SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I loaded 50 rounds each of 40 S&W rounds using Xtreme 165gn and 18gn plated bullets and Winchester WST powder to try in my Sig 1911 Traditional Match Stainless Elite 40 and my M&P 40 Shield. Looking for the sweet spot of accuracy using this powder. Trying a mid range load of 5.1 gn for the 166 and 4.6 gn for the 180. The low end loads I started with did not perform well in either pistol.

Posts: 3 | Registered: March 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
The first of many wallet casualties of this past weekends Forum Shoot. This one was miniscule...only $56 bucks. Its going to go downhill very quickly from here... Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
You got that right. . If you want a huber, they are build to order @ 2-3 weeks.

Also, they are located right in FdL, so you can stop in and pick it up on your way up north. Save shipping hassle.

My huber has been ordered, and I ordered a short action precision rear bag after spending 8 hours hunting for a str8 laced. I don't know what she is going to school for, but I hope it will pay well. What, with all the income she's missing out on not having time to produce more bags.. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
A special thanks to Entropy for providing the last needed piece to this puzzle. Let the OCW testing for the new slug and brass begin Big Grin

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jlemmy, start at lower charge with the RWS brass. Fellow Colorado member Alpine uses RWS brass in his 300WM's, I know he uses less powder with the RWS brass compared to other brands. I'll contact him, get him to post up his loads with the 215's/RWS brass compared to other brands of brass.

That's a good idea flipping your Omega hopper upside down!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
jlemmy, start at lower charge with the RWS brass. Fellow Colorado member Alpine uses RWS brass in his 300WM's, I know he uses less powder with the RWS brass compared to other brands. I'll contact him, get him to post up his loads with the 215's/RWS brass compared to other brands of brass.

That's a good idea flipping your Omega hopper upside down!

Would be much appreciated !

Tired of the crap brass life of the Hornady. Figured I'd back off launching the 230 and try out some real brass. Any guidance would be very helpful.

Couldn't find anything to cover the hopper the keep dust out. So I gave up and flipped it over Big Grin

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
jlemmy, I'm using 73-gr of H1000, but using Fed GMM Large Rifle primers. I'm jumping my 215's around 15-thousands. The RWS Brass I use is ghe bulk stuff that was available a few years ago, weighing around 274-gr for an unprimed virgin case. Some of the newer boxed stuff like you have was weighing in a little lighter. I use the Large Rifle primers because I get better ES/SD numbers with them over the Magnum primers. Some people have poor results with the RWS brass because they want high velocity with a heavy bullet, and depending on where your throat is set, you may not be able to do so because of the lower case capacity of RWS brass. My first 300WM prefered Federal and Winchester brass, and my currents rifles prefer the RWS brass.

Good luck, and if for some reason the RWS brass doesn't work out for you. Let me know if you want to sell it, as I may be interested.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight ! I've heard of people using standard primers to lower ES.

Your charge weight is quite a bit lower than what I'm using with the 230. I'm getting excellent speed and decent ES but brass life has been subpar. I did a quick compare on the scale with one piece of each. The Hornady was 232, the RWS 260. I know consistency is king but I was hoping to keep the speed up as well. I'm running the Mk 248 mod 1 chamber throated for 220's. I know it is rough on barrels and brass but not to the degree I'm experiencing. I had hoped to find some Winchester brass to play with but have not found any as yet. I have a pile of Remington brass as well but have tried to isolate that to a different rifle. Will be interesting to see what happens with the RWS. I'll try to keep my testing on one box. If it doesn't work out I'll gladly sell the rest.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Sized & primed 200 pieces of 6.5x47.

Load them tomorrow morning, shoot at a buddy's Sunday.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Sitting in a hotel room going over Jewell trigger install videos for about the millionth time. Got the plan of attack for loading the Bergers. Finally ordered up a Karsten rest. Researching chassis.

Nothing will happen until home on Wednesday. Frown

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Sitting in a hotel room going over Jewell trigger install videos for about the millionth time. Got the plan of attack for loading the Bergers. Finally ordered up a Karsten rest. Researching chassis.

Nothing will happen until home on Wednesday. Frown

Chassis? In stock! Also available in stock in coyote brown, and olive drab.
http://store.thirdgenerationsh...wse.cfm/4,23315.html

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Disassembled the reload room today. Basement flooded, had to tear out the laminate flooring. It'll get put back as soon as the water stops.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added a couple more pounds of TiteGroup to the collection today and wet tumbled 1,000 pcs of 9mm brass.

Posts: 2487 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Turned another 100 loaded cartridges into spent brass ringing steel at 840 yards.

I'm only 200 rounds away from the end of my Virgin lapua stash.. I need an annealer, and fast!

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I resisted. Too hot down here today, and it was Mothers' Day.

Did not want to irritate SWMBO on her day.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marathon prep over the snowy weekend. Sized, cleaned, primed 450 pcs of 6x47 brass, 300pcs 6.5x47, 200 pcs 6BR. Loaded 50 each of 6/6.5x47 to shoot on Tuesday.

A friend let me borrow his Hornady LNL AP. Messed around with that. Picked up 4lbs of TiteGroup last week. Ordering 7500 Montana Gold 124 JHP today, load at least half of those over the next two weeks.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have switched to casting and coating 38 bullets,damn its hot doing that today,so I stopped and will attack it about daylite tomorrow.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loaded another 300rds of 180 GR 40 S&W and went on another search for 38 SPL brass.
38's are as bad as find 22LR on A regular basis here!

Posts: 95 | Location: South Jersey | Registered: March 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Prepped 150 rounds of .308 brass this weekend, will hopefully get time to drop powder and seat bullets sometime this week so I can hit the 1000-yard range this weekend. Nothing exotic, just some 175 SMK loads using 8208 XBR. Just enough velocity out of my 22" barrel to get me to 1K yards which is all I need out of this rifle. Cool

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched the LNL over to reload 5.56. It had been a long time, so the going was slow. I only got 100 reloaded. I plan to make several hundred more over the coming days.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post