New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Orville Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The show is OK, I like the stupid humor and making fun of Star Trek. Good enough to watch before falling asleep, and not sad if I fall asleep before it ends. Solid C+.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20755 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Do you like Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, the movie TED, or Seth McFarlane in general? If the answer is no, you probably won't like The Orville.

Neither my wife nor I like the cartoons in the least, haven't seen TED and didn't know Seth McFarlane from Adam. We both like The Orville, tho.

quote:
Are you opposed to toilet humor, a campy and barely-not-a-parody version of Star Trek, that's never going to be truly serious sci-fi? If the answer is yes, you won't like The Orville.

They seem to have toned-down the toilet humour a bit.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I will love coming back to this thread in a year or so and seeing that The Orville is going strong while the execrable Star Trek: Discovery (STD, lol) has been cancelled.

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
does it bug anyone else that when they show the entire ship changing course, it banks or rolls ,

like an aircraft would ?

why would it do that? there is no air or wind to deal with.

I think it would bank or roll just because of the effect of inertia on the directional change. Unless it came to a complete stop and then changed course it would have to look something like that.

On the other hand, what about all of the sounds in space? Zooming by, explosions, etc., would all be silent, yet sci-fi has normally used sound effects, from Star Trek to Star Wars and more.

Explosions still make noise in a vacuum.

Actually, they don't. "Noise" is sound, and sound does not travel through a vacuum. If an object explodes in space, there is no matter to carry the vibrations, and thus no sound is transmitted.
If you are inside a ship with air and your ship explodes, you'll hear the explosion. But another ship at a distance, or a person in a space suit on a spacewalk, will not hear anything.

Think of it as the ultimate in sound insulation. There is no matter to carry the sound waves.

I'm sorry, this has been proven. The actual explosion itself makes a pressure wave of gas from the explosion that travels to our ears.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MljsHpYRk

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpvgTojsuMA

I'm sorry, but I watched those videos, and Cody is not too bright. Certainly an explosion can cause debris to fly out at speed, and when that debris impacts something, that impact will make a sound if there is air inside the thing impacted, ie. another ship. You would hear debris impacting your hull.

Cody's little vacuum chamber is so small that the explosion increases the air pressure in the chamber. Differences in air pressure is what we register as sound. In space, a ship exploding would not increase the air pressure in space to any measurable extent, and thus there is no sound.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sorry, but I watched those videos, and Cody is not too bright. Certainly an explosion can cause debris to fly out at speed, and when that debris impacts something, that impact will make a sound if there is air inside the thing impacted, ie. another ship. You would hear debris impacting your hull.

Cody's little vacuum chamber is so small that the explosion increases the air pressure in the chamber. Differences in air pressure is what we register as sound. In space, a ship exploding would not increase the air pressure in space to any measurable extent, and thus there is no sound.

A large explosion would certainly create enough pressure to be heard close by. I agree the vacuum and size of space would cause it to dissipate quickly but it still creates a pressure wave which we interpret as sound. How big the explosion has to be or how close you have to be to hear it is up for debate but it still makes a sound.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A large explosion would certainly create enough pressure to be heard close by. I agree the vacuum and size of space would cause it to dissipate quickly but it still creates a pressure wave which we interpret as sound. How big the explosion has to be or how close you have to be to hear it is up for debate but it still makes a sound.

There is no pressure wave where there is virtually no matter. Pressure waves exist in the atmosphere, or water, or possibly through solids. Not space. There is no sound in space. You can't hear explosions in space from one ship to another. You can't hear ships zooming by, as in the opening of Star Trek. You can't hear the big intergalactic ship rumbling by as in the opening of Star Wars. There just isn't sound in space. If by sound we are referring to something that can be heard by us.

http://curious.astro.cornell.e...ds-in-space-beginner

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Fish can’t talk either but Finding Nemo is still great. Big Grin Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7630 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

LOL

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I don't get all excited about the whole 'noise in space' thing. OF COURSE you wouldn't hear explosions and starship engines in space (at least, as they are portrayed in media). It's all about the Rule of Cool. It sounds cool to hear the explosions, the TIE fighter engines, etc. Firefly (and maybe the Battlestar reboot????) is the only show that I know of that played this accurately. It made for cool effects (the silence was sort of startling), but most shows don't do this.

Babylon 5 was the only show that really showed spaceflight as what many would consider 'accurate.' Their Star Fury fighters, for example, would fly in one direction, pivot 180 degrees, and shoot backwards while still flying on their original course. However, IIRC only the Star Furies did this. The capital ships more or less followed the Star Trek/Star Wars model.

I'd rather complain about bad acting, bad plots, and overt politically-motivated antics (such as STBig Grin doing their stupid "kneeling/support for nfl thugs" bit) in movies and tv shows.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

True Smile, but...

I was impressed by the Firefly episode Out of Gas, in which there was a fire aboard and the crew vents the ship to quench it. They switched to a third person view from space and you heard nothing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the inaccurate portrayal of sound-it's never bothered me. I just commented about it being more unrealistic than the flight paths. All of my piling on was just in response to Scurvy, who seems to think otherwise.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In the opening sequence of the first of the new Trek reboots, a big hole is blown into the side of Kirk's dad's ship, a dude gets blown out and bounces off some thing outside, and the sound goes from screaming to silence as he gets blown outside, or something like that, IIRC.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the opening sequence of the first of the new Trek reboots, a big hole is blown into the side of Kirk's dad's ship, a dude gets blown out and bounces off some thing outside, and the sound goes from screaming to silence as he gets blown outside, or something like that, IIRC.

Yeah, that was a cool use of 'realism.'. .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So just watching Majority Rule. This show gets better and better and has some great take aways. Mob rule is bad etc.

The show is a nice mix of TNG, Voyager and Sliders.

It’s what I call a happy show. Eureka, Warehouse 13 etc, brisco county jr. etc. these are happy shows. We need more HAPPY shows.

Even if the fish talk and sharks swim backwards. Wink

Posts: 7630 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wow watching the into the void episode and Isaac gives the kids a weapon and a quick training and this will increase your chances of survival....... I haven’t seen this since Johnny Quest.

This show has some solid underlying themes.
-the crew largely against gender reassignment
-the dangers of religious fundamentalism
-the overt episode decrying mob rule and just because the majority believes it doesn’t make it knowldge or right
-now the weapon can save your life

Yeah it’s a lightish show that borrows heavily from others and at times inserts too much forced comedy......but damn it’s got some solid sci-fi scathing looks at current events as well and not in a way of all X political supporters are mongoloid, prehistoric monsters either.

This is a solid show and I gotta say I am kinda impressed with Seth McFarland. I feel like he sold Family Guy in space to really get what he wanted which is pretty solid Sci-fi old school Trek.

Is it art.....no. But it’s way more than it’s wrapper would lead you to believe.

Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice in the beginning credits they list Brannon Bragga as a producer? He did the Star Treks from Next Gen to Enterprise

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3808 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow watching the into the void episode and Isaac gives the kids a weapon and a quick training and this will increase your chances of survival....... I haven’t seen this since Johnny Quest.

This show has some solid underlying themes.
-the crew largely against gender reassignment
-the dangers of religious fundamentalism
-the overt episode decrying mob rule and just because the majority believes it doesn’t make it knowldge or right
-now the weapon can save your life

And the doctor used a firearm to kill her captor in order to escape and get to her kids.

Anybody notice those energy weapons had no sighting apparatus?

In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
I noticed that...Same with Star Trek....I always assumed that they had some sort of holographic sighting system only visible from directly behind the weapon.....

Maybe that's reaching, but its what I tell myself.

Cheers
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
I noticed that...Same with Star Trek....I always assumed that they had some sort of holographic sighting system only visible from directly behind the weapon.....

Maybe that's reaching, but its what I tell myself.

Cheers
Jaycat

Pretty sure Trek weapons mostly had no sights either. It's the only way to explain how poorly they shoot.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
A directed energy weapon would be direct line of sight. Point and shoot. The rear of the weapon itself could be the "sight" as the beam travels in a perfectly straight line (barring lensing effects of atmosphere and gravity that would be irrelevant at the distances we are talking).

A detonation in a small vacuum chamber would produce sound because the volume of expanding gas created by the expansion itself would at least momentarily be larger than the containment vessel. In a true vacuum, or even the not quite vacuum of space, the vented gas would be completely insignificant compared to the vast emptiness around it. Case in point, we have a massive ongoing thermonuclear explosion at the center of our solar system that produces nearly inconceivable amounts of energy. Listen closely. Can you hear it?

Explosions make sound and space ships bank in space shows because it looks and sounds cool. I find these much less annoying than everyone in the universe speaking English (Stargate SG1 didn't even have the benefit of the "Universal Translator") or sub light ships evading energy weapons that should be traveling at the speed of light.

I'm really liking this show as it goes on. It isn't anything like I thought it would be.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post