SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    House of the Dragon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House of the Dragon Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
The lighting was also quite dark which I found annoying.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I do agree the unrelievedly dark sets were off-putting.

Which is especially confusing, considering this was one of the common complaints about the last season of Game of Thrones. There was so much fan outcry about the overly dark scenes that they actually went back through after the series ended and digitally re-corrected the lighting effects in a number of episodes.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That one episode where the big battle at Winterfell was basically a black screen for me. I don't have the newest latest greatest TV but its fairly new and modern and the episode was ridiculous.

They will fuck this up. I hope not but they will.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I guess it's a good thing that I watched it in my garage last night with all the lights off and my computer brightness turned to 11. Didn't notice the darkness issue.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some movies are shot in a very dark way because the cinematographer deliberately chose to go that route, with the film intended to be viewed in a blacked-out cinema with high quality digital projection. Complaints about them being too dark for the average home viewer hold less weight here, because the filmmaker's intention is for it to be viewed in a certain setting, and they optimized it for that. (See the mid-film city ruins scene from "1917", for example...)

But for a production like House of the Dragon that's solely intended for home streaming, there's no excuse for not optimizing it for the average home TV/computer setup. Which isn't in an ultra dark cinema or dedicated home theater room, or even a garage with all the lights out.

(Note that I don't have a personal frame of reference on its darkness, since I haven't seen the first episode yet. I was intending to wait until more episodes were available before diving into it. So it very well might be that ya'll just have TVs that suck. Big Grin That's an issue with many of the cheaper TVs these days... They appear to have all the bells and whistles when it comes to features and streaming and large screen dimensions, but the picture quality of the screen sucks, with muddied colors, washed-out blacks, and muted contrast, which can affect the viewability of dark scenes.)

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
HoD dark? Watched it on my computer last night and didn't think it was unwatchable dark.

I saw somewhere that they will e or just released GoT on the latest version of Blu-Ray and they lightened up the season again. If they keep doing it, people will start complaining it must have been filmed in a blizzard because the screen is all white..

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The men all look like they just left a Beverly Hills hair salon.
Hardly a Medieval look.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the first episode...probably because I had a seriously LOW bar on what to expect. So, I'll stick with it...for now.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I guess it's a good thing that I watched it in my garage last night with all the lights off and my computer brightness turned to 11. Didn't notice the darkness issue.

Am I the only one curious as to why you’re watching it in your garage? In the dark? Wink

Secret fan?

I know you were working on cooling it earlier this year, so maybe it’s become the movie zone, but inquiring minds..

Per the episode itself, blah. I was invested in GOT because I read the books..maybe that’s my problem here, but so far, no good. I’m having higher interest in other fare.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I’m having higher interest in other fare.

Such as? Curious.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I the only one curious as to why you’re watching it in your garage? In the dark?

Have a 60 in HDTV in my garage, big leather chair and as long as the temps are good, I'll sit out there and watch a movie with a cigar which I can't do inside the house...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida the garage is just an extension of the living room. Lol, sorta.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
That one episode where the big battle at Winterfell was basically a black screen for me. I don't have the newest latest greatest TV but its fairly new and modern and the episode was ridiculous.

Perhaps you need to recalibrate the display settings? I've got a plasma TV from 2012 and have no issues with the black levels--and plasmas were famous for having deep black levels.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm exaggerating. A little bit. My screen is fine. It's not plasma and its fairly new. That Winterfell episode was a shitshow. Only way to describe it. It was made for television and it was way too dark for most people. Personally I think they did it to save money. Little detail doesn't cost much and I have read they were being tight with the $$$ towards the end. On the most popular tv show of perhaps all time. Go figure.

HoD didn't seem dark to me at all. (same level of tv just 10 inches bigger)

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
I’m having higher interest in other fare.

Such as? Curious.

Sure. Not sure what you’re into, but Appletv has some good stuff.

"Trust, but verify."

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not an AppleTV subscriber.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Am I the only one curious as to why you’re watching it in your garage? In the dark? Wink

Secret fan?

I know you were working on cooling it earlier this year, so maybe it’s become the movie zone, but inquiring minds..

Per the episode itself, blah. I was invested in GOT because I read the books..maybe that’s my problem here, but so far, no good. I’m having higher interest in other fare.

Ha! Before I moved, my surround sound system had a bluetooth broadcast mode and I could watch movies late at night and not bother the kid or wife while they're sleeping. The receiver didn't survive the move and I haven't got a replacement solution for that yet.

My garage is nice and comfy now and with the lights completely out, I get no glare on the 16" MacBook pro. I can watch and listen with my Bose NC-700 HP headphones. Nice picture for up-close and nice sound.

And I don't have to worry about the 12-year old coming downstairs for a glass of water while any adult content is playing. The show is not exactly kid-friendly.

But you can use your imagination and draw some wacky conclusions if you like. Wink

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Razz
Put in perspective, it makes perfect sense.

Here’s hoping it gets more interesting (the show, that is).

"Trust, but verify."

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I'm exaggerating. A little bit. My screen is fine. It's not plasma and its fairly new. That Winterfell episode was a shitshow. Only way to describe it. It was made for television and it was way too dark for most people. Personally I think they did it to save money. Little detail doesn't cost much and I have read they were being tight with the $$$ towards the end. On the most popular tv show of perhaps all time. Go figure.

HoD didn't seem dark to me at all. (same level of tv just 10 inches bigger)

They did it for effect. It viewed very well in a HT. It looked great in mine. But most people do not have a light controlled room nor have a panel that does exceptionally well at blacks. Only certain panels excel in blacks so dark content looks phenomenal.

The thing that always pisses me off is made for tv or made for streaming things and it’s in letterbox. GTfo, make it full screen please. It wasn’t made for viewing in a cineplex.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Rhys Ifans (The Hand) was amazing. Keep in mind that this was a set-up episode, where they're introducing the characters and the plot. I actually think they tried to cram too much into the first episode.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was okay and will probably need a little time to develop.
I'll continue to watch.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post