as mixing his roles when he's worked so hard to say that all that business stuff is nothing compared to the high honor and responsibility he has as President.

Ivanka and Jarred have assumed political and/or ceremonial roles in the administration. So, their business interests in her clothes line seems like something that was supposed to be left to others.

Anyway, that's why I am conflicted as an observer. I was just being honest but only had a few minutes between clients.

I am conflicted.

EDITED TO ADD: JALLEN, I just saw your post after I wrote the above. You and I are on the same page. I would love to be hearing about so many other things right now. President Trump is doing so many things so well.

I had heard that although the stores had bent to pressure that her sales were increasing and that a consumer backlash against the left and the cowardly stores was brewing.

Heck, we always refer to Nordstrom's as the "mothership" for my very elderly mom and I was debating on how I could break the news to her.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Looks like Sessions was just confirmed.

Yup, saw it on cnn and nyslimes when I googled "sessions confirmed".

Alright, now we get some law and order!! Big Grin Big Grin

I'm seeing it on twitter too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We just went through 8 years of a thin skinned president that meddled in all sorts of affairs traditionally beneath the attention of a president. This after 8 years of a president who would not defend himself to the demise of his party. If Donald wants to flex a little and assert himself now, I say turn-about is fair play. If Nordstrom made a business decision for political reasons, then then get what they get.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
We just went through 8 years of a thin skinned president that meddled in all sorts of affairs traditionally beneath the attention of a president. This after 8 years of a president who would not defend himself to the demise of his party. If Donald wants to flex a little and assert himself now, I say turn-about is fair play. If Nordstrom made a business decision for political reasons, then then get what they get.

Yep, taking the "high road" only got us thrown off the cliff.

Fuck Obama, fuck Bush and fuck Nordstrom, overpriced, elitist, leftist fuck heads.

God bless PRESIDENT Donald Trump.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Nine Democratic senators have publicly committed to holding a floor vote on Judge Neil Gorsuch’s nomination to the Supreme Court, almost assuring his confirmation.

Though Gorsuch will almost certainly be confirmed on a floor vote by the strength of the Republican majority alone, the GOP must attract a handful of Democratic senators to their side in the event of a filibuster.

There are, for the moment, 52 Republicans in the chamber. That number will, if only for a short time, fall to 51 when Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions is installed as U.S. attorney general. Unlike other federal judicial nominees, Supreme Court nominees are subject to filibuster, which can only be ended with the support of 60 senators.

However, the prospect that Gorsuch will surpass the 60-vote threshold now appears to be certain, as nine Democrats have committed to voting for cloture.

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin told The State Journal Register that he will support a hearing and a vote for Gorsuch on Jan 31.

That same day, Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal made a similar commitment on MSNBC.

Durbin and Blumenthal are both members of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary. Gorsuch will give testimony and answer questions before the panel in the coming weeks.

“I will support having a hearing and a vote because I think the President’s nominee deserves that consideration,” he said.

Democratic Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill made similar remarks on Twitter.

Other Senate Democrats who have committed to holding a vote on Gorsuch’s nomination include Sens. Chris Coons, Joe Manchin, Heidi Heitkamp, Jon Tester, Joe Donnelly and Jeanne Shaheen.

In advance of his hearing, Gorsuch has launched a charm offensive on Capitol Hill, meeting with over a dozen senators in private meetings. As is typical of Supreme Court nominations, Gorsuch will meet with most members of the Senate before the floor vote.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02...upport-gorsuch-vote/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin told The State Journal Register that he will support a hearing and a vote for Gorsuch on Jan 31.

Dated info or just wrong.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:

Dated info or just wrong.

Just bad grammar. What they are saying is that on January 31 Durbin told the newspaper that he would support a hearing and a vote. Here's a link to the January 31 article:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20170...uch-hearing-and-vote

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
The Pres. should keep his mouth shut about things like Nordstrom, etc. It is out of place for a President to go there in public. A boo-boo in my way of thinking.

Nordstrom is a seattle company. The family and the company have had their hands in seattle city, king county, and state politics for decades. This is as much a political, personal choice for nordstrom as it is a business choice.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
when does Sessions actually get to sit in the seat?

I wonder how soon before the first axe falls?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
when does Sessions actually get to sit in the seat?

I wonder how soon before the first axe falls?

Don't be in too big a hurry.

We need one of these two things to happen before Sessions takes the oath of office:

• Gorsuch is confirmed to replace Scalia in the SCOTUS (with Senator Sessions voting for his confirmation), or

• Sessions' replacement is duly appointed, sworn in, and is physically in Washington DC so he can sustain the Republican majority during the confirmation fight for Gorsuch and other Trump appointees

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    Sessions retired and resigned in a letter to the Governor and President of the Senate effective 11:55 EST tonight, acording to his farewell address on the Senate floor imnediately after the vote.

I haven't heard about him swearing in. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe he drove over the the Veep's house and took the oath right then.

I rather imagine that his replacement will be someone sound, who will know what is required of a man in his position. Voting against Gorsuch as the new man might be seen a something of an "own goal."

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
    Essayons
    Picture of SapperSteel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JALLEN:
    Sessions retired and resigned in a letter to the Governor and President of the Senate effective 11:55 EST tonight, acording to his farewell address on the Senate floor imnediately after the vote.

I haven't heard about him swearing in. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe he drove over the the Veep's house and took the oath right then.

I rather imagine that his replacement will be someone something, who will know what is requiredoif a man in his position. Voting against Gorsuch as the new man might be seen a something of an "own goal."

Well Governor Robert J. Bentley better get Sessions' replacement in place FAST. The loss of even one R senator for even a few days is significant at this time.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
    I believe in the
    principle of
    Due Process
    Picture of JALLEN
    posted Hide Post
    Word is the the replacement will be Luther Strange, current AG.

There will be a special election for a permanent replacement.

http://www.politico.com/story/...ssion-bentley-234782

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    CNN is on one of the TVs at the gym. Saw a blurb about a show called "Advice for President Trump." HA! So the guy that took down the establishment GOP while fighting off the Clinton machine, the democrat party and it's media arm needs advice from a CNN clown. The Onion is really having to step it up lately to compete.Big Grin

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
    The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
    Picture of Paragon
    posted Hide Post
    What is all this about Gorsuch criticizing Trump's criticism of judges?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
    Lawyers, Guns
    and Money
    Picture of chellim1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    CNN is on one of the TVs at the gym

You need to talk to the people who run the gym...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
    -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
    -rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
    Lawyers, Guns
    and Money
    Picture of chellim1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Paragon:

Trump tweeted out several remarks over the last week that targeted the judges involved in temporarily halting, then those later involved in the hearing regarding his travel ban.

When Judge Gorsuch was asked his opinion of Trump’s comments, during a closed door meeting with Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), he was less than enthused.

Blumenthal said Wednesday that Gorsuch called Trump’s tweets attacking federal judges “disheartening” and “demoralizing.”

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
    -- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
    -rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
    Yeah, that M14 video guy...
    Picture of benny6
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by chellim1:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Paragon:

Trump tweeted out several remarks over the last week that targeted the judges involved in temporarily halting, then those later involved in the hearing regarding his travel ban.

When Judge Gorsuch was asked his opinion of Trump’s comments, during a closed door meeting with Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), he was less than enthused.

Blumenthal said Wednesday that Gorsuch called Trump’s tweets attacking federal judges “disheartening” and “demoralizing.”

If a democratic senator said that, I'd consider it fake news. If Gorsuch said it in a televised interview, I'd give the story some merit. How many headliners have we seen that are eventually debunked after a day or two?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
    www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
    e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Report This Post