SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I've been putting together some leadership / culture training for work. Largely based on the "OODA Loop" by COL Boyd.

Boyd, John: A discourse on winning and losing. Maxwell Air Force Base, AL: Air University Library Document No. M-U 43947, 1987 (Briefing slides)

Burlingham, B.: The 7 Defining Characteristics of Evergreen Companies, Inc. Magazine, October 2015

Deming, W. Edwards: Out of the Crisis, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA 1982

Clausewitz, Karl von: On War, trans. Michael Howard and Peter Paret, Princeton, NJ, 1976

Dweck, Carol S.: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, Ballantine Books, New York, NY 2007

Department of Defense: Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication 1, Warfighting, Washington D.C., 1997

Lind, William S.; Maneuver Warfare Handbook, Westview Press, Boulder, CO, 1985

Klein, Gary: Sources of Power, How People Make Decisions, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1999.

Osinga, Frans P.B.: Science, Strategy and War – the strategic theory of John Boyd, Routledge, New York, NY, 2007

Pink, Daniel H.: Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, Riverhead Books, New York, NY, 2011

Richards, Chet: Certain to Win – The Strategy of John Boyd Applied to Business, Xlibris 2004

Shanteau, J. Competence in experts: The role of task characteristics. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 1992

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
The Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
War of Shadows: Codebreakers, Spies, and the Secret Struggle to Drive the Nazis from the Middle East, Gershom Gorenberg 2021.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I just finished "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. What a great book...I was kind of let down when it ended, I so enjoyed the story(ies).

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Great historical novel about the Spartans at Thermopylae.
Now into another by him, The Afghan Campaign about Alexander the Great’s march against the Persians throughout that region.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Red Storm Rising. All the recent talk about the earlier Clancy novels had me feeling nostalgic enough to buy it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
"The Forgotten 500" by Gregory Freeman about the rescue of downed airman from Yugoslavia. Another good one was "A Woman of No Importance" by Sonia Purnell, about WWII spy Virginia Hall, what a story!!

Not a history buff but both really was amazed at these heroes.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
just picked up Neville Staples book,

The Original Rude Boy,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Crazy Horse and Custer, Stephen E. Ambrose 1975.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rereading Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
General Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography I'll Never be So Lucky Again. That man had an amazing life and career. The Tokyo raid was just a small but the best known part of it.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. (He is also the author of The Martian which was made into a movie). I just read that he sold the movie rights to this book for 3 million dollars. The movie has already been cast.

If you liked The Martian, you should like this.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I am reading a book I picked up in a goodwill store. The book was published in 1961 and is titled "The Lonely Land", written by Sigurd Olson. It is an account of Olson and a group of his friends retracing one of the journeys of the 17th and 18th century Voyageurs down the Churchill River in northern Saskatchewan from Ile de la Crosse to Cumberland House, a distance of some 500 miles or so in open canoes.

I may karma it off when I'm done.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Dean Koontz has written a number of short stories about ‘Nameless’. The current crop consists of 6 books that I downloaded for free on Amazon to my Kindle Oasis. They are about a one day read.

7/4 Update. I just finished the final book and really enjoyed this batch of 6 books. Koontz is a wizard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Killer Show: The Station Nightclub Fire, America's Deadliest Rock Concert, John Barylick 2012

posted Hide Post
Finished Joe Bonanno’s autobiography. Those tough guys sure acted like a bunch of middle school girls with all the this guy said this about me nonsense leading to murders.

Now reading Graham Nash’s. Cocaine. So much cocaine. The Crosby stories are bonkers.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm caught up on a bunch of spy/action authors, so I've been starting up on David Baldacci. I enjoyed the A Shaw series (all 2 of them) and am liking the first Amos Decker book.

Also just finished "The Benedict Option" by Rod Dreher and about to start "Fault Lines" by Voddie Baucham, about the dangers of the "social justice" movement.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
...David Baldacci. I enjoyed the A Shaw series (all 2 of them) and am liking the first Amos Decker book.
Reading his Sean King & Michelle Maxwell #5, The Sixth man. Going to check out the A Shaw series. I'm caught up on Amos Decker.

posted Hide Post
The Cold Vanish. By Jon Billman. Its about the searches for missing people in our National Parks. Local author, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Going back and forth between Bill O’Reilly’s Killing series, and re-reading all the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series. I’ve read the Killing books on Reagan, Lincoln and the mob, now I am reading Killing the SS. They are pretty decent books.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post