SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

… I've been working my way through John Connolly's Charlie Parker series.

I’ve read several of the Charlie Parker books. I find them excellent reads, but very depressing as well.

I say that not as a criticism, but as interpreting what I think that’s what Connolly is intending for the reader as Parker deals with the loss of his wife and daughter and searches for their killer.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6372 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^
quote:
I’ve read several of the Charlie Parker books. I find them excellent reads, but very depressing as well.

Along those lines, take a look at Affliction by Russell Banks.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
”Smugglers Cove” : Birth of the tiki culture and the drinks, the history, and making of the various types of rum.

”And a Bottle of Rum, a History of the New World in Ten Cocktails” : traces the history of rum in the New World and how it came into fashion in each era from pre-Colonial times through today.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Finished "Couple Found Slain", and am on to "Call For The Dead", the first in the George Smiley series from John Le Carre.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Decided to check out Jack Carr's books after watching 'The Terminal List'. Presently reading his 'The Devil's Hand'. So far, his books have been good reads.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Owen Wister’s “The Virginian.” No wonder it’s a classic read for 120 years now; it’s a great book and a fun read.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

After being on my Library's waiting list since before it was even published, Saturday I picked up Jack Carr's latest, In The Blood, James Reece book 5. I am about half way through it, and so far it proves to be just as good as the previous volumes.

ETA, finished it yesterday. An exciting and unexpected ending, leaving things primed for the next volume.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Just finished John le Carre's "A Legacy of Spies". I hadn't realized he'd put out a finale to the George Smiley series. I haven't been reading for quite some time. Very busy, and fell out of the habit. This was in a beach house I rented last week. It was nice to sit and finish a book. I was saddened to read that le Carre passes in 2020. I think I'll go back and re-read them all.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Visited Auschwitz last week and picked up this book at the bookstore there

Inside the Gas Chambers: Eight Months in the Sonderkommando of Auschwitz

This guy was charged with leading people in to the gas chambers, helping them get undressed and keeping them calm. After they were dead they searched the bodies for valuables, pulled gold teeth and then on the crematorium.

The book is basically an interview

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm 25% through Dissolving Illusions written by Dr. Suzanne Humphries concerning the historical issues with vaccines. What happened with the small pox vaccine in the late 1800's sounds like what's happening today. 92% five star rating on Amazon out of 2,231 total reviews.

Very Interesting

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The War on the West" by Douglas Murray

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
In remembrance of David Warner's passing, I'm going to reread Cross of Iron next.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
"The War on the West" by Douglas Murray

Just finished, what a read!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Last week I read "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck," by Mark Manson. ( Link.

From the Barnes and Noble description: "There are only so many things we can give a f**k about so we need to figure out which ones really matter, Manson makes clear. While money is nice, caring about what you do with your life is better, because true wealth is about experience. A much-needed grab-you-by-the-shoulders-and-look-you-in-the-eye moment of real-talk, filled with entertaining stories and profane, ruthless humor, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k is a refreshing slap for a generation to help them lead contented, grounded lives."

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've been traveling a lot lately, so I've been catching up on my reading on the plane.

I just finished The Martian (great read) and I'll be doing Fight Club on the next flight.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This week my wife and I are "isolating" in a cottage on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Neck District), to please our daughter-in-law and her Obstetrician. We have a grandson now 11 days old, but we're supposed to quarantine ourselves for another day.
So given that we are in a little cottage, can't go places or meet people, I decided to take up Tolstoy's War and Peace. I enjoyed the Sharpe series, etc. so why not THE novel about the Napoleonic wars?

I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. Finally getting the characters sorted out, and so far enjoying it--after I got past the initial scenes of the Russian upper crust socializing before the war.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any good leads on the life of the American Indian? Not modern day but more historical. I went through all 25 pages and found very little to look at.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Anyone have any good leads on the life of the American Indian? Not modern day but more historical. I went through all 25 pages and found very little to look at.

I can make a few suggestions.

Crazy Horse; The Strange Man of the Oglalas, a biography by Mari Sandoz;
Also by Sandoz, Cheyenne Autumn;
By Cheyenne Campfires, George Bird Grinnell;
The Lost Universe: Pawnee Life and Culture, Gene Weltfish;
On the Border with Crook, John G. Bourke;
Empire of the Summer Moon subtitled, “Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Tribe in American History.” S.C. Gwynne;
Finally, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown.

Edited to add: Black Elk Speaks, John G. Neihardt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

I can make a few suggestions.

I copied all of those to my notebook and will look them over...Thank you!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brad Thor - Rising Tiger
Daniel Silva - Portrait of an Unknown Woman

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post