Find
Notify
Tools

The Orville Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
OK, maybe I will give Orville another chance.

*Snipped. See post above for a well done review*

Really struggled to like the Orville on the first episode, and I missed the second one.

However, it has consistently grown on me with each episode after that.

Inspired by the review above, I'm changing my signature line. For a while at least.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
does it bug anyone else that when they show the entire ship changing course, it banks or rolls ,

like an aircraft would ?

why would it do that? there is no air or wind to deal with.

Because it looks cool.

We aren't used to seeing vehicles operating outside the limits of Earth's gravity, and even though they could theoretically turn without banking, it would just look weird.

The way they do it gives the flight scenes a sense of elegance that would otherwise be missing. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I thought it might have something to do with inertia and the conservation of motion. But I'm not a scientist or engineer so I could be wrong.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and they look pretty damn aerodynamic for a structure that will never an atmosphere

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renewed for season 2!!!

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It continues to gain momentum. What an entertaining show.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I saw that (renewal).

I think the episodes are getting better as they go.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I'm actually enjoying watching it. The last few episodes have focused on the other characters and have had great stories. I really liked the last one with the Doctor, her kids, and Issac.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm actually enjoying watching it. The last few episodes have focused on the other characters and have had great stories. I really liked the last one with the Doctor, her kids, and Issac.

I agree. Seems to be getting better. Though the one with the first officer in a dress... that was pretty nice.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Last night's episode reminded me of "The Ascent" from ST-DS9, where Odo and Quark crashed landed on what looked like the Sierra mountains.

Having "Cassidy Yates" on the show helps make the connection with DS9. Smile

Issac is not bad as a poor man's Data.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
Last night's episode reminded me of "The Ascent" from ST-DS9, where Odo and Quark crashed landed on what looked like the Sierra mountains.

Having "Cassidy Yates" on the show helps make the connection with DS9. Smile

Issac is not bad as a poor man's Data.

You know, if they didn't let Star Trek completely die on the vine with questionable reboots and two not good prequel series, I don't think we'd be as accepting of The Orville as we are.

I am thoroughly enjoying the show and happy to see a 'classic' Trek style show on TV. I think A LARGE portion of that is that we haven't had any good Trek since Voyager went off the air in 2001.

If Star Trek was still going strong with new series continuing the continuity, I think a lot of us would have our pitchforks out at this 'obvious Trek ripoff'.

Paramount has no one to blame but themselves for this. They fostered an environment where the formula could copied and everyone celebrates it for that.

I think the audience will continue to grow as it finds its feet. I know for a fact that there are a lot of old school Trek people who are slowly coming around to it.

Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd give Orville a try. Watched the first two episodes.

This show just plain sucks.

Yet, to my amazement, some of you who have in the past shown yourselves to be pretty discriminating people with good taste seem to like it. What redeeming characteristics are some of you seeing in it?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

Yet, to my amazement, some of you who have in the past shown yourselves to be pretty discriminating people with good taste seem to like it. What redeeming characteristics are some of you seeing in it?

I'd say ride it out and you'll be rewarded with some great episodes. It likely depends on your likes for which one hooks you but theres something for everyone here I think. I remember being intrigued at first and now I just plain look forward to new episodes.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Do you like Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, the movie TED, or Seth McFarlane in general? If the answer is no, you probably won't like The Orville.

Are you opposed to toilet humor, a campy and barely-not-a-parody version of Star Trek, that's never going to be truly serious sci-fi? If the answer is yes, you won't like The Orville.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

I had a similar opinion for the first two episodes but it gets much better. Give the other episodes a try.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I've never liked Star Trek and really like this show. It's actually more serious than I thought the creator was capable of and that is a pleasant surprise for me.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
does it bug anyone else that when they show the entire ship changing course, it banks or rolls ,

like an aircraft would ?

I think it would bank or roll just because of the effect of inertia on the directional change. Unless it came to a complete stop and then changed course it would have to look something like that.

On the other hand, what about all of the sounds in space? Zooming by, explosions, etc., would all be silent, yet sci-fi has normally used sound effects, from Star Trek to Star Wars and more.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
quote:

like an aircraft would ?

I think it would bank or roll just because of the effect of inertia on the directional change. Unless it came to a complete stop and then changed course it would have to look something like that.

On the other hand, what about all of the sounds in space? Zooming by, explosions, etc., would all be silent, yet sci-fi has normally used sound effects, from Star Trek to Star Wars and more.

Explosions still make noise in a vacuum.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
quote:

like an aircraft would ?

Actually, they don't. "Noise" is sound, and sound does not travel through a vacuum. If an object explodes in space, there is no matter to carry the vibrations, and thus no sound is transmitted.
If you are inside a ship with air and your ship explodes, you'll hear the explosion. But another ship at a distance, or a person in a space suit on a spacewalk, will not hear anything.

Think of it as the ultimate in sound insulation. There is no matter to carry the sound waves.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
quote:

like an aircraft would ?

Actually, they don't. "Noise" is sound, and sound does not travel through a vacuum. If an object explodes in space, there is no matter to carry the vibrations, and thus no sound is transmitted.
If you are inside a ship with air and your ship explodes, you'll hear the explosion. But another ship at a distance, or a person in a space suit on a spacewalk, will not hear anything.

Think of it as the ultimate in sound insulation. There is no matter to carry the sound waves.

I'm sorry, this has been proven. The actual explosion itself makes a pressure wave of gas from the explosion that travels to our ears.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MljsHpYRk

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpvgTojsuMA