SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Anyone have any good leads on the life of the American Indian? Not modern day but more historical. I went through all 25 pages and found very little to look at.

I'll add a few to TMats list:

"The Heart of Everything That Is - The Untold Story of Red Cloud an American Legend" Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

"Blood and Thunder - An Epic of the American West" Hampton Sides

"Once They Moved Like the Wind- Cochise, Geronimo and the Apache Wars" David Roberts

This one is a little more contemporary but very good "Killers of the Flower Moon - The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI" David Grann

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Dragon Teeth" by Micheal Crichton.
I grabbed it from, I think, Bookbub for my kindle and it wasn't what I expected, judging the book by the cover, a T-Rex skull.

Instead it was a mostly fictional account of a Yale student going out west around the 1870's to dig for one of two real life paleontologists who hated each other.

The student is quite soft but time in Indian country (Montana Badlands) and the lawless west, he gets separated from his group before finally returning w/ a wagon of fossils to school, a changed man.

Not the best MC novel but I enjoyed it. Published after his death w/ the help of his wife, etc. from manuscripts he had started on awhile back, way before his death, as I understand it.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am half way through Brad Thor's new book RISING TIGER. It's excellent. I like it a lot.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
"The War on the West" by Douglas Murray

Just ordered this. Looking forward to it.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
An older one, but right now, Baldacci's The Camel Club.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I just bought "Log of a cowboy", not a Brokeback Mountain cowboy book, lol. It is an 1882 book written by a Georgia boy who moves to Texas and goes on his first cattle drive of 3000 miles a 5 month journey. It is fiction but based on his experiences as a cowboy.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got back from vacation last weekend. I usually take a handful of books to read while on the beach. I read “ Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew” by Michael Leinbach and Jonathan Ward, “Unfuck America” by Mike Ritland and am about halfway through “Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty” by Patrick Radden Keefe.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I just finished Lightning Down by Tom Clavin
One helluva book about a WW2 fighter pilot from right here in Washington state

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Eyes Pried Open: Rookie FBI Agent

A story about a guy who saw too many movies about FBI agents, thought they were reality and joined the FBI. He didn't like most parts of it, thought it was too much like the military at the Academy, didn't want to work over 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, was sure they weren't utilizing his particular skills and talents and quit before reaching the 2 year mark.

Kind of a crybaby book.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Reading The Book of Two Guns: The Martial Art of the 1911 Pistol and AR by Tiger McKee. Really unusual in that it is handwriting on all of the pages, taken from notes he's taken as he's learned in training from many of the masters. But it is a fascinating read.

Also reading Good Hunting: The Pursuit of Big Game in the West by Theodore Roosevelt. It's only 41 pages, just 4 short stories about game he has hunted. I've only read the first so far, but it's very interesting.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
I just bought "Log of a cowboy", not a Brokeback Mountain cowboy book, lol. It is an 1882 book written by a Georgia boy who moves to Texas and goes on his first cattle drive of 3000 miles a 5 month journey. It is fiction but based on his experiences as a cowboy.
Teddy Blue Abbott, right?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by wingfoot:
Teddy Blue Abbott, right?

Not sure of that name, did a search of it and did not produce a hit. I’m about a quarter of the way through it.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Log of a Cowboy is Andy Adams. Teddy Blue Abbott wrote We Pointed Them North. I have both these books in my collection, just don’t have enough shelf space to have them all out; something my wife would like me to remedy.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Log of a Cowboy is Andy Adams. Teddy Blue Abbott wrote We Pointed Them North. I have both these books in my collection, just don’t have enough shelf space to have them all out; something my wife would like me to remedy.

I may have to check that one out. I found Cowboy Log from wiki when reading about Lonesome Dove, not sure if that meant McMurtry used that as an idea for Lonesome Dove or not.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
And reading 1066 and Before All That: The Battle of Hastings, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England. First in a series of short books on British history - interesting with humor injected into the writing.
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Reading The Book of Two Guns: The Martial Art of the 1911 Pistol and AR by Tiger McKee. Really unusual in that it is handwriting on all of the pages, taken from notes he's taken as he's learned in training from many of the masters. But it is a fascinating read.

Also reading Good Hunting: The Pursuit of Big Game in the West by Theodore Roosevelt. It's only 41 pages, just 4 short stories about game he has hunted. I've only read the first so far, but it's very interesting.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post

Rereading "Adobe Walls the History and Archeology of the 1874 Trading Post" by T. Lindsay Baker and Billy R. Hamiliton in prep for a possible return trip to the site in September.

The photo shows the location of the 1500+ yard shot by Billy Dixon.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"Maximum Bob" by Elmore Leonard.

I know, I know, but I am an enthusiast of classical Florida historical/cultural documentaries. Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m listening to Atlas Shrugged, if that counts.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
An older one, but right now, Baldacci's The Camel Club.

There are 5.5 books (one is a "novella") in the Camel Club series, and they are all good.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm reading Larry Correia's first Grimnoir book, Hard Magic.

I just finished the first Gray Man book, and wanted something more light-hearted.
I really enjoyed the Monster Hunter series-I think I've read all the ones written by Larry Correia, and got a kick out of the Memoir books basically written by John Ringo.
As you probably know, Correia is a certified gun nut. He has a book coming out in January, In Defense of the Second Amendment.
So he's one of us, even more so.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post