SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Payne seems to have a screw loose. He shouldn't be in any position of authority. That's the best I can say for him.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
this episode should be called: "When you arrest somebody for contempt of cop and it goes monumentally wrong"

Curious that this went down a month ago and nothing happens until now when it goes national.

But from his point of view, what has gone "monumentally wrong"? I mean, he was fine for a month, now he gets paid vacation. If that's what happens, heck, hand me a badge and I'll go cuff a nurse myself. Guy should be facing a jury for kidnapping charges and his peers who stood by should be facing conspiracy charges as well.

Now here's where it can go wrong with disciplinary action:

His rep will ask:

1. This happened on 26 July, correct?
2. When did you become aware of it?
3. If his actions were so egregious, why did you wait 2, 3 weeks, a month (what ever the time frame is) to take action?

At that point, it will go to an arbitrator. Arbitrator will rule in his favor, he'll retire.

That's why in cases like this you get out in front and stay in front of them.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

Agree, in spades, x1000.

Shit like this is the reason we can't have nice things.

A lot of ER's had deliveries of pizza and Edible Arrangements after this was made public.

A few years back, one of our guys got cut on a broken window during a search warrant. Bad enough to require stitches, but this wasn't a violent assault... just didn't realize that there was still glass left in the frame he was reaching through.

80% or better of the "human resources" at that ER were temporarily shifted to him when we walked him in. Comparatively mild injury, agent from a tiny white-collar shop nobody hears or cares about 999 days out of 1000. But until they did a full assessment and got to cleaning/suturing, he WAS the show because of the tiny li'l gold shield and the raid jacket.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I give a nurse-- particularly an ER nurse-- so much as a crossways look for anything short of a major felony. But that's just me.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
Also, you could hide your anti-LEO sentiments easier if you just called him a douchebag (which is probably fitting) rather than douchebadge in all caps.

I am not going to speak for Sig2340 but I don't think that calling a heavy handed or corrupt cop a "douchebadge" as anything that constitutes as anti-LEO sentiment. It was a simple play words that you find offense with, however fitting it may be? I can tell you this about people. There are good and wholesome people,that I would never say an ill word about, and there are assholes that believe they are gods gift to mankind that have an over inflated sense of worth or intelligence (typically both). Some of BOTH groups make up the LEO community, just like any other group out there. We point out assholes of every other profession, so why not LEO too? You too good to be called names?

You're reading a lot in to one post. You're assuming a lot about me, what I think and what I do and don't think. I'm not offended nor am I too good for anything. Smile

You may have missed where I made a negative comment about this individual officer. Read my posts in criticism of the cop and then your last few sentences and try to reconcile them.

The poster I was addressing has made generalized posts about LE in the past. I keep track of those folks by putting them on my blocked list. It's easier than remembering names.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

Agree, in spades, x1000.

Shit like this is the reason we can't have nice things.

A lot of ER's had deliveries of pizza and Edible Arrangements after this was made public.

A few years back, one of our guys got cut on a broken window during a search warrant. Bad enough to require stitches, but this wasn't a violent assault... just didn't realize that there was still glass left in the frame he was reaching through.

80% or better of the "human resources" at that ER were temporarily shifted to him when we walked him in. Comparatively mild injury, agent from a tiny white-collar shop nobody hears or cares about 999 days out of 1000. But until they did a full assessment and got to cleaning/suturing, he WAS the show because of the tiny li'l gold shield and the raid jacket.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I give a nurse-- particularly an ER nurse-- so much as a crossways look for anything short of a major felony. But that's just me.

Same here and not just because the Mrs. is an RN.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This cop was a douchebag of utmost proportions. I was just refreshing myself on The FMCSA regs for drug and alcohol testing.
The officer did have the right to demand a blood test. The regulation is FMCSA 382.303 which can be found here. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/r....382#se49.5.382_1303

I am not excusing the beligerant actions of the officer, however federal law does support requiring a blood draw after a fatal accident regardless of the issuance of a citation or suspicion of intoxication.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:

I am not excusing the beligerant actions of the officer, however federal law does support requiring a blood draw after a fatal accident regardless of the issuance of a citation or suspicion of intoxication.

Yeah, but that's not at all the responsibility of the SLC police department. Or any police department for that matter. This officer had no business demanding a blood test in the purview of the FMCSA or the CFRs.

So no, he had no right to demand a blood test here.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Has there been any information that the cop has personally apologized to the nurse. A sincere apology can go a long ways to mitigating a bad act.

Seems to me if the officer had the character to say "I am really sorry, I screwed up", with that kind of character he wouldn't have caused the stink in the first place.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Has there been any information that the cop has personally apologized to the nurse. A sincere apology can go a long ways to mitigating a bad act.

Seems to me if the officer had the character to say "I am really sorry, I screwed up", with that kind of character he wouldn't have caused the stink in the first place.

How about the Lt.? Did he apologize? After what he had his detective do to her, he had the nerve to give her a nasty lecture?

Sorry should have started with him apologizing to her and letting her out of custody instead of being condescending. I think he's at least as bad, or worse, than the detective.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
quote:

How about the Lt.? Did he apologize? After what he had his detective do to her, he had the nerve to give her a nasty lecture?

Sorry should have started with him apologizing to her and letting her out of custody instead of being condescending. I think he's at least as bad, or worse, than the detective.

Good point.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
At around 15:20 - depending on which posting of the video you're watching -the SLPD supervisor hints at his long-term disdain for having to deal with the hospital when he clearly states to the hospital admin person on the scene, "There's a very bad habit up here of your policy interfering with my law." Hmmm, his law. Wow. But I'm sure that attitude was probably his and his alone and had absolutely nothing to do with macho man Payne's treatment of the nurse.

I also find it interesting that when one of the other officer's needed the victim's name to ascertain if he had a Utah driver's license, Payne informed him that it was in his log which was in his blood draw kit in the trunk of his car. Just spitballing here but I wonder if it had been placed in the blood draw kit so it would be handy when he went to draw the victim's blood at the hospital?

quote:
Help me be clear, was the cop wanting to do the blood drawing? I am confused after reading more about this and seeing that he was on "the blood team"?

Yes, he was. He made a statement in one of the many, many video fragments now available out there that his supervisor had instructed him if she wouldn't allow him to take the blood sample, arrest her. He also made a statement that he was leaving there with a vial of blood or her under arrest. Hmm...wonder which one he left with?

I have a feeling that if the department and the DA ever get around to demanding accountability from these clowns- hopefully not under that one supervisor's law (his law) - Officer Payne is going to have some company in the spotlight.

FrankT, here in SLC we all carry a blood draw kit in our cars. They have seals, a couple of vials and other paperwork that the state crime lab requires. The crime lab in the state has dozens of jurisdictions and these kits are just for standardization. We all have the kits but it doesn't mean we are going to draw the blood. I don't know of any agencies in SLC that have trained officers as phlebotomists. Must of the agencies call fire departments as we have had the paramedics trained to do the blood draws.

As for the investigations The U of U police will likely be doing the criminal investigation along with the D.A. who will be screening any charges against Mr Payne. The D.A. in SL county is very much anti cop. Think Marilyn Mosby. He hates us and we have zero trust in him. It has gotten so bad that some of the local police Unions have warned against talking with the D.A. during shooting investigations. I wouldn't worry about the impartiality of the D.A. in this case.

oppps. Looks like the Salt Lake County deputies will be doing the investigation.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
What exactly does it mean the D.A. will be screening charges? How does the D.A. do that after examining the evidence the Unified Police will bring him? How much discretion does the D.A. have in bringing charges?

Do I understand correctly that in this matter, the Unified Police investigation will be like an internal affairs investigation?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
What exactly does it mean the D.A. will be screening charges? How does the D.A. do that after examining the evidence the Unified Police will bring him? How much discretion does the D.A. have in bringing charges?

The D.A. has their own investigators who will investigate along with the detectives from Unified. The investigators do the investigation, interviews, evidence collection and then all of that information is turned over the the D.A. who makes the decision what happens. Its a long process but this is how all charges are filed in Salt Lake county. The detectives can suggest charges but it's really up to the D.A. and the individual attorneys he assigns.

The D.A. can file charges by issuing warrants, he can decline to file charges or he can sent it back for more investigation. They can also turn it over the the feds but its normally up to the feds to come calling and request the case.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sorry should have started with him apologizing to her and letting her out of custody instead of being condescending. I think he's at least as bad, or worse, than the detective .

Which tells me this is a systemic issue, not just one bad cop. Given that the Lt. was this bad and his own peers just stood by and watched, it says the entire department thinks this kid of behavior is normal and acceptable. Add to that the chief knew about this in July, but only when it comes to national attention does he even make a peep about it. That dept has a lot of rot that needs to be cleaned out.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guy should be facing a jury for kidnapping charges and his peers who stood by should be facing conspiracy charges as well.

The thing you all are forgetting is that the law in Utah explicitly allows blood draws from unconscious patients who cannot give consent.

He wasn't asking her to draw the blood, he was going to do it himself.

She was interfering with that because of hospital policy. Hospital policy doesn't supersede state law. She was obstructing a peace officer.

Could it have been handled better? Yes.

Was he within the letter of the law? As far as I can see, yes.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I doubt that it stops with Lt. The way the police chief talked circles around the issue, he has been in situations like this one before and will talk most of the department out of the situation. There will be a few sacrifices to satisfy the public and life will go on.

The nurse fought her battle and is to be congratulated, a true professional looking out for the rights of her charges with style.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
Guy should be facing a jury for kidnapping charges and his peers who stood by should be facing conspiracy charges as well.

The thing you all are forgetting is that the law in Utah explicitly allows blood draws from unconscious patients who cannot give consent.

She was interfering with that because of hospital policy. Hospital policy doesn't supersede state law. She was obstructing a peace officer.

What cause did this officer have to draw blood from this patient? Just because he felt like it? This patient was a victim in this accident; not the perpetrator.

And the nurse was not citing hospital policy. She was referring to state law as to her refusal to allow the blood to be drawn.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

No.

PC. He has none, so he can't draw. Period.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:

Could you please provide evidence of such law?

Because here is what I have found:

quote:
LEGAL ISSUES AT PLAY?

A 2016 U.S. Supreme Court ruling says a blood sample can't be taken without patient consent or a warrant. But in this case, the officer reportedly believed he had "implied consent" to take the patient's blood.

Implied consent assumes that a person with a driver's license has given approval for blood draws, alcohol breath screenings or other tests if there's reason to believe the driver is under the influence.

Paul Cassell, a criminal law professor at the University of Utah's S.J. Quinney College of Law, wrote in an opinion piece for The Salt Lake Tribune that state law doesn't permit a blood draw in this situation — especially since the blood was being sought to prove the patient was not under the influence.

Wubbels' attorney, Karra Porter, said the state's implied-consent law "has no relevance in this case whatsoever under anyone's interpretation. ... The officer here admitted on the video and to another officer on the scene that he knew there was no probable cause for a warrant."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170902-story.html

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:

He was the victim of the accident, not the person who caused the accident. The detective needs approval to draw blood from an unconscious victim.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post