SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Dark Sky by C.J. Box

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I just finished reading Kurt Schlichter's People's Republic and Indian Country, back to back. I'd like to find more like them.

I just finished Kurt Schlichter's People's Republic and now plan to read Indian Country next week.

His next one, "The Split" is coming in June.

The Split is out today.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Finished Joe Bonanno’s autobiography. Those tough guys sure acted like a bunch of middle school girls with all the this guy said this about me nonsense leading to murders.

Now reading Graham Nash’s. Cocaine. So much cocaine. The Crosby stories are bonkers.

I may have to pic up Nash's book

once I finish Nevilles, I have Costellos' book to read, and Lydon put out another IIRC that I'll pick up

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Currently working on "Medic! How I Fought WW2 with Morphine, Sulfa, and Iodine Swabs" by Robert Franklin.

It's the memoirs of "Doc Joe", a combat medic with the 45th Infantry Division fighting in Italy and Southern France during WW2.

Interestingly, he was trained to be a clerk for a medical unit, but then just before shipping out was reassigned as a combat medic to an infantry unit, without any specific medical training. He freely admits that he made a number of mistakes due to his lack of training, but also shows great courage and ingenuity in doing the best he can with the minimal skills and equipment he had.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A week or so ago I read Admiral McRaven's Make Your Bed. It's a 90-minute read, and I highly recommend it. I've lent it to two of my work friends already.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Pale Rider: The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How It Changed the World, Laura Spinney 2017

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just started reading Total Loss: A Collection of 45 First-hand Accounts of Yacht Losses at Sea written by Jack Coote. So far it’s been incredibly interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heatinajeep:
Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

What did you think of them?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Michael Connelly, Bosch Series "The Crossing"

2nd Bosch book Ive read...very well written with an engaging plot

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Dark Sky by C.J. Box

Deja Vu. So am I. Just finished Without Fail, a Jack Reacher Novel.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Sidelines and Bloodlines

A great book for the college football fan in early August. Very amusing tale of the game from view of an official. Loved it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished The River of Doubt, which was pretty good.

Now I'm on to The American President: A Complete History by Kathryn Moore. I've only just finished George Washington, and am quite enjoying it. Readable, with just the right amount of detail. I've always wanted to read a book that covers all of the Presidents.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
While I'm still reading The American Presidents (I'm on Andrew Jackson), last night I also started The Gulag Archipelago. I've been wanting to read it for years.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by heatinajeep:
Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

What did you think of them?

Sorry, I don't visit as often as I used to.

Easily one of my favorite series of this type if you are into the type fiction.

I'm just about done and pretty butthurt about it lol

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
So often I have a hard time deciding what to read. I didn't really get started on Gulag, but intend to get back to it; I also tried Dune and the first book in The Wheel of Time series, but am not in the mood for them.

However, I did start Jack Carr's The Terminal List, and it's pretty good for a first novel. I'm still reading The American Presidents - I just finished Franklin Pierce.
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
While I'm still reading The American Presidents (I'm on Andrew Jackson), last night I also started The Gulag Archipelago. I've been wanting to read it for years.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Devil’s Hand. Jack Carr. I’m about halfway through it, and think it’s his best thus far.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just finished the first Harry Bosch series book, The Black Echo. It was outstanding.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm reading William Lindsay Gresham's Nightmare Alley, the novel upon which the 1947 film noir of the same name is based. I hear Hollywood has decided they need to remake this film and that it's in the works. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Foundation by Asimov is my current read.

I've been on a bit of a sci-fi classics kick lately.
- Starship Troopers by Heinlein
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by PKD
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams
- Game of Thrones by Martin
- Lots of short stories by PKD

Probably read Hyperion next. I read voraciously growing up, but never got into science fiction for whatever reason. Making up for lost time now.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the last year, I have had less time to read/listen to books. Instead of the average of 110 a year, I ended up with about 25. (edit, over 50 in the last year)

I have a couple of series that are good reads.

Author: Eric Ugland. The three series from him are dime-store paperback stuff, but as for enjoyable reads, they are consistently good.
Series:
The Good Guys Series (B-)
The Bad Guy Series (B+/A-)
Roseland (A--)

Author: Benedict Jacka; I came across this series years ago from an interview with Jim Butcher. It is a good read.
Series: Alex Verus
Book 11 Forged. (this book Solid B, The series is B+)

Author: Steven Pressfield
Book: Gates of Fire (Solid A+)
It pulls you in, without ever overdoing it. The whole of it is fantastically done.

Authors: Jason Anspach, Nick Cole
Series: Galaxys Edge book 4.5 Imperator (C+)
Try as I might, I can't get into this series. I have since listened to two more. It's a good C+ series.

Author: Craig Johnson
Series: Walt Longmire Book 16 Next to last Stand. (C for the book, B+ for the series.)
The more I read of series, the more I realize like good tv shows. For the majority of them, five books, or seasons is the max. After that, they die off fast.

Author: Peter Nealen
Series: Maelstrom Rising (A) Holding Action (Book Two C++)
This is the first of his books I read, the story is told differently than most books, and the whole of it is more engaging. It is good indie stuff.

Author: W.J.Lundy
Series: The invasion trilogy. The darkness, The Shadows (Books one and two are solid A stuff, I have not finished book 3)
This is the first semi-horror book I have liked. Ever.

Author: Larry Correia/John Brown
Series: Gun Runner (C)
It lacked Larries distinctive magic.

Author: Marko Kloos
Series: Frontlines (C, you can see here that he has shifted his thoughts to his palladium series. In play is also that rule of 5. This is book 7)

Orphan x and grey man both book six and book 10 respectively are solid C+ books wood weekend reads.

Author: Olan Thorensen
Series: The Janus Harbinger (D)
I love his other books, but this was a fucking stinker. I listened to 9 other novels while trying to finish this turd.

Author: Drew Hayes
Series: 5 minute Sherlock Books 1 and 2. (B level reads/listens fun pulp stuff.)
Series: Villians Code, Bones of the past book 2 (Good stuff B+/A-)

Author: Jack Carr
Series: Terminal list, The devels Hand. (C+)
I will put the caveat, that this is basically 'I am Pilgrim' and just does not quite live up to his previous two books. The fact that the story so closely resembles I am pilgrim is why I was a bit harsher. It is not that I am pilgrim was original in any way, it in my opinion sets the bar for this type of story.

I have 3 dozen lit RPG books I won't bother to cover.

Author: Nathan Lowell
Series: The wizards Butler. (Solid A pulp fiction stuff.)

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post