SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Game time! It's high school football season. Always fun to time and see how long they can make 12 minute quarters. I'm just there for the band at half-time. Smile

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
LOVE the Explorer II.

I have never seen it with that band. I really like the look. Very understated.

Beautiful watch!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Game time! It's high school football season. Always fun to time and see how long they can make 12 minute quarters. I'm just there for the band at half-time. Smile

I really like the Explorer II "Polar"! I'm "on the list" with my local AD. Not sure if that really means something, but I'm hoping I'll get a call and still checking in.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
A big YES on Long Island Watch

What are you looking at?

I've been looking at the Marathon GSAR anthracite version. I asked because I thought bonuses were dropping today. I was wrong. Going to have to wait some more.

No secret I'm a big Marathon fan. I don't have one, but the GSAR is quite popular...lots of positive reviews.

Here's a simple but fairly impressive one...long term test during which he deliberately put it through his washing machine and ran over it with his car. You can spend a lot more for a watch, but you're probably not going to get much more in terms of real world/practical durability from a traditional analog watch (the Vic INOX and Seiko Tough maybe enough of a difference to be noteworthy).

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Still a work in progress but I mostly finished assembling my first titanium case SKX mod. I used a SKX011J1 for most of parts and even swapped out a pristine hardlex because it’s a bit lighter than my double dome Sapphire Crystal.

Waiting for an oem SKX007 parts watch and a few hand sets then it will be perfect.
This has been a very fun project so far!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm liking that Ti case, stickman!

With that case in mind, I spent a few minutes making a parts list on Namokimods the other night... tempting!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
A big YES on Long Island Watch

What are you looking at?

I've been looking at the Marathon GSAR anthracite version. I asked because I thought bonuses were dropping today. I was wrong. Going to have to wait some more.

No secret I'm a big Marathon fan. I don't have one, but the GSAR is quite popular...lots of positive reviews.

Here's a simple but fairly impressive one...long term test during which he deliberately put it through his washing machine and ran over it with his car. You can spend a lot more for a watch, but you're probably not going to get much more in terms of real world/practical durability from a traditional analog watch (the Vic INOX and Seiko Tough maybe enough of a difference to be noteworthy).

$.02 worth,
Boss

Thanks for the video. I'm still on the fence between the GSAR and the TSAR. Having trouble justifying paying over 1k for a watch.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve been working like a mad scientist tonight. I broke a dang hardlex Crystal on my little Crystal press! It was scratched so I learned what not to do.

It might be a while before my donor SKX and specifically the black/silver oem bezel insert arrives so I went ahead and assembled it back to oem + Ti case. The titanium case has a dull almost sandblasted finish and adds some contrast with the polished stainless bezel, crown and case back.

The titanium case is noticeably lighter than the regular stainless steel case.

I also built this tonight. I think it turned out pretty well. For a Seiko turtle mod it is somewhat unique. I added the brushed and marked chapter ring, a double dome sapphire Crystal and a display case back from the spare parts pile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

What's not to like? Reasonable size. Trim lugs. Small hour markers. GMT. It has everything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boss1:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by goose5:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigSwede:

Thanks for the video. I'm still on the fence between the GSAR and the TSAR. Having trouble justifying paying over 1k for a watch.

I've got a GSAR.
Love the damn thing! Built like a tank! However, it's deceiving built, side by side, it's the same height as a Rolex Submariner.

I purchased mine about 7+ years ago, and the prices have only went up. I sent mine in about 2 1/2 years ago to Marathon for some service work, and it was appraised at a ton more than I paid for it. And if you're having trouble justifying that price, I'm looking at the CSAR...
I've got the cash, I just don't know if I "need" more ammo or "need" a CSAR.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Tough choice...the good news is there's no wrong answer...TSAR is excellent.

And yes, not insane like Rolex, but Marathon's prices seem to be on a steady climb. Think of it as an investment, not an expenditure...

Funny thing is, they're definitely not as common as other watches...there's often several times more Rolexes, Omegas, Seikos, Zelos, and other major brands compared to seeing Marathons for sale. Perhaps the owners grow a bit more attached...

Watchpatrol.net can help you search around for possible pre-owned deals.

Random Rob...good reviews...

TSAR...

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXvpVthKww

GSAR...

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrH53ot2uo

Good luck,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
What does everyone think of this?

https://university.thechive.co...-diy-watchmaking-kit

It looks like "building the watch" is putting a movement in a case, screwing on the back and installing a strap. Maybe it includes installing the crystal. That isn't building a watch.

I would also be deeply suspicious of the quality of the components and tools at that price.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: I would also be deeply suspicious of the quality of the components and tools at that price.

But it comes with a "Hand-wound battery." It must be good. ;-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree and for the price to "assemble" it on your own. Might as well modify your own creation.

I posted that to be sure I wasn't missing anything as I read it a few times. Now if it was an actual movement build as well as the rest of the watch, that would be a different story.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
The Kraken has arrived. Phoibos Apollo Titanium PY013F. Every external part of this is Titanium, including the DLC coated Bezel insert. Link

The date wheel is centered. The first picture was taken on an angle.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man, enjoy! Phiobos is a lot of watch for the money. I like the sandwich dial and that colorway. I think rburg has a Helm that has a similar thing going on, aqua lume and indices with a white dial. Really liking that.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Johnny, your Phoibos looks great.

How long was the wait?

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Johnny, your Phoibos looks great.

How long was the wait?

Ordered on Saturday September 18
Delivered this morning Thursday September 30.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^thanks

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post