SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Quitting time! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame you guys for this:

https://i.postimg.cc/CLpvb6JZ/...89-C5-CF17147927.jpg

Love it!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^Welcome to the club. Cool

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Y2kIUkIs

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They've become an obsession.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Automatic watch owners. Is it your experience that when your watch was brand new did it run fairly close to real time. I've read how to regulate an automatic and I'm not sure I want to take the back off. Can any jeweler perform this task?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: ...I've read how to regulate an automatic and I'm not sure I want to take the back off. Can any jeweler perform this task?

Not all jewelers are, or have on staff, a watchmaker. Take/send your watch to a watchmaker. Large jeweler chains like Ben Bridge have a watchmaker in many of their stores, or will send a watch to one that does if they don't. (Ben Bridge also has a large Rolex-authorized service center in Seattle, although they don't work only on Rolexes.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Modding is so addictive! I took one of my favorite Seiko mods on a little hike with the family. I’m planning a similar build or two to this along with a SKXA035 build using real parts that’s either going to go into a standard SKX case or maybe a SRP Turtle case. Extra points if you can figure out where I was today.

My littlest wildling making a “this water is COLD!” face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
wherever it is it's beautiful

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That is such a cool color for the Komodo. I was torn at first between the white/silver dial or an orange dial. In hindsight I probably should have bought both. Big Grin

The Komodo is one of THE best deals for automatic dive watches when you consider what you get for the money. The case shape is in my opinion perfect, yes it is a bit thick but it doesn’t feel heavy and the curve of the lugs makes the watch feel so comfy on my wrist.

I put almost all of my watches on mesh so another reason I like the thick case shape of the Komodo is that when paired with a nice brushed shark mesh bracelet the overall look and most importantly the feel is superb.

I own a lot of watches....maybe too many watches and the Komodo is easily in my top 10. It’s been in heavy rotation since arriving. Those still waiting for one I hope you don’t have to wait too much longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
^^Welcome to the club. Cool

Boss

Oh, that CSAR is my second Marathon. I've had the GSAR for about 9-10 years now. Love that watch too! They are built like tanks. I've used the GSAR at both jobs, and beaten the hell out of it. Still holds up beautifully!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Automatic watch owners. Is it your experience that when your watch was brand new did it run fairly close to real time. I've read how to regulate an automatic and I'm not sure I want to take the back off. Can any jeweler perform this task?

You should not regulate one unless you know what you are doing. Or are willing to screw it up until you learn how to do it.

Most any competent watchmaker can regulate one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Extra points if you can figure out where I was today.

Grandfather Mountain?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

You should not regulate one unless you know what you are doing. Or are willing to screw it up until you learn how to do it.

Most any competent watchmaker can regulate one.

Okay thanks. I'm still up in the air over the auto vs quartz. If the TSAR came in anthracite it would already be on my wrist. I usually don't wear a watch during the week. So, I'll be setting it for weekend wear. I'm reading there are some tricks to setting day, date, and time to avoid damage to the movement. How do you guys handle this task?

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: ...I'm reading there are some tricks to setting day, date, and time to avoid damage to the movement. How do you guys handle this task?

Just don't set the day or date between 10PM and 2AM and you'll be fine. On most models there's little risk of damaging the works, but avoiding that window is erring on the side of caution.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The hands on this watch kicked my ass. It took me nearly an hour just to do the minute and second hands! Mad The second hand did not want to cooperate but the end result is pretty good. The YouTuber Lume Shot inspired me to build this DLC SRP Turtle sporting a Stargate II dial, King Turtle bezel and insert and pretty cool hands.

This one is a little bit different from the stealth Turtle Lume Shot built but he originally gave me the idea to build a stealthy Turtle. I added more silver/stainless steel for contrast, the silver bezel really catches your eye and balances out all the black.

I love the way light reflects off the dial and hands on this watch! This is one of Seiko’s best dials which was sourced from Seiko’s most underrated/under appreciated Seiko Superior (Stargate I & II) line of watches. These hands are growing on me too. Being aftermarket I was worried about the lume but it lasted all night last night.

Build list:
Seiko SRP Turtle case and crown (DLC finish)
King Seiko bezel & ceramic insert
Seiko Stargate II dial
62mas style minute and hour hand
Marine Master 300 styled second hand
Brushed DLC chapter ring
Kanji/English NH36 Seiko movement
22mm DLC shark mesh bracelet cut to size

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hands on this watch kicked my ass. It took me nearly an hour just to do the minute and second hands! Mad The second hand did not want to cooperate but the end result is pretty good. The YouTuber Lume Shot inspired me to build this DLC SRP Turtle sporting a Stargate II dial, King Turtle bezel and insert and pretty cool hands.

This one is a little bit different from the stealth Turtle Lume Shot built but he originally gave me the idea to build a stealthy Turtle. I added more silver/stainless steel for contrast, the silver bezel really catches your eye and balances out all the black.

I love the way light reflects off the dial and hands on this watch! This is one of Seiko’s best dials which was sourced from Seiko’s most underrated/under appreciated Seiko Superior (Stargate I & II) line of watches. These hands are growing on me too. Being aftermarket I was worried about the lume but it lasted all night last night.

Build list:
Seiko SRP Turtle case and crown (DLC finish)
King Seiko bezel & ceramic insert
Seiko Stargate II dial
62mas style minute and hour hand
Marine Master 300 styled second hand
Brushed DLC chapter ring
Kanji/English NH36 Seiko movement
22mm DLC shark mesh bracelet cut to size

That is nice! Seconds require quite a bit of experience and some effort to set correctly. I take a tiny blob of Rodico and put it on the end of a piece of pegwood and then stick the dial end of the second hand into the Rodico. That way I can get down level with the dial and see where I am actually putting the second hand sleeve.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What can y’all tell me about Christopher Ward watches? They have been on my radar for a while but just recently made two watches that REALLY caught my fancy. One of their new watches is pretty dang close to an idea I had regarding translucent dials revealing bits of the movement underneath.

Thanks rduckwor! It was a fun build. I did use a bit of Rodico to hold the seconds hand and a hand held pusher to install it. My main issues are that I need MUCH better lighting in my work space and I need to get a magnifying glass of some sort to assist my eyes. I have great vision but trying to install that hand in bad lighting really strained my eyesight quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5: ...I'm reading there are some tricks to setting day, date, and time to avoid damage to the movement. How do you guys handle this task?

Just don't set the day or date between 10PM and 2AM and you'll be fine. On most models there's little risk of damaging the works, but avoiding that window is erring on the side of caution.

Some movements can be damaged by changing the day or date when the gears are engaged in advancing the day and date, which is between 10 and 2 (roughly). Others are designed so that this is not a problem. Better safe than sorry, if you don't know your watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
What can y’all tell me about Christopher Ward watches? They have been on my radar for a while but just recently made two watches that REALLY caught my fancy. One of their new watches is pretty dang close to an idea I had regarding translucent dials revealing bits of the movement underneath.

My son bought one of their field/Army models. I forget whether it has an ETA movement or a Stellita. He bought it used, and it had some problems. Ward fixed it for him, no charge, probably by just replacing the movement. That movement probably costs them less than $100. Then it still had some problems with the power reserve - it wouldn't stay wound for the claimed 40 hours. I don't know if he sent it back again or not.

Sounds like good service, at least.