SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tier One Book Series
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tier One Book Series Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
I wanted to pass along a recommendation for a book series I've been enjoying - the Tier One series by Andrews and Wilson.

I was looking for something different. Most of the fiction I read has been solo super-hero types in civilian clothing, such as Jack Reacher, John Milton, Mitch Rapp, or detective fiction (Matt Scudder), or westerns. I was looking for something that covered teams of heroes.

The Tier One series starts out focusing on a single SEAL but on a SEAL team, but as events transpire through the books, it spreads out to cover more people on a different kind of team and incorporates both espionage and some mild politics.

I'm on book 4 (out of 6 so far). The writing is close to Vince Flynn, and not quite as substantive as Tom Clancy's early stuff (I haven't read any Clancy past Rainbow Six). They do get some small gun stuff wrong, but overall, they're pretty good. (Calling a .300 WSM rifle bolt a slide, for example, and the trope of carrying a pistol in the small of the back without a holster - has anyone ever really done that?)

If you have any other recommendations along this line, please let me know.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Just got book 1 for free from Amazon prime.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Thanks. Just got book 1 for free from Amazon prime.

Let me know what you think of it. I think it would make a pretty good series or set of movies.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I just finished book 4 and am still enjoying the series. The series, so far, is divided into two trilogies. I realized that one of the things I like is that the antagonists aren't politically correct. In the first trilogy, Iran is the main enemy, and in the second, Russia.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've had book 1 sitting in my Kindle queue for months, I just couldn't seem to get into it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a free copy of the first book when it came out, but never read the others. Enjoyed it enough to re-read it this week and am looking forward to the others, now that I have Kindle Unlimited. Thanks!

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I finished book 5 (Red Specter), and it's still quite good. I have one nit-pick with the ending, and a M&P Shield changed from .40S&W to 9mm within the space of a few pages.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
I finished book 5 (Red Specter), and it's still quite good. I have one nit-pick with the ending, and a M&P Shield changed from .40S&W to 9mm within the space of a few pages.

I thought I had imagined that and had to go back and reread that section. On the final book now. Lookign forward to the other novellas/series they have written to accompany Tier 1.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

I thought I had imagined that and had to go back and reread that section. On the final book now. Looking forward to the other novellas/series they have written to accompany Tier 1.

Ha! Me, too. Reading the Orvis Guide to Wingshooting before I get to #6. And me, too!

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ll take a look, thanks. I had a chance to meet a couple of guys from DevGru who came up to my district to explore whether or not they should purchase sleds for missions. That’s obviously a random aside, but it was interesting to spend some time with them.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The P365 makes an appearance in book 6! Ha!

I'm about a quarter of the way into book 6, and wow, is it good. They're gradually integrating more geopolitics into the stories as they move along, which I suppose is natural with Russia the primary enemy in this book.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
About half-way through book 6, Crusader, and wow, it has become much more Tom Clancy-like this go around. Excellent plot and writing.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished book 6 (Collateral) and it was excellent. They left it open for a book 7.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading book 1 in another series by Andrews and Wilson, Dark Intercept: The Shepherds Series book 1.

This book is different from the Tier One series in that it's Christian fiction. Not my normal fare, and it took a little getting used to, but it was pretty good. Had a lot of spiritual warfare aspects to it, with some special ops thrown in. I haven't decided whether I'll continue the series, but it's likely.

They have another series, Sons of Valor, which I haven't read yet, and they authored a book in one of W.E.B. Griffin's series called Rogue Asset, which I also haven't read.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I finished the first book in the Sons of Valor series, and it was great! Reminded me a lot of the first book in the Tier One series.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The seventh book in the series, Dempsey, comes out 2/21/23. I've already got it pre-ordered.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Dempsey is on sale today for $0.99 on Kindle.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update! Just downloaded it and looking forward to reading it later today.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
They just announced book 8: Ember, due 7/2/24.

I really didn't like book 7: Dempsey. It was basically the authors' fantasy of attempting to assassinate Putin (Vladimir Petrov in the novel). I found the entire book implausible.

I hope Ember brings them back to the core of the series.

Phone's ringing, Dude.