SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I should stop popping into this thread, makes me look around at stuff. The Sinn 104 A St Sa looks pretty nice.

Isn't it? When I start thinking about a Seamaster, I also think of the Sinn 104 I with a fine link bracelet and think "I could stop there and be happy."

Same with me and IWC pilots. My reality is that I almost never wear my Fortis pilot watch as is.

Posts: 9950 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Hamilton H64715145

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MTM Watch Company

I have been looking for a replacement for my Luminox Nighthawk watch for the last year.

Seeing all of the neat things so many of you posted in the previous 342 pages hasn't made my decision any easier. I don't recall seeing anything specific related to MTM. I also did a search of MTM and wasn't successfully their either.

Today, I was told to look at the MTM brand of watches as it may meet my needs without breaking my budget ($1,500.00).

Desired features: Similar to a dive watch. A number or marked face for each of the 12 numbers. A digital screen that is easily readable to display day/date or stop watch or alarm. A light or luminescent at the hour locations so I can see it in the dark.

Does anyone have any experiences with the MTM watches good or bad?

Thank You.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they got discussed back in May on page 316.

quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
From the looks of it hypertech the website is a no go but it's also a collection for the military-ish brand MTM.

I've worked on a few of them they are over priced for what you get if memory serves me right and it's been a long time since I read about MTM some Navy Seal started the brand I think.

They were really popular in the early 2000's when Jack Bauer wore one on I think Season 5 and the TV show The Unit. They make a similar model which you put on a charger to recharge the battery since it has back lights for docs and maps so a regular battery won't cut it. As for their other models they use cheap japanese sekiko movements or rhonda movements.

Look tacticool but you'd be better served buying a G-Shock or Suunto.

Fwiw, the poster who asked about the Hypertec, Ironmike57, wound up buying a Lum-Tec B50 back on page 324.

Posts: 17098 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Boss1, I have little faith in Omega AD’s to be 100% honest because of my horrific experience with one of them. I figured I would shoot Omega an email to see if they would comment on future unavailability of quartz movements in their Seamaster. I like the idea of owning the first Omega Bond watch even though it is quartz movement and figured what the heck. I’ll let you know what Omega says.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge
Thank you for pointing that information out that I missed. I’ll keep looking.

Enjoy the day.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I got my Promaster some new clothes too. Finally took off the aftermarket fabric (which was surprisingly durable).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I've had anything to contribute. A few new 35mm Germans.

The watch I was seeking. Integrated date symmetrically placed at 6 o'clock. The 35mm Tangente Date is a discontinued size for Nomos, and by far my preferred size of theirs for dress shirts/work. Also, their looong lugs and the lack a bezel (all dial) can be problematic as the case size scales up. I set aside the OEM straps and surfaced a few of my favorites from the strap box, and they were totally transformed for the better.

I needed the date, but I really dug this limited edition Tangente that the seller also had posted. So... You know. Smile

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What a clean, elegant design. Made in Germany too! Congrats rOgue they are both gorgeous. I kind of like the one with the date window a bit more but only because I tend to gravitate towards watches with date windows over those without. This is probably what’s made it difficult for me to pull the trigger on that Tudor BB58 Blue. Wink

I’ve spent a few minutes looking at them asking myself which one looks more balanced and does the date window throw off the aesthetic balance of the dial. I don’t think it does but I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. The no date version has a slightly cleaner look and I like that it says “Made in Germany” rather than just “Germany”.

I’ve always been incredibly fond of watches that have a few numerals on the dial but not necessarily to the point of a field watch. It makes them easier to read throughout the day without taking anything away from the aesthetics.

Congrats. Perfect size too. Smile

How thick is it? Does it have a display case back ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
From Bauhaus to your house, Rogue.

Nice.

(Apologies to Tom Wolfe.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Really like that clean look and I'm with stick that it's hard to decide which I like better. The non date is cleaner/simpler, but I do like having the date.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very nice watch. I love the clean, simple face. That's my ideal - simple, clean, high contrast for easy readable hands. Love it!

Modern trends seem to generally be contrary to what I like. Perhaps what I like are the older classics (but know zero about them. I've never heard of Nomos before; I'm guessing a boutique brand for watch lovers).

Alas, even if I were aware, I'd likely not be able to afford. And I'd still have some requirements (ie - bright, long lasting luminosity, anal level accuracy, no battery worries (solar or automatic). I think this generally leaves me with watches that are unaffordable. Although I'm learning that there are a few options for me Smile

Here's what I've bought before - have lasted me a good 20-30 years now. But I don't wear them (no luminosity, needs battery). But clean and simple faces. I love that Nomos watch. It's so perfect (almost).

The 3rd (not Seiko or the Coach/Movado) watch is a fake. And not very good but perhaps could be regulated (now that I am aware of it). But even still, doesn't meet my requirements today.

free image url hosting

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
... I like that it says “Made in Germany” rather than just “Germany”.

I hadn't noticed that! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
...How thick is it? Does it have a display case back ?

6.2mm. The date has a display back, the Bauhaus does not.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I looked up their website. I really like their Metro line. Wow, there's a whole world out there to discover - I've only seen the edge of the Seiko forest. There is so much more beyond. Unfortunately, as expected, well beyond my means. But it's very exciting to discover.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
There is so much more beyond.

I'm a year and a half into it and I feel like as much as I've taken in, I'm only getting started. I think one could probably get very deep over the course of a lifetime and still learn and see new things decades into it.

Posts: 17098 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toxophilus84:
Hamilton H64715145

I really like that one!

Posts: 9950 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
After a few days Omega responded to my question...sort of...not really. Frown

Both Tissot and Hamilton were about the same as Omega when I contacted them regarding service work and repairs on two automatic watches I own. They were not exactly helpful or willing to say much of anything other than send it to us first. Lame but I get why they would take this approach.

I was annoyed by the lack of answer from Tissot and Hamilton since both regarded a bezel repair which isn’t overly complicated.

Doxa is one brand that surprised me with their eagerness to respond back and actually try to answer my exact question. After a few back and forth emails which were responded to in less than 24hrs Doxa did in fact confirm support for a watch they no longer make/sell and also confirmed their ability to fix the issue with a crown tube and crown. Unfortunately the watch sold while I was confirming that repairs were possible.

Here is my question and the answer from Omega.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s a non-answer if I’ve ever seen one.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Swatch group (Omega, Tissot, Hamilton etc) C/S people should run for public office with responses like that eh? Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice r0gue, as usual.
Tough choice between the 2, but would probably have the date model over the no date.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15238 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post