SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I really like that Helm on the left, rduckwor.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I built this watch from a pile of parts.

The 7S Movement, dial and hands are from a SNK dress watch

The chapter ring is from Crystal Times

The case is from a SRP turtle and the bezel is from a Samurai.

Crystal is from Crystal times

It has a unique vintage vibe going.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man... I'm still wrestling with a decision. I can buy a Sinn 104 right now. Or a Marathon GSAR soon. Those are ticking high on my "it's built like a tank and practical" meter.

Or I can leave that cash in the safe and sell a pistol, a guitar, and an amp and buy a Seamaster 300m soon. Or a Sinn 857 UTC and a 104 for roughly the same money.

I'm going to get the ball rolling on one of these things before the year is out. I've spent the last nine months or so considering an investment-grade tool watch or luxury watch, and instead of thinking about it, I could just be wearing one.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Man... I'm still wrestling with a decision. I can buy a Sinn 104 right now. Or a Marathon GSAR soon. Those are ticking high on my "it's built like a tank and practical" meter.

Or I can leave that cash in the safe and sell a pistol, a guitar, and an amp and buy a Seamaster 300m soon. Or a Sinn 857 UTC and a 104 for roughly the same money.

I'm going to get the ball rolling on one of these things before the year is out. I've spent the last nine months or so considering an investment-grade tool watch or luxury watch, and instead of thinking about it, I could just be wearing one.

I've never regretted the Marathons that I've bought, nowdays I treat them like everyday pieces; the JDD I haven't taken off since I got it... I'm thankful that I have two wrists Big Grin

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There are a few Sinn models I like a lot. Always have.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Smudge-
Talking to a few different people in the Watch Industry, if you’re looking at anything from Marathon, get it before the end of the year. Supposedly the prices are jumping up due to production and now marketing. Marathons are more popular now than years before, and the company knows it.

I recently got a CSAR from Windy City Watches. Couldn’t be more happy with the purchase and the service from Mr Hooper. I still love my GSAR as well. He has some Pre-Owned but certified by Marathon watches that might make your decision to pull the trigger easier.

https://windycitywatchcollecto...ch/marathon-watches/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like that Helm on the left, rduckwor.

Thanks. I love the color way on it, but I think the case is too tall for the case diameter.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I finally have something to contribute to the watch thread!

For the past few years I've been wanting to buy a Revue Thommen GMT "Batman."

About six months ago, I decided to pull the trigger and put in an order on one of the more reputable online watch dealers.

A week after my order was accepted, while I was impatiently waiting for shipping notices, I received an e-mail telling me that this particular watch was out-of-stock. I canceled the order, figuring I could find the same watch elsewhere.

But, oh no, every site I visited said it was no longer in stock. After a few months of fruitless checking myriad websites, I found a "new in box" posting on fleabay.

It was listed for ~$85 more than I originally planned but I bought anyway.

It did arrive in a shabby original box, but the watch seemed unworn. All the links were there but most of the protective cellophane had been removed from the bracelet and face... but was still intact on the display back. Odd, and I was a little skeptical.

Keeps regular time, + 8 to +10 secs a day depending the the overnight orientation.

My wife refers to it as a "high end copy" of the Rolex GMT Master II... and I suppose that's exactly what it is. "Homage watch" seems a little pretentious to me. But, hey, I wanted a Revue Thommen and that's what I got. I am pleased.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
I wanted a Revue Thommen and that's what I got. I am pleased.

That's the part that counts!

- - - - - - - - -

Oh. M'goodness.
I want this.

Seiko SLA059.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13485 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love the USA only 300m Seiko Marinemasters. The DLC case with the blue dial is sweet too but yeah that red dial is fantastic! The Seigaiha texture/design on the dial is pretty sweet too. One of them is a 500 only run watch while the other will apparently become a standard model.

Link to Seiko’s two new USA only Marinemaster 300

This one is very much my style. If only it wasn’t over 3 grand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they're over $3K, but they come matching cufflinks! Eek

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well... crap.

Went to take my watch off earlier to get in the shower. Really should have just left it on, but I didn't want to get the NATO wet. It slipped when I was removing it and it fell face-down on the edge of the sink. I knew as it landed that it wasn't good. There goes my sapphire bezel insert.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man... I'm still wrestling with a decision. I can buy a Sinn 104 right now. Or a Marathon GSAR soon.

I really like my Marathon GSAR. A lot. It's pretty much the watch I wear if I'm not wearing my Seamaster. It's a big, beefy tank of a watch with a super legible dial with tritium lume that can be seen from space (slight exaggeration, but it's bright). What's not to like? I wish I'd bought 2 before the price went up last time.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Guys that order watches via the internet. I don't want this thing sitting unattended on my porch before I get home. How do you arrange it so that doesn't happen?

I emailed Long Island Watch. They said in the special instruction box just write "signature delivery." Okay but you know how something like this might be overlooked, and I've got a thousand dollars sitting on my front porch.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Have it delivered to an alternative receiver.

I had my Breitling delivered to a UPS store and an Omega delivered to Walgreens.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
There is Kroger near my house that accepts FedEx deliveries. I send my valuable packages there and pick them up on my way home from work. FedEx and UPS list pickup locations on their webpages and will let you redirect deliveries there.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
The lady of the house likes her fitness/smart watch, but otherwise is more or less underwhelmed with the hobby/topic...

However the other day she saw a watch design that she specifically said, with some genuine enthusiasm 'Now I like that one...'

So of course, you know what happened next...

New watch on the way...fortunately I found a good deal on one as I've spend a few pennies on a couple others recently...

I wish Luminox didn't have the water/fogging issues, but this one is not a bad looker and one of their least expensive models...

Leatherback Sea Turtle Giant, specifically the green with orange accents...

https://luminox.com/collection...ea-turtle-giant-0337

*Sigh* at least she'll like one of them...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, that’s a bummer about your bezel. I have often wondered how impact resistant those sapphire bezel inserts are. While the ceramic and sapphire inserts are more scratch resistant than aluminum they don’t fare nearly as well when it comes to withstanding impacts.

Are you going to get another or go back to the original bezel insert?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I have often wondered how impact resistant those sapphire bezel inserts are.

Not enough that I'm going to immediately buy another one, that's for sure. Maybe eventually and I'll just be really careful with it, I dunno. But not any time real soon.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Are you going to get another or go back to the original bezel insert?

I'm getting on a plane tonight and really wanted to take the Glycine with me to Florida. Wasn't going to take it with shards of sapphire falling out of it, so I've had it soaking in the grip tape solvent since last night. Dug out the stock aluminum bezel insert and the extra 3m adhesive ring and I'm going to put the original back on some time today. I need to see what size insert it takes, I wouldn't mind seeing if there's others that fit since it's a simple swap.