SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
As far as accuracy and inexpensive maintenance goes, I have a Fossil quartz watch that is almost 20 years old (on its 2nd battery). I synchronized the Fossil to atomic time a few months ago. It’s been ticking away for probably 5-6 months and when I checked a few days ago it was running only about 7 seconds fast. That’s not bad for an inexpensive watch. My autos all have their own varying level of accuracy but a good Seiko or Citizen automatic should have close to a 40 hour or more power reserve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
rOgue, these guys built the blacked out 6309.

Build your own Seiko Mod I also configured a mod SKX0007 from Mad Mod World which you can also see in that thread. I’d buy another Mod from them in a heart beat. I’ve got my eye on a throw back JDM Seiko or two right now and they are $$$$$ for a Seiko....

What am I missing? You can buy a mod’d Seiko SKX for less than a factory built standard SKX on Amazon?

Edit: ok. Price shown is the pre-mod price. Still, those are some good prices.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Jimineer, Yeah they do have decent prices. It’s when you upgrade the movement etc that they can be a little expensive. I have really enjoyed the two mod watches they built. The blacked out 6309 they made me is one of my favorite watches. I was considering upgrading to a new movement but the 6309 is a great movement. I suppose when it dies I’ll upgrade the movement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So far I am enjoying this throwback Seiko and it’s 6R15 movement. It’s not too big and not too small, I dare say it’s size is perfect. The bezel insert looks glorious in the sun and quite different in lower light. What a neat watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Seikos, I've been giving this one some time.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice SKX!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
It came from someone here on the forum. One day I'll learn to take great photos like you guys!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
So far I am enjoying this throwback Seiko and it’s 6R15 movement. It’s not too big and not too small, I dare say it’s size is perfect. The bezel insert looks glorious in the sun and quite different in lower light. What a neat watch!

What model is that? It has a nice clean dial. I prefer the date only to a day/date, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
jhe888, Reference SBDC063 aka baby MM (Marinemaster)

The bezel/insert is just wonderful. It is a deep blue in the sun and at night or in low light it looks like a regular black insert. It is a great watch, it feels light like a 7002/SKX but way more elegant with a splendid mix of modern and retro going on.

I have a factory stainless steel Seiko strap from a SBDC061 and a modded strapcode bracelet off a MM 300. They should change the look quite a bit though I am pretty hooked on the stock soft silicone straps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's been a ver long time since I bought my "first watch", February 1998 to be exact. Of course I eventually succumbed to the fever of the watch passion and flipped it on another watch which too is now long gone.

I happened upon a particularly clean "T" dial (tritium lume) with hole lugs and was pleased to see it was the same U date code mine had had. I just had to do it.

The not really rare but fairly uncommon Rolex Explorer II "Polar" dial. Heretofore to be known as my Exporer II². Ya just gotta love hole-lugs! Smile

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE! I have come to love drilled hole-lugs. As often as I like to swap bands they come in handy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
That is a really clean Rolex. Sweet find!

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Polar Explorer and the platinum dialed Yachtmaster are the two Rolexes I would add.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Love the Polar Explorer Rogue. I am a bit torn on the Explorer II watches myself. I actually like the red 24 hour hand better than the Orange Steve McQueen hand (even though I love Steve McQueen). I like the 42mm and 40mm cases about equally. The problem is that now that I’ve gotten used to the glide lock clasp on my Submariner and Sea Dweller, I don’t think I could ever go back to the older style clasp on a watch that I would wear often, and I certainly would wear an Explorer II often. I wish there was a way to put the newer bracelets with glide lock clasps on the older Rolexes. I’m kind of hoping that the rumors of a new Explorer II on the upcoming 50th anniversary, possibly with a different 24 hour hand design and possibly with a ceramic bezel are true. I believe that the Polar Explorer is one of the most under appreciated Rolexes in existence. Nice watch!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Nice Rolex rOgue. Did you find it locally? I agree they are kinda undervalued, but sweet watches. I originally wanted that model until I saw the BLNR. Then I had to have one of those. I love my Sub a lot. I wear it the most. I like the clean face without the date.

I agree the glide lock clasp is a keeper. I appreciate the quick micro adjustments.

If they didn’t cost so dang much I’ve have 3 or 4 more!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Not everybody's cup of tea, but this is the "EBay Watch" built totally from parts sourced on EBay. Chinese Seagull 6498 clone movement, Chinese case, German dial and hands with good lume. The strap is German, a Di Modell Chronomissimo I've had around for ages.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think it's cool that you did it yourself. I've toyed with the idea in the past.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got a pretty cool homage to the Seiko 6105-8110 aka “Willard” after the watch Captain Willard wore in Apocalypse Now. (Martin Sheen’s character) NH35 movement too!

I love the lines on this watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
It's been a ver long time since I bought my "first watch", February 1998 to be exact. Of course I eventually succumbed to the fever of the watch passion and flipped it on another watch which too is now long gone.

I happened upon a particularly clean "T" dial (tritium lume) with hole lugs and was pleased to see it was the same U date code mine had had. I just had to do it.

The not really rare but fairly uncommon Rolex Explorer II "Polar" dial. Heretofore to be known as my Exporer II². Ya just gotta love hole-lugs! Smile

Congrats on your Polar!!! One of my favorites and if I could add to my collection (of one JC DSSD), that would probably be the first. I haven't bought my Rolex watches to "flip", but its nice to know that your classic will only appreciate in value over time. Enjoy it!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Nice Rolex rOgue. Did you find it locally? I agree they are kinda undervalued, but sweet watches. I originally wanted that model until I saw the BLNR. Then I had to have one of those. I love my Sub a lot. I wear it the most. I like the clean face without the date.

I agree the glide lock clasp is a keeper. I appreciate the quick micro adjustments.

If they didn’t cost so dang much I’ve have 3 or 4 more!

Beautiful Rolies coloradohunter44!!! Did you just acquire the "Batman"? People are going crazy trying to find those now that the model has been discontinued (the new BLDR features a "Jubilee" bracelet and new movement). Enjoy yours!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post