Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Orville Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Meh, I didn’t really see it as a mental health episode. A robot committing suicide, I could see that, in the context presented. As stated, he felt his presence was a distraction to the crew and may have hindered crew efficiency, so removing himself from the equation could be seen as the logical, emotionless solution. It’s a variation of a standard sci-fi trope of robots doing unexpected things to “help” humans, but not realizing the consequences because they really don’t understand humans. They could also be going for a storyline of an unemotional machine developing emotions, which is itself another sci-fi trope.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ If this was Star Trek and it was Data, we all know he would simply resign his commission instead of committing suicide. But this is Seth MacFarlane and this is somehow the only way he could discuss the issue of suicide, apparently. I was disappointed that they discovered a way to bring Isaac back to life. If the point of the episode was to show the effects of bullying resulting in suicide and the accompanying effect on the survivors, simply reviving him seems like it negates all that.

Is this how it's gonna be from now on? Can't have a morality topic without a fluffy, happy ending to counterbalance it?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you didn’t see the overwhelming aura of bullying, mental health issues, there’s other options to suicide, etc. I don’t know what to tell you. It’s like we watched different episodes.

As for robot suicide, well that’s just stupid on a bunch of levels. The most logical robot in the universe decides to off himself even though he’s the best chance humans have of surviving the robot wars. Oh ok. Plus we have to continue the ridiculous love story aspect.

Seth pull your head out of your ass.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Its Seth MacFarlane, its going to be stupid humor.

I thought it took a few episodes to find it's pace but I enjoyed the first season.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first season was stupid humor. If it continued that way we wouldn’t be talking about season 3. They turned it into a legit sci fi show.

This episode wasn’t funny at all. Humor wasn’t the issue. Suicide was. Of a robot.

Since I’m bitching anyway, lol, I also completely don’t understand why he pulled that chip out of the robot and asked for a weapon. No one had one so they stepped on it and he got what he wanted. That entire scene made no sense to me. What was in the crushed part? What would a weapon have done?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the second new episode. Pretty much a standard sci-fi episode, with a lot of hints of Alien/Aliens. Think the shots of the exterior of the space station and the Orville in dark starless space were actually pretty cool. Could do with less of the Doctor’s stupid kids. They need to go.

Do have to wonder how a completely depowered ship still had artificial gravity, or how there was any light at all to be able to see anything (I know, TV magic).

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Jesus have these guys not heard of protective gear? They wore it for all of like 10 min, so we KNOW they have it, then not at all after they found out how the thing was transferred, which would easily have protected them.

I mean bad stuff could still have happened despite the protective gear but it would have at least made more sense.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Could do with less of the Doctor and her stupid kids. They need to go.

Fixed.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Jesus have these guys not heard of protective gear? They wore it for all of like 10 min, so we KNOW they have it, then not at all after they found out how the thing was transferred, which would easily have protected them.

I mean bad stuff could still have happened despite the protective gear but it would have at least made more sense.

Correct, and something I frequently bitch about not seeing in fictional shows. "Oh looky at the weird goo/plant/critter/whatever"...better lean in and touch it without any PPE.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The third episode was interesting, although I thought it episode dragged in places. Guess the ending had a callback to the last episode of the first season, but I have to go back and watch again, because I don’t remember it. Even though the crew seemed a little slow on the uptake about what was going on, they still seem more competent than the crew of the Discoprise in ST:SNW.

Did have a stupid moment, though, when in a creepy place, a panel lights up, and the Security Chief (who, of all of them, should know better) just decides to go ahead an touch it.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting mashup I found on YouTube on how The Orville and Strange New Worlds deals with the same issue and I find it odd how one show treats it's audience with enough respect to figure out what they're doing while another has to spell everything out because their audience is as dumb and worthless as they are.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
OK, this was a decent episode. Nice action and a few twists, setting up a lot of potential for the future.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Episode 3 was trash.

"Hey, I mindfucked you for a bit but it's all good cuz nobody got hurt."
"S'all good."

What? If this was The Next Generation, Picard would have turned the tables on the antagonist and then delivered an insightful monologue about the effects and repercussions of what had transpired.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
So,watching episode 4. It seems to be a replay of the 2016 election.. except with green aliens.

And a little on abortion politics.

I hope there are at least some tantrums and meltdowns. Smile

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m tired of old stupid tropes. You go down to a space station in unexplored territory where you’ve been warned and one of your crew without any gear gets infected. Fine. He starts growing four fucking eyes and you don’t think to have him in any kind of quarantine. Hell you pull a ring out of his pocket for him. Do hospitals not use hospital gowns in the future? Touching infected by who knows what doesn’t let you catch stuff in the future? A simple locking door perhaps on his room?

The4th episode was crazy stupid. Only thing was. I couldn’t tell which candidate was Trump. Maybe all the Krill are Trump.

I also don’t like the profane cussing. No reason and I find it offensive. I’m a fucking puritan what can I say.

Not impressed by this season at all. The Dr is an awful character. Her kids are awful characters. If that fucking ensign ship driver talks over the captain one more time her blond ass would be sent to the engine room for awhile. We get it you don’t trust the robot. Get a new story for goodness sake. We know, they killed your friend. Who you quite casually let sacrifice herself to save you. Does that bother her that she didn’t even argue much about that? I’m going to go save you. Ok.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also don’t like the profane cussing. No reason and I find it offensive. I’m a fucking puritan what can I say.

There's some really cool stuff out there that is made stupid by the forced terrible language. One of the shorts on Netflix's Love/Death/Robots was pretty cool and an original ideal, I thought, about a space colony and an unmodded kid's trouble fitting in with the body-modded kids.

Future. Space settlement. Alien whales.

Yet for some reason saying "Fuck" is edgy?

It's probably similar in the Orville. It's a futuristic space show, yet the only edginess that the lazy writers can muster is edgy current day swearing.

Good job, idiots.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
...yet the only edginess that the lazy writers can muster is edgy current day swearing.
Ain't that the fracking truth! Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
When entering the atmosphere at Ludicrous Speed, the standard brief applies:

SIT DOWN
STRAP IN
SHUT THE FUCK UP
DON'T TOUCH NOTHING

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched episode 4, and I haven’t noticed a lot of cursing in the episode, or really in any of the episodes. Yeah, there may have been a few here and there, but nothing sticks out. There was far more (fake) cussing in BSG. I didn’t get the abortion politics part of episode, other than making some kind of statement. It didn’t seem to have anything to do with plot, and not including that scene wouldn’t have changed anything.

On the plus side, after watching the new Star Trek show, it’s good to see generally coherent storytelling and basically competent characters.