SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Here are my trusty ole Quad 10s by Bill Yao (again). The only two "nice" watches I own nowadays. The make and model are identical, the somewhat chunky stainless cases the same, both have 20mm lugs, the faces both black, and the hands and dials almost the same but not... (I bought both separately, a year apart, from different people. Some of them were spec'd to order when originally offered. Hands and faces, especially.

The one with the black strap, grey stitching, and butterfly clasp is here catching the reflection of some art on the wall and a speaker in the corner - the face itself is plain black, sitting atop a cheap Spyderco whose model name I forget.

And here is the one with the brown strap, made from a vintage swedish army (or swiss, I forget) leather ammo satchel, cut and sewn custom, khaki stitching, regular clasp.

One in brown, one in black, for every dress occasion.

Both have 22mm straps squeezed between 20mm lugs so that the strap proportions better suited the watch case proportions, a subtle but positive difference I think. Neither are freakishly big, just a wee bit chunkier than an actual vintage military watch from whom the Quad 10 homage is based.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Very nice watches. Impressive band on the second one.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's a cool bit of leather for sure, still has some numbers stamped into it from the original use.

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
As it turns out, I wound up allowing myself a modest little 'attaboy' for career-related reasons, and also in no small amount that I happened to be in the right place at the right time, scoring a pretty good deal on a pre-owned/mint sample.

I have now officially joined the Marathon JSAR club.

I went JSAR for a few of reasons. One, it's standing the test of time. The design has been around long enough to be solidly established in the watch world. Second, your bang-for-your-buck goes a pretty long way with Marathon. Third, it stands on it's own...its not trying to emulate or be 'inspired' by other watches. It also has a 'legit' pedigree/history. My JSAR is the quartz version, so it's 'grab and go,' and with as many of them out there, I expect Marathon will service them for a looonnnggg time. For a pure analog watch, its functionality and durability are at the top of its game. IMHO, it's about as good as a quartz 'tool watch' as you're going to get.

I had been looking at the Omega, and maybe that'll be a retirement gift or something. I can't recall seeing many, if any, Marathon's out in public. By contrast, in the past three months, I've seen 3 Omegas in my little working environment. A Planet Ocean and two Seamasters. Awesome watches to be sure. But the two Seamaster owners weren't really in the big time watch enthusiast category...one was solidly in the 'my wife bought it for me' club. On the other hand, the Planet Ocean owner was a bit more into it...he'd had it for about 2 decades and actually used it on the job (used the bezel for timing evolutions of work activity). It was used but not abused...just honest wear and character. He said he'd had it serviced a couple/three times.

My JSAR is currently on a bright orange vanilla scented Marathon rubber strap, which I'm kinda starting to like, but it'll be on bracelet once I get it sized by a jeweler (can't get the opposing link screws unlocked).

In any event...a couple of Random Rob reviews...

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOKxYANo9bM

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPIhKxijtow

Boss

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Boss1,

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Been trying to talk myself into a GSAR. May I ask where did you get yours?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I picked up a little Something for Tabitha's birthday next month this morning.

34mm (actually 34.9) Rolex Oyster Date on a riveted Oyster. Fresh from Rolex Service. The hands and crystal are new, plus a beautiful restoration job on the case and bracelet.

Swapped my Omega Aqua Terra 2500 even for it.

Now we both got Rolexes.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gift!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Looks great Mars!

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

I purchased mine basically pre-owned / 'as new' off the classifies for the website for watches you might be seeking. Wink

If you wanted to purchase new, I'd say take a look at Long Island Watch, I believe they're one of the limited number of AD's.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love the GSAR! It’s a beast!

My watch buddy at work has two of them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Seiko Willard(ish)

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Take a look at Windy City Watch Collector

https://windycitywatchcollector.com

I'm in the middle of a deal with Mr Hooper right now, and couldn't be more pleased.

EDIT- 09 Oct 21
As soon as I can get some time, and find a photo hosting site, I need to post some pics of my newest acquisition...

Talking to Mr Hooper, he's saying that Marathon is raising their prices after the 1st of the year. So if you're looking at getting a new one, I'd get it soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CPD SIG,

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a beautiful Seiko rOgue! The Capt’n Willard case shape is one of my favorites.

I am loving my DLC cased Manta Ray Turtle mod. The way Seiko’s DLC treatment allows the polished and brushed steel case to still shine is neat. I added a King Turtle bezel with a ceramic insert that really makes the watch interesting.

I scooped up a Stargate II for a crazy good price. I originally planned to use it for parts but it’s grown on me quite a bit and my son LOVES it.

This is such a cool case shape!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Glamour Shot on Granny's Chaise Lounge:

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That is nice. Simple. Clean. Classic.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Helm’s Komodo is putting Tissot’s flagship Seastar Chronograph auto diver to shame in the lume department.

I am loving the new Komodo! The smaller size compared to the Vanuatu makes for a very comfortable watch on the wrist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^ Love it.

Their waiting list tool is working again and I'm now #1898. Can't wait.

BTW, how long did you charge the lume and how long did it last?

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
That's some terrific lume on the Helm. I really like the addition of lume to the bezel markers.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like the Komodo. I assume that is the BGW9 lume?

Looks good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Komoda's have C3; Vanuatu's have BGW9. At least mine do. Maybe they put BGW9 on the orange Komodo's, mine's white.There are so many different Khuraburi's I have no idea what they all have.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post