SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I just finished Admiral McRaven's

Spec Ops: Case Studies in Special Operations Warfare: Theory and Practice

Very interesting study/analysis of eight special operations raids. It is very informative and in-depth.

https://www.amazon.com/Spec-Op...gid=pla-454100519486

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Shattered Sword by Jon Parshall and Anthony Tully. I can't believe I didn't discover it sooner. Couldn't put it down. Now I want to find The First Team by John Lundstrom

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Finished the "A. American" series last month, left me with no unread books.

Thinking of starting the Mountain Man series.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Serpico. The guy who was a NYPD cop and uncovered massive extortion on the part of virtually every cop he worked with.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Bernard Cornwall fan: you know, Sharpe, The Last Kingdom, many more novels of historical fiction from Stonehenge through King Arthur to the Saxon Chronicles to Agincourt to the US Civil War.
Having read all of those, I decided to play a winner, and started reading his modern-time "sailing thrillers".

Since I'm also a big fan of books on sail, but not a sailor myself, I will leave it to others to judge the accuracy of his sailing descriptions, which to me seem astounding. And I will quibble that he has invented a woman's name which should be "Nadezhda" but is not; and that he doesn't know how to work a 1911.
But as a storyteller, especially of thrillers, I would have to say there is no better.
I've finished the first two, Scoundrel and Wildtrack, and will finish the series. Unlike his other series, these are unconnected stories--well, except for the sailing, of course.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Finished Faster last night.
Non-fiction retelling of Delahaye/Rene Dreyfus' fight against the Nazi-backed Mercedes & Auto Union in the 30s

Well written, IMO, and kept me hooked.

I think I have Senna Versus Prost: Malcolm Folley queued up next, then I'll be on the hunt to expand my motorsports library.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Plague, Albert Camus. 1947 novel about a plague sweeping the French Algerian city of Oran. Every other book, some sort of classic. Next, Dave Grohl; The Storyteller , and after, Of Human Bondage, W. Somerset Maugham.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
About to finish up "The Road To Serfdom" by F. A. Hayek.

For a book written during WWII, it is eerily predictive of some of our current events.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
The latest book in the Jack Reacher series.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Have always known about it, having lived in Florida for more than 40 years, but never bothered to pick it up. Now I have, it’s good! A very pleasant walk down “old Florida” lane.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Marxism by Mark Liven.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The morning star by pierce brown. Third book of the red rising trillogy.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
I recently finished "The Split" by Kurt Schlichter. This is the latest and book 6 in his Kelly Turnbull series.
For those unfamiliar, the premise is that in the near future the U.S. has a civil war which divides the nation in two. What's left of the old U.S. and the newly formed People's Republic. The U.S. is conservative. The People's Republic is ultra liberal.
Turnbull is a U.S. operative who often finds himself in enemy territory on various adventures. Its fast paced and exciting reading. But mostly its a very interesting study of what could happen in an ultra liberal society. I highly recommend them.

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mosin-Nagant Rifle by Terence Lapin.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Foundation by Asimov is my current read.

I've been on a bit of a sci-fi classics kick lately.
- Starship Troopers by Heinlein
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by PKD
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Adams
- Game of Thrones by Martin
- Lots of short stories by PKD

Probably read Hyperion next. I read voraciously growing up, but never got into science fiction for whatever reason. Making up for lost time now.

well you are off to ta good start,

just a suggestion, but be sure to read the rest of the Adams' books, Hitchhiker's Guide is just a start,

read more Heinlein,

and get some Larry Niven,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm wading through Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin, April 1945 with the separate map book. Hardcover. I've already read three other books on this topic, but this is the definitive mac-daddy account. I've been fascinated with the fall of Berlin and last frenetic days of the Third Reich for quite some time. For some reason.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Vince Flynn (1966-2013) wrote 13 books about a gov't assassin named Mitch Rapp. I'm on book 6. These are very good reads. Rapp seems like a real person - who despises terrorism.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I just finished Retired Admiral William McRaven's Sea Stories - My Life In Special Operations.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
It is an excellent book. Communists never change, which means it's always timely.

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
About to finish up "The Road To Serfdom" by F. A. Hayek.

For a book written during WWII, it is eerily predictive of some of our current events.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Calico Joe by John Grisham.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post