SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    House of the Dragon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House of the Dragon Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
This shit is boring as hell.

exactly,

I have tried,

but between the folks of color with start white hair, the mumbling, and just overall boring shows, I gave up,

if it were just woke, that would be one thing, but woke and boring, sorry, not interested

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone still watching? Another boring episode that’s basically a long drawn out setup. Even a mid-episode decapitation couldn’t liven it up. Feel bad for Viserys, though. He’s a fool and let stuff go one for far too long without doing anything, but he didn’t really deserve to go out like this. Also, Alicent’s kids are really, really horrible.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. And I think it is a very well done production with mostly great acting and a mostly engaging storyline = better than most crap on TV.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I'm still watching, it's getting more interesting.

I can understand folks getting impatient with the extensive setup, but I much prefer it to later flashbacks or Bran-like revelations

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
basically same as last episode. a few people trying to be more friendly but the next generation edging us to a war that must come, even though they don't seem like they're ever gonna get to it.

for clarification, at the end viserys thinks he's talking to rhaenyra (not alicent) and his dying words are about the new baby Aegon (rhaenyra's baby with daemon), but alicent thinks he's talking about his/her oldest son. yes?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
for clarification, at the end viserys thinks he's talking to rhaenyra (not alicent) and his dying words are about the new baby Aegon (rhaenyra's baby with daemon), but alicent thinks he's talking about his/her oldest son. yes?

Yup...Alicent was leaning toward following her husband's wish for peace in the family until she misunderstood his dying meaning/wish.

She didn't have any context of what he was saying because he had never told her about the inscription on the dagger

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Yea, that’s right. But I’m not sure whether he was talking about the new baby Aegon, or mentioning the original Aegon in the context of the prophecy, but in any case, he wasn’t talking about Alicent’s Aegon (they really need to stop reusing names). The “you” in “you need to do this” that Viserys was referring to was Rhaenyra. So basically, the big war is going to be set off by a misunderstanding (although it probably would have happened anyway).

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wish this was better.

I'm still watching, but only because . . . well, because there isn't much else on than is better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still watching.
It passes the time and is somewhat entertaining. Will say that the Daemon character is about the best so far.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I knew the general history of the line, so that gave a bit of understanding where the show had to go,but it is not following the GoT show type. It’s far less violent and less sexual. More about the politics of the fantasy world.

They need to give up the dark lighting shows. It did not work.

My wife is still mad they changed the main actress instead of aging her. She liked her.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I knew the general history of the line, so that gave a bit of understanding where the show had to go,but it is not following the GoT show type. It’s far less violent and less sexual. More about the politics of the fantasy world.

They need to give up the dark lighting shows. It did not work.

My wife is still mad they changed the main actress instead of aging her. She liked her.

I suppose those not happy with the series were expecting GoT with more dragons, epic battles, huge women able to kick the shit out of huge men and loads of magic. It's differently not that. Yep, it's more about the politics, family feuds and how some of this influences the goings on in the future in GoT.

I get a little something from it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
This is season 1. Season 1 of GoT is about the same. Lots of politics/intrigue in episode 1-7. 8 ends with King Robert getting mortally wounded by the boar just as Ned discovers Cercie and Jamie's incest secret. And episode 9 is when hell breaks loose in the story.

But unlike GoT, HotD just has issues. Bad cinematography and sound editing. Writing could be tightened up and more content included in each episode. Plus this series feels like you need to watch the commentary after the episode to get the items the writers failed to explain in the show, like Alicent being mistaken for Rhyana by the dying king. In GoT you couldn't get too attached to a character because next episode that character could be killed. In HotD, that character could have their actor replaced and you miss the clue that there was a swap, or you just knew they would be there for the episode and a new one next week.

The preview for the next shows the fighting starts. Here's hoping that the writers will settle down, get their focus, and we can have an episode with all the same actors as the last one.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
GoT also had compelling characters - Tyrion, Ned, Jamie, Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys, Joffrey, and Robert Baratheon, all in just the first season.

The time jumps prevent any development of secondary characters beyond anything superficial. There's also little sharply-written dialog by characters such as Tyrion.

But I'll keep watching.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well let’s face it, the sharp writing was the author. This tale is from his book of Targaryen history. It was long on story not so much on dialogue. The screenwriters have to make that up. They aren’t in the same league nor are they up to the task.

It’s better than most of the drivel but it ain’t exactly mooring me to the TV screen either.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, this show is so infuriating. A very slow and boring episode, with the only thing of any real consequence happening at the end, and even that didn’t really have any payoff. Until we get there, we have to watch a boring council meeting, people trying to find Aegon (who apparently likes kiddie bum fights in the seedy part of town) and Lord Larys’ foot fetish on Queen Alicent. The end was what I was wishing for the entire episode, but then they wussed out on doing what should have been done (although admittedly it would have pretty much ended the season, and probably the show). No Daemon or Rhaenyra to even make it marginally interesting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

posted Hide Post
Maybe this will turn a corner now with this episode and the season finale coming up. Maybe.
I'm still watching though. Mildly entertaining.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
This episode was lame. Even the big finally was a giant WTF!!! After the sneak peak of this episode last week, I have a low bar set for the season finally. I thought we would see houses rallying and fighting atarting this episode. As for next week, I am putting a bet down that it is 50 minutes of people at Dragonstone arguing, and the swords being drawn on the bridge will be at the end where Alicent sends a sternly written letter to bend the knee, and after the threat of a fight, both sides back down and agree to return to their bases and consider their options.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been stumbling along with this and have not found it all that endearing.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The episode should have ended with a family barbecue.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
The episode should have ended with a family barbecue.

Agreed, but that would have ended the show right there and then, and it’s already been renewed for a second season. I’ve heard they are shooting for it lasting four seasons.

I just hope they don’t kill off Daemon in the finale (which is possible, given the book it’s based on, as well as what’s shown in the trailer for the next episode), which would probably kill the show for many people, since he’s the most interesting character. But, in the book, his body is never found, so it’s never confirmed that he really did die.