SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Or more. She's straight up psycho.

As Sheldon said, "Bitches be cray-cray".

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Started Bad Blood, about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos, and how they bilked investors out of over a billion dollars by faking the results of a revolutionary product they were trying to bring to market. Very interesting so far.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Over the years, reporters for the WSJ have uncovered all kinds of nefarious activites. The trial has been interesting. She deserves 20 years.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Tracing Time - Seasons of Rock Art on the Colorado Plateau". Craig Childs is a very good writer who goes out and explores the areas where long gone Indian cultures lived.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I just finished The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande. Subtitled How to Get Things Right. Highly suggested.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
About half way through volume 1 of the 4-volume biography of Robert E Lee by Douglass Southall Freeman. After that I’ve got the 3 volume set of Lee's Lieutenants: A Study in Command, by the same author.

Yep, those will keep me busy for a little while.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a few I am currently reading:
Books 2+3 of this series:

The Outside Man (A Matt Drake Novel)
Without Sanction (A Matt Drake Thriller)
Hostile Intent (A Matt Drake Novel)

By Don Bentley (A former FBI Special Agent, SWAT Team member, and Army Apache helicopter pilot.)

On the heavier side:

Battle for Skyline Ridge
The CIA Secret War in Laos
by Parker, James E.

The Spymaster of Baghdad
A True Story of Bravery, Family, and Patriotism in the Battle Against ISIS

No Shadows in the Desert: Murder, Vengeance, and Espionage in the War Against ISIS
By Samuel Katz

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Very light reading, but I've been getting into the Stone Barrington stories by Stuart Woods.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished Bad Blood, and am on to Sons of Valor, the first book in a series in the same universe as the Tier One series, which I have discussed here:

Tier One Book Series

Man, Bad Blood was crazy. But I've experienced some of the same behaviors in jobs I've had in the IT industry. The worst part is that there were patients who relied on their data that died or had other conditions result from that bad data, and that they have no recompense.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I recently finished Down River by John Hart. It won the Edger Award for 2008. It was well worth the read.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Death Comes for the Archbishop. Willa Cather. Set in New Mexico from 1850 to almost 1900. Story of two French Catholic missionaries who establish a diocese in Santa Fe. I thought it was really good.

Tonight starting In the Blood, the new Jack Carr thriller.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago while watching Boardwalk Empire, I decided that I'd have to read Sinclair Lewis' "Free Air". Just finished reading it on Kindle and greatly enjoyed it. It seemed to be to be both oddly dated and very contemporary.

Just started Clay Martin's "Prairie Fire". Sort of a manual for rural prep for a civil war.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The Sackett Series. I'm about 7 or 8 books in.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed the Louis L'Amour I have read. Conagher in particular.
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
The Sackett Series. I'm about 7 or 8 books in.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished book 1 in the Sons of Valor series - it's a lot like the first book in the Tier One series.

Reading Couple Found Slain for True Crime book club; it's about a man who murdered his abusive and neglectful parents and his life in an insane asylum after his conviction. It's so angering how horrible parents can damage a whole family.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Since I posted last it has been mostly but not all military non fiction nothing new just rereads.
dune
shoot to kill
reflections of a warrior
lone survivor
the commandos
mike force
the last punisher
no easy day
red platoon
into the fire
american sniper
lions of kandahar
outlaw platoon
house to house

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

While waiting for Library holds, I've been working my way through John Connolly's Charlie Parker series. The books are sort of long, which I like. Connolly is apparently well-read, as he has had me running to DDG to look up word meanings. Parker is a former NYPD detective, turned PI. The series starts out with his having lost his wife and daughter, who were blinded/flayed and murdered by a serial killer. Parker has a close relationship with a gay couple who are burglar and private assassin. They are always involved watching his six. Good mystery/action books with a laid back narrative.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I started reading Larry Correia's Monster Hunters International series, and have now read through book 5, Monster Hunter: Nemesis. It's been enjoyable, but they are quite intense.

Then I discovered a series Monster Hunter: Memoirs. It was basically written by SF writer John Ringo who loved the MHI universe and wanted to write something into that. It ended up as a collaboration between Ringo and Correia.

The great thing about the Memoirs series (3 books) is that they are much more light-hearted. They continue with the obsessive descriptions of firearms and explosives, and even step it up a notch. Then they add "off-screen" sex to the mix.

In these times when I can't stand to read the news and even right-wing sites are too depressing, I needed some red-blooded male entertainment that is humorous and not too dark. This is perfect for that.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Finished reading Jack Carr's "The Terminal List" and started "True Believer". Going to watch the series on Prime when I have the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Just started "Killing The Killers" by Bill O'Reilly.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently:

The Panzer Killers: The Untold Story of a Fighting General and His Spearhead Tank Division's Charge into the Third Reich

D-Day Tank Hunter: The World War II memoirs of a frontline officer from Africa to the bloody soil of Normandy

by Hans Hoeller

Previously:

The Devil's Trident
by George Norris (I finished this up today)

Without Sanction (A Matt Drake Thriller)
Hostile Intent (A Matt Drake Novel)

By Don Bentley (A former FBI Special Agent, SWAT Team member, and Army Apache helicopter pilot.)

Battle for Skyline Ridge
The CIA Secret War in Laos
by Parker, James E.

The Spymaster of Baghdad
A True Story of Bravery, Family, and Patriotism in the Battle Against ISIS

No Shadows in the Desert: Murder, Vengeance, and Espionage in the War Against ISIS
By Samuel Katz

Black Ops: The Life of a CIA Shadow Warrior by Ric Prado

Brothers In Arms: One Legendary Tank Regiments Bloody War From D-Day to VE-Day by James Holland

To the Uttermost Ends of the Earth: The Epic Hunt for the South's Most Feared Ship―and the Greatest Sea Battle of the Civil War

40 Thieves on Saipan: The Elite Marine Scout-Snipers in One of WWII's Bloodiest Battles
by Joseph Tachovsky (Author), Cynthia Kraack

Damn Lucky

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Death Comes for the Archbishop. Willa Cather. Set in New Mexico from 1850 to almost 1900. Story of two French Catholic missionaries who establish a diocese in Santa Fe. I thought it was really good.

An incredible book. I’ve read it three times now. It’s one of those books you can read again and again and get something out of on each read.

It prompted me to read Cather’s ‘Prairie Trilogy’, of which I think ‘My Antonia’ is the best.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6372 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post